Disappointed by Disney

Atta83

Yes, but in this girls case it looked like they did not have auditions at her school.... thats why some people try out while they are down on their college program.

TheDisneyGirl02

The College Program is what you make of it...I loved both of my programs.

And it truly is an internship for some people. Some people who I knew on my first program, got 12 credits from his school for doing his job. That is an internship and not just exploiting labor from college kids...

oh well...

TheDisneyGirl02

disneygirlmom

Cp

My daughter has been at WDW for almost a year now. What started as a one semester internship in staging ended up extending into a one year deal in entertainment. She is in character now and loving it. Not to say that every aspect is perfect, but then, what job is?? However, she would shadow employees on her days off and talked to people to find out what she needed to do to audition. Sure, she had some rough times, some roommates that weren't the best, but overall she's enjoyed herself and I know that she will miss it very much when she returns. It is what you make of it.

JLW11Hi

Ha! I've seen that article before....

Anyway, I'm having a blast down here. I've been able to see and do a ton of stuff. Showcase of Oppertunities, classes, Time Management with Lee Cockerell (very good class), tours, all sorts of stuff. Of course, there are a ton of people here who really hate the program. I think that the program is really best for people who are interested in working specifically for Disney.

The work gets old after a while, but that's the same with any job.

Oh, and apparently the program is changing next year a bit. The College Program will be known as "The Disney College Program" and will encompass Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Imagineering! I'm excited to see what this all entails...

markc

This is the first time I've seen that article, and it makes some very valid points. My biggest complaint with the program and the recruiters is how misleading they make the program sound. It's misleading to call it an internship; because it isn't. An internship implies that you're working in a position that gives you experience and or exposure to a professional job. Selling popcorn, pushing a button to start a ride, or driving a tram does NOT constitute a professional job. This program was created solely as a creative way to fill those menial minimum wage jobs which would normally be harder to fill for Disney. The quality of the "classes" (if that's what you want to call them) that the program offers is negligble as well. Most colleges won't give credit for them because they're fairly flimsy from a practical and educational standpoint. And another valid point this article makes is the "networking" promise that is made in the presentations. If this were a normal internship, I'd agree that networking should be self-initiated; however for the presentations that I've attended, ALL of the recruiters made it seem like the program was structured so that help would be given to find the appropriate person to shadow. I think that's the key problem with this program; it isn't properly structured in the favor of anybody particpating in the WDWCP. The classes are nice, but there needs to be more of a focus on professional development and ensure that everybody who would like a mentor/somebody to shadow will get that opportunity.

With that criticism being said, I think the program is great for those who truely love Disney or for those people who maybe attending a local school (and living at home) who would like the chance to be on their own for awhile. And the Advanced Internship Program is a great program with great exposure and relevant work to allow somebody to get good experience. However, the regular WDWCP is an awful program for anybody looking for real professional development, and it's certainly does not live up to the hype that the presentations and the recruiters tend to make it out to be.

TiggersPooh

I am going to be in the CP from april-aug and i know that they will use me. and im fine with that. I want to work at Disney after college so i figure this would help me with that.

My last job really used me...it was at an local amusement park. That was some harsh times. Noffin like runnin a ride by yourself (Merry Oldies...kinda like the cars in tomorrowland)...for hours straight sometimes without water.

Anyways...DISNEY YAY!

wdwcptink04-05

First of all, as a writer you should not have so many grammar errors in your writing. Secondly, some of the college program alumni cast members are wrong in the information they gave you. We are not promised 40 hours each week, it is only 30.
Thirdly, The first cast member you quoted obviously did not apply himself during his college program. It is very easy to make connections with Walt Disney World Leaders. In the communications paper issued once a month are Career Insights with Leaders from all around property. You need to do a little more research before you start writing about things you do not know about. You are giving out wrong information and you need to be more careful.
Have a Disney Day!
Tiffany

MrMorrowTom

Well I would say good advice but this article is over a decade old. Things have changed and there is more opportunity for networking. I did the program in 2007 attractions host and i made a lot of networking connections.

BigTxEars

:ROFLOL:

College kids having to work entry level jobs for little money, welcome to life little ones :wave:

Might be a older out of date article but I am not sure the mindset of some of the youth today has changed much even if the Disney program has.

Kids going into the military at the same age have real hardships, these kids just seem like they are a wee bit spoilt IMO. :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Well I would say good advice but this article is over a decade old. Things have changed and there is more opportunity for networking. I did the program in 2007 attractions host and i made a lot of networking connections.
Over a decade?!?!

8 years and 11 months is not even a decade.

CaptainShortty

The college program is truly all what you make of it. I absolutely loved my program and wish everyday I could go back. If you take the time to meet people and do networking than you'll come out on top. Your managers, other CPs and CMs, that's all networking and knowing them (and being able to stay connected to them after your program) will definitely help you in the long run. You truly have to take advantage of every opportunity on the program and you will have the time of your life.

You don't make a lot of money but you DO make enough to live on for the most part if you're careful how you spend it. The internship is worth more than money though. Having Disney on your resume at such a young stage of going into the workforce says so much about your character, work ethic and overall attitude towards dealing with people. No matter what field you go into it is likely you're going to have to deal with people and working for Disney shows that you are a people-person.

I wouldn't give my time in the college program back for anything in the world. I met the most incredible people, learned so much about being in the hospitality industry and so much about myself. If you go on the program, take advantage of what you can and make the most of every day.

RonAnnArbor

First of all -- the article is more than EIGHT YEARS OLD -- the program has changed a lot, just in the past couple of years....

Secondly, as an educator, I can assure you that something like the Disney College Program is completely up to the individual as to what they make of it. There are ample opportunities for networking, getting to know people, and finding a way to get yourself ingratiated with the right people.

BUt like everywhere else, this is considered an internship. The cream rises to the top, the others do their job and move along with something nice on their resume. Kids that are shy and quiet aren't going to have anyone look out for them and make sure they suddenly become more assertive. People who don't look for opportunities to volunteer extra time, jump in on special projects, and physically look for more opportunities aren't going to have them handed to them. Disney always looks for volunteers from the College Program folks. Very few actually do that. You volunteer to do the candlelight singing in Epcot, you gain points and get to know people. You volunteer to help with other special events, you get points. You sit in your dorm room and watch tv, you don't get points.

It's like any job. I take 8 interns a year at my job. I expect one, maybe two, to stand out and have a future in my field. The others get a good work experience and a recommendation from me. Maybe one every three or four years might get a permanent job offer from me personally. That doesn't mean the other folks don't get a great internship. But if they don't stand out from the crowd, they aren't going to make it in my company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom