Discontinuation of the Key to the World Card expanding to All Star Resorts

RonAnnArbor

The RFID does all in one as well -- exactly like the Magic Band -- even annual passes and older tickets can be associated with your MDE account and it all shows on your RFID KTTW card...what is changing is 100% related to FP+, not to the way the rest of the system works. As to "opting out" I don't see how they can do that. Once you are in their system you are in their system. Right now they aren't tracking anyone with RFID inside the parks -- they can't even get them to work right for scanning charges and FP+ let alone worrying about traffic flow via RFID tracking....

asialeigh

All guests will receive a MagicBand, but a Key to the World card can be requested (emphasis mine). However, it will not have an active magnetic strip, meaning it cannot be used for regular FASTPASS, but can be used in place of, or in addition to a MagicBand.
As long as a KTTW card can be requested (I recommend it, BTW), I'm okay with this. After I lost my MB over Veterans Day weekend, I was grateful for having my KTTW card to gain entry to my room after returning from evening EMH rather than having to go the front desk in the early a.m. and spend who knows how much time to get another MB. (I did request one the next morning.) I would also recommend requesting a backup card for your ticket/pass too. Again, without my MB the rest of the day in AK, I could still use my plastic card instead.

Magic bands can also be replaced at Guest Relations. Also front desks are open with CMs 24/7 so you could've gotten a new one when you got back. It's a quick and simple process.

JohnD

Magic bands can also be replaced at Guest Relations. Also front desks are open with CMs 24/7 so you could've gotten a new one when you got back. It's a quick and simple process.

I got a replacement. Sorry, but it wasn't "quick and simple". I did get a replacement at guest relations in AK. When I returned to my resort, the band wouldn't work on my door. Fortunately, I had my KTTW card to let me in. When I went to the front desk at the resort, I was told that room access couldn't be added to my re-issued MB. (It would work at all future visits but not this one.) They could issue me ANOTHER MB for just this visit. I told them that's crazy. So, no, asialeigh, it was NOT "quick and simple". Sorry to disappoint.

rct247

I got a replacement. Sorry, but it wasn't "quick and simple". I did get a replacement at guest relations in AK. When I returned to my resort, the band wouldn't work on my door. Fortunately, I had my KTTW card to let me in. When I went to the front desk at the resort, I was told that room access couldn't be added to my re-issued MB. (It would work at all future visits but not this one.) They could issue me ANOTHER MB for just this visit. I told them that's crazy. So, no, asialeigh, it was NOT "quick and simple". Sorry to disappoint.

^ Yup, and you probably lost the Fastpasses connected to your families account too on that band which makes things so unpleasant at each FP attraction.

JerseyDad

I wonder if there is anything to read into this being done with VALUE resorts only so far...

....because they are the "wretched refuse" and the "flotsam & jetsam" all rolled into one big ball. They are being 'conditioned' to expect to have less frivolities bestowed upon them.....

asialeigh

Well I'm sorry that happened to you but it is normally a process that does not require all that.

asialeigh

^ Yup, and you probably lost the Fastpasses connected to your families account too on that band which makes things so unpleasant at each FP attraction.

But the fast passes are actually linked to the account, so getting a new band doesn't mess that up.

stevehousse

My son lost his band at DHS and a quick trip to GS, which took a good 5-10 minutes to complete and FP+s reloaded! It was extremely quick and easy. I was very much expecting results like some of you have claimed, but I recieved the exact opposite! I was impressed with how well my situation was handled and in a timely manner. This was also at about 2pm on a Saturday afternoon with only 1 person in front of me. Waited 2 minutes before I was with a CM!

HouCuseChickie

OK- I've been out of the loop for a while. When we tested bands back in September, we had to book all of our FP+ in advance via the Internet, but obviously also had the option of using our KTTWC for traditional FPs- which we wound up having to do a lot b/c our special tickets only worked for 1 day of FP+. So, if you're staying at one of the values and are relying solely on a magic band for your fast passes, does that mean your only access to any form of fast pass is by doing this advance FP+ booking online?

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I have some friends going to WDW at the end of the month, staying at Pop, and had planned much of their trip around the old FP system. I've been out of the WDW loop of late, so I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Rob562

OK- I've been out of the loop for a while. When we tested bands back in September, we had to book all of our FP+ in advance via the Internet, but obviously also had the option of using our KTTWC for traditional FPs- which we wound up having to do a lot b/c our special tickets only worked for 1 day of FP+. So, if you're staying at one of the values and are relying solely on a magic band for your fast passes, does that mean your only access to any form of fast pass is by doing this advance FP+ booking online?

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I have some friends going to WDW at the end of the month, staying at Pop, and had planned much of their trip around the old FP system. I've been out of the WDW loop of late, so I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Correct.

If the Guest doesn't want to wear the Band they can request an RFID card from the Front Desk, but it won't have a mag-stripe on it and thus can't be used to get paper FP's.

-Rob

Figments Friend

I was recently poking around on the official WDW website...just to check out the new overlay and see what they had up there regarding the MM+/FP+. I was curious as to how they are presenting it there, and go quite a eyeful.
Lots of changes since i was last looking around there back in January.

Happened to look at my account to see the recent additional info ( after agreeing to the new 'Terms of Service' before i could, mind you...) and noticed that my KTTW card from this past January's visit that i was given back at that time is still listed as 'active'.

What the....?

When i last visited earlier this year, the new RFID KTTW cards were brand new..and room doors at the Values had just been installed with the new 'touch and go' door bolts.
So this KTTW card is still showing up in my account as 'active'....and i am wondering why?

I already visited....done deal...won't be back for a while likely....but i am under the impression this could be 're-loaded' at some point?
This has probably be discussed already, but i thought it worth mentioning.

I was not expecting a card i used in January to open my hotel room door to still be listed as 'active' in the new system.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I was recently poking around on the official WDW website...just to check out the new overlay and see what they had up there regarding the MM+/FP+. I was curious as to how they are presenting it there, and go quite a eyeful.
Lots of changes since i was last looking around there back in January.

Happened to look at my account to see the recent additional info ( after agreeing to the new 'Terms of Service' before i could, mind you...) and noticed that my KTTW card from this past January's visit that i was given back at that time is still listed as 'active'.

What the....?

When i last visited earlier this year, the new RFID KTTW cards were brand new..and room doors at the Values had just been installed with the new 'touch and go' door bolts.
So this KTTW card is still showing up in my account as 'active'....and i am wondering why?

I already visited....done deal...won't be back for a while likely....but i am under the impression this could be 're-loaded' at some point?
This has probably be discussed already, but i thought it worth mentioning.

I was not expecting a card i used in January to open my hotel room door to still be listed as 'active' in the new system.
I have numerous KTTW cards on my MDE from previous trips (in addition to 5 active MagicBands). I also wonder why those are still there.

stevehousse

I am going to purposefully loose my MB at the MK and see how long it takes to get it replaced
It honestly should take no more than 5-10 minutes at guest services depending on the "line" to get in. This happened to my kid at DHS. 5 minutes later he had a new band, same color, and FPs worked just fine.

Last edited:

Rob562

I have numerous KTTW cards on my MDE from previous trips (in addition to 5 active MagicBands). I also wonder why those are still there.

RFID key cards, RFID park tickets and MagicBands are simply all "pointers" to your MDE profile. Perhaps at some point in the future they'll implement an "auto-deactivate" for items that aren't Bands, but I'm sure that's one headache they're skipping for now in case its implementation goes wrong.

In theory, any card/ticket/Band that you get and associate with your profile can be used to reference your profile, whether it's for park admission, FP+ or whatever.

Under the old system you had a rather de-centralized system, where room keys did their thing, park tickets did their own thing, FastPass machines did theirs, etc. Now, your MDE profile is the center of the system, and everything either lives in your profile (park tickets, FP+ reservations) or points to it (Bands, cards, RFID tickets) so that systems that need to access specific information (front gate, FP+ tap posts, hotel room door locks, interactive features in attractions) that they need.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom