Disco Shaman Watch 2017

drizgirl

It saddens me the complete misunderstanding this person has of the yeti situation.... they would need to gut the entire mountain to fix it. They will someday but not yet.

Or maybe the PP totally gets it (like a most big Disney Parks fans) and thought it would make a funny joke.

drizgirl

But isn't the joke played out at this point?
I think for some the joke was played out and they would have preferred to have the thread die on the vine when Marni1971 posted that some inside the company were actually placing bets. But I think that post, right after the barrage of posts berating the OP for daring to say what he did, is what made this such a great thread.

FettFan

I just watched the "full ride" video....holy crap. That was IT? Eesh. It makes the Gran Fiesta Tour look like SheiKra.

Look, I understand wanting a gentle family-friendly ride for the land to draw in more guests....but this is horribly, horribly underwhelming. Sure the Shaman animatronic is impressive....but that's it. Remember that time in the movie where Jake Sully got attacked by the Pandora lion alien thing?

And after that, he escaped by jumping off a waterfall. Why not have the same thing here....maybe one of those decides to snarl at you and you go over a flume to safety before exiting?

After seeing what Disney did with the Shanghai Pirates of the Caribbean, i was expecting so much more from this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And after that, he escaped by jumping off a waterfall. Why not have the same thing here....maybe one of those decides to snarl at you and you go over a flume to safety before exiting?

And then you'd have folks complaining about a "something's gone wrong, follow me" ride. Which they do.

Disney can't win here. You put a drop and people will complain about why every ride has to have a drop. And when they don't, you complain.

The ride is rather purposefully calm, smooth, family friendly and meant to be visual feast and give one a taste of being in a truly alien environment. It's in the family of "It's a Small World". And so, it is what it is. Complaining about it being what it is misses the point of what it is. It would be like complaining that all coasters go fast. If you want thrills, then Flight of Passage is for you.

FettFan

And then you'd have folks complaining about a "something's gone wrong, follow me" ride. Which they do.

Disney can't win here. You put a drop and people will complain about why every ride has to have a drop. And when they don't, you complain.

The ride is rather purposefully calm, smooth, family friendly and meant to be visual feast and give one a taste of being in a truly alien environment. It's in the family of "It's a Small World". And so, it is what it is. Complaining about it being what it is misses the point of what it is. It would be like complaining that all coasters go fast. If you want thrills, then Flight of Passage is for you.

Not necessarily "thrills"... just "not dull".

Think about all of the animals featured in "Avatar"...the hummingbird-horses,
61CvBU7vazL._SL1126_.jpg

the hammerhead rhinoceros,
latest

the aforementioned space-lions, etc.

And none of that shows up. We've got one AAA animatronic Avatar, one B-Grade animatronic Avatar, and a bunch of projection screens. It's a total snoozer, and seems to me that this ride was created simply to be a time-eater for people with Flight of Passage fast passes.

HMF

Sad to see the direction this site has taken over the years. I'm not certain if I am disappointed or fascinated watching a very small minority herd people into the Pit of Despair (over the Cliffs of Insanity?); either way, it is an interesting social experiment.
Blame Team Disney Orlando for always conditioning us to expect the worst.

Raineman

If Disney wants to maximize the return on their investment, and doesn't want a repeat of the Yeti situation, wouldn't the most sensible thing to do be to run the Shaman in the "A" mode just long enough to get recorded by vloggers and their own media people for the commercials, and then switch to the maintenance-saving "B" mode once the park is open for the rest of its service life?
That would definitely extend the life of the AA, but it would take away from the ride experience if it was constantly in "B" mode, with the AA being the big payoff at the end. I just think there needs to be more preventive maintenance on this AA to ensure that there is no long breakdowns/refurbs-shut the ride down for a day every six months and replace any components that are wearing out. I don't think this will turn into another Yeti situation, but this AA could end up with much more limited motion if they don't take care of it.

HMF

If Disney wants to maximize the return on their investment, and doesn't want a repeat of the Yeti situation, wouldn't the most sensible thing to do be to run the Shaman in the "A" mode just long enough to get recorded by vloggers and their own media people for the commercials, and then switch to the maintenance-saving "B" mode once the park is open for the rest of its service life?
Disney used to aim to exceed Guest expectations. Now "good enough" is good enough.

Gelatoni

My problem is with is ride we have no story at all. Its like a day in the life navi style. The shaman is cool but no other action at all. Nothing ties this ride together....

Bandini

My problem is with is ride we have no story at all. Its like a day in the life navi style. The shaman is cool but no other action at all. Nothing ties this ride together....
Sounds like a repeat of ROL.
One of the things I appreciate the most about the Disney experience is the backstory that is created around an attraction. EE, HM, and JC are just a few great examples. I think it's what makes these rides classics.

disney4life2008

I just watched the "full ride" video....holy crap. That was IT? Eesh. It makes the Gran Fiesta Tour look like SheiKra.

Look, I understand wanting a gentle family-friendly ride for the land to draw in more guests....but this is horribly, horribly underwhelming. Sure the Shaman animatronic is impressive....but that's it. Remember that time in the movie where Jake Sully got attacked by the Pandora lion alien thing?

After seeing what Disney did with the Shanghai Pirates of the Caribbean, i was expecting so much more from this.

LOL the last few months, every thing that came out of disney about this ride was it was this amazing journey and at the end you are blown away by what you see LOL. Yes, the shaman is amazing; however, that is the focal point of the ride? Tragic. Honestly, I think people will negate the other 4 minutes of the ride just to focus on the Shaman

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom