Disco Shaman Watch 2017

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Pirates and HM Both have stories -_-

Not sure if serious...

Anyway, Disney can't win. Disney gets derided for creating stories "Why does everything have to have a story?!", and now, it's decried for a ride without a story. DIYDDIYD.

Anyways, NRJ does have a story: You're sight-seeing on another planet (moon). You're observing a conservation operation making up for the mistakes humanity made. Total metaphor for what's happening on earth now. Totally the story of almost all of Animal Kingdom. And so the conservation company is letting you see the flora, fauna, and inhabitants of this moon up close.

It's pretty much the Safari ride but in a different environment, only there is no Little Red, at least, not any more. Some people miss the Little Red story, others don't. It's a matter of taste.

Can one wish that this particular ride had it's own self-contained episodic story? Sure. Does the lack of such a story make it a bad ride? Again, that's a matter of taste. If one thinks it's a bad ride for the lack of story, then I'm sure that one will boldly proclaim how much Kilimanjaro Safari Trek also sucks for the same reason.

Raineman

I have to ask, for everyone who is already making critical judgments on this attraction-how many of you have experienced this ride yet? How can you base an opinion solely on a POV video on YouTube? Let me be the one to tell you - you can't. Unless you have been on the ride, you can speculate, as we all can, but there are so many intangibles in a Disney attraction that you don't see, hear or feel unless you are the one sitting in the ride vehicle. By June or July, if a number of people are expressing their disappointment in this ride, or anything else in Pandora, I would consider that a valid opinion. Condemning Disney for an attraction that hasn't even opened yet, that only a select handful of people have experienced? All completely baseless opinions, IMO.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Not sure if serious...

Anyway, Disney can't win. Disney gets derided for creating stories "Why does everything have to have a story?!", and now, it's decried for a ride without a story. DIYDDIYD.

Anyways, NRJ does have a story: You're sight-seeing on another planet (moon). You're observing a conservation operation making up for the mistakes humanity made. Total metaphor for what's happening on earth now. Totally the story of almost all of Animal Kingdom. And so the conservation company is letting you see the flora, fauna, and inhabitants of this moon up close.

It's pretty much the Safari ride but in a different environment, only there is no Little Red, at least, not any more. Some people miss the Little Red story, others don't. It's a matter of taste.

Can one wish that this particular ride had it's own self-contained episodic story? Sure. Does the lack of such a story make it a bad ride? Again, that's a matter of taste. If one thinks it's a bad ride for the lack of story, then I'm sure that one will boldly proclaim how much Kilimanjaro Safari Trek also sucks for the same reason.
Exactly -- here's the backstory: you're a tourist on Pandora, and so you do touristy things on Pandora, like ride "It's A Blue World" and "Soarin' Over Pandora."

FettFan

Once again, story isn't the component I'm critical of. Heck, "it's a small world" doesn't have a story, aside from "Dolls Sing and Dance".

It's the fact that you're on a boat ride with very little to see except for some glowing plants, a few projections, and the Shaman. And as impressive as she is, I personally could not justify waiting in a huge line to see her.

The concept for this ride reminds me of a more advanced version of the ET Adventure at Universal....heck, it's practically the same story, just get rid of the opening police chase and switch out ET's Green Planet with Avatar's Blue Pandora.

But whereas ET was chock-full of animatronics and things happening (singing mushroom aliens! baby ET's swinging from vines!), Navi River Journey....has two Navi animatronics, one of which barely moves, a handful of spinning yellow discs, and digital projections.

Navi River Journey COULD have been an A+ attraction, but as it is, it only looks like a C, and THAT is only from the impressive Shaman.

Cesar R M

Just the tip?
hMZOVSb.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
Once again, story isn't the component I'm critical of. Heck, "it's a small world" doesn't have a story, aside from "Dolls Sing and Dance".

It's the fact that you're on a boat ride with very little to see except for some glowing plants, a few projections, and the Shaman. And as impressive as she is, I personally could not justify waiting in a huge line to see her.

The concept for this ride reminds me of a more advanced version of the ET Adventure at Universal....heck, it's practically the same story, just get rid of the opening police chase and switch out ET's Green Planet with Avatar's Blue Pandora.

But whereas ET was chock-full of animatronics and things happening (singing mushroom aliens! baby ET's swinging from vines!), Navi River Journey....has two Navi animatronics, one of which barely moves, a handful of spinning yellow discs, and digital projections.

Navi River Journey COULD have been an A+ attraction, but as it is, it only looks like a C, and THAT is only from the impressive Shaman.

Your grade of C is accurate. Because it's been labeled as a C-Ticket for some time.

If you went into this expecting an E-Ticket you did yourself a disservice because it was not supposed to be an E-ticket. I don't ride Mexico expecting Pirates, but I enjoy both attractions for what they are.

FettFan

Your grade of C is accurate. Because it's been labeled as a C-Ticket for some time.

If you went into this expecting an E-Ticket you did yourself a disservice because it was not supposed to be an E-ticket. I don't ride Mexico expecting Pirates, but I enjoy both attractions for what they are.

Ha. No, I'm talking a C from a teacher's perspective....as in "hell, son, put some EFFORT into this!"

From a ticket perspective....B.

Tom Morrow

Just throwing in my two cents, I rode River Journey without having watched any spoiler videos, and I think it's the perfect C or D ticket level attraction for the land. I like that it's old school and there's no story, just a boat ride with tons of beautiful lights.

What concerns me, however, is the capacity seems extremely low when it should have been a people eater. I have avoided most discussion of Avatarland so I don't know how much this has been discussed. The low capacity will lead to waits that are too long for this level of an attraction, building up people's expectations higher than they should be.

Cesar R M

Just throwing in my two cents, I rode River Journey without having watched any spoiler videos, and I think it's the perfect C or D ticket level attraction for the land. I like that it's old school and there's no story, just a boat ride with tons of beautiful lights.

What concerns me, however, is the capacity seems extremely low when it should have been a people eater. I have avoided most discussion of Avatarland so I don't know how much this has been discussed. The low capacity will lead to waits that are too long for this level of an attraction, building up people's expectations higher than they should be.
Isnt this the current trend of Disney? very huge queues, rides with very low capacity...

bethymouse

Unfortunately IMHO, there will be trouble. Soft openings should begin soon... at least having people walk through to demonstrate capacity of Pandora itself... not just the rides ( of which the Banshee ride has not had much attention given to it yet).:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom