disabled/handicapped

rpgman

I have severe RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) especially in my legs and arms.... standing in long lines is hard for me.

how hard and what do I need to show in order to get special passes to go to the head of the line....?

thanx,

rpgman

crazygirley

Pretty hard without a wheel chair. My father had surgery on his knees last summer just before we left. He did not want a wheel chair (my dad doesn't want anyone feeling sorry for him, so he refused the wheel chair.) He had braces on both his knees, and could barely walk, and no one gave us any breaks (and we didn't ask for any). But If you plan on getting special treatment for your disablilty, get a wheel chair. If not, prepare to wait in line like everyone else.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

If you haven't considered a wheelchair, you probably should.

There is massive amounts of walking involved in a week at WDW. (I seem to recall that the walk around World Showcase is over a mile.) There is also a lot of unavoidable standing other than in line for rides (waiting for a parade, in line for fast food, shopping, etc.)

You can rent standard wheelchairs or ECVs at the parks, or from a medical supply co. in Orlando (they will deliver them to your hotel lobby).

At some rides, people in wheelchairs are directed to a side entrance, or through the exit, or other special access.

More and more, as rides go down for re-hab, the queues are made wheelchair accessible. For those rides you will wait like everyone else.

BTW--the Americans with Disabilities Act requires equal access. This does not necessarily mean preferential treatment, such as going to the front of a line.

Your best bet is to get the brochure from Disney for guests with disabilities. There are also first-hand information on the internet about WDW in a wheelchair.

Upvote 0

rpgman

Original Poster
from my understanding, you can go to the guest relations office at every park, show some prove (like Doctors orders) and hopefully they will accommodate you.

you stated:

"and no one gave us any breaks (and we didn't ask for any)'

so, I take it you didn't try that.

I also don't like to be treated any differentl than anyone else, but standing and walking long distances with RA is painful. So, eventhough I hate it, I'm at least going to try the above.

rpgman

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by rpgman
from my understanding, you can go to the guest relations office at every park, show some prove (like Doctors orders) and hopefully they will accommodate you.

I'm not trying to be snotty here--just curious.

Exactly what kind of accommodations were you hoping for?

Upvote 0

crazygirley

Originally posted by rpgman

If you know all this, then why are you even asking us? You HAVE to have a wheel chair to get anything special as far as lines are concerned, and that doctors note thing, we tried it. All they do is offer you a WHEEL CHAIR. I think that you must be uncomfortable with the fact that you might need a wheel chair, and that's fine. Just be prepared to stand and wait like everyone else!

Upvote 0

rpgman

Original Poster
"I'm not trying to be snotty here--just curious.

Exactly what kind of accommodations were you hoping for?"

oh, I understand.....

I was hoping to not have to stand in line if the lines were long....I would only use the 'head of the line pass' in those situations. Otherwise, if the lines weren't that long, I don't mind standing for a short time.

I have handicapped plates on both my cars, and I only use the handicapped parking spaces when my RA is acting up, otherwise I park in the regular parking spaces.

rpgman

Upvote 0

rpgman

Original Poster
"If you know all this, then why are you even asking us? You HAVE to have a wheel chair to get anything special as far as lines are concerned, and that doctors note thing, we tried it. All they do is offer you a WHEEL CHAIR. I think that you must be uncomfortable with the fact that you might need a wheel chair, and that's fine. Just be prepared to stand and wait like everyone else!"

I was asking what other people have experienced. Yes, just like your dad, I'm uncomfortable using a wheelchair. But, if that's all their going to offer, then I'll pass.

See, I didn't "know all of this"....so, it doesn't hurt to ask on a message board what others have encountered.

I didn't know that you had to have a wheelchair.

See, you learn something new eveyday, don't you?

rpgman

Upvote 0

crazygirley

It's really sad when you see a family member suffering and in pain, and it's also really sad when they refuse to accept help (the wheel chair) because they refuse to accept the fact that they might need help (the wheel chair.) I can understand that you don't want the wheel chair. Just try to take frequent sitting breaks, take it slow, and if worse comes to worse, skip the rides with the long lines and wait on a bench or in a resturaunt while your family rides them (there are often waiting areas at the end of these kind of rides where you can sit and wait.) Have fun!

Upvote 0

conntom

I have 3 disk out in my lower back and arttritis of about knees
I rent the ECVs its 40.00$ and when you bring it back you
get 10.00$ back that was last year.
I don't ask to go head of the line wait like every body but that
is me.

Upvote 0

rpgman

Original Poster
"Have fun!"

crazygirley,

will do, how can I not with my 5yr old son and 2yr old daughter !!!

your advice is greatly appreciated.

rpgman

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I can understand that you may be self-conscious about the wheelchair.

Believe me when I say that you are the only one who is.

Wheelchairs are all over WDW. People who look perfectly "normal" use them because they have hidden problems with mobility, such as RA, dizziness, weakness, bad heart, etc.

IMHO, you will enjoy yourself much more from a wheelchair than you will from a bench. You WANT to be in line with your kids for Dumbo--why let your wife have all the fun??

This is a major vacation--WDW is not an inexpensive destination. You owe it to yourself to get maximum enjoyment from it. You won't be happy, nor will your family, if you are in pain.

Try it on foot and see what happens. You can always rent a wheelchair at the parks (although the ECVs do go quickly) if you feel you need one.

Swallow your pride--it doesn't taste too bad--especially with a chocolate chaser.

Upvote 0

rpgman

Original Poster
"Try it on foot and see what happens. You can always rent a wheelchair at the parks (although the ECVs do go quickly) if you feel you need one. "

Yellow Shoes,

thanks for all your advice also.

rpgman

Upvote 0

Bagheera

From my understanding, Guest Services will give you passes to accommodate your need, nothing more and nothing less. If you need a pass to avoid lines, they will note that you cannot stand on lines on the special accommodations pass. This does not mean that you automatically go to the head of the line. In many cases, they will do the same as for folks in wheelchairs when they can't be mainstreamed in the regular queue. You get a return pass with a time approximately the same as the Fastpass return (for Fastpass attractions), and you can go straight on at that time. With my father-in-law, who did ride in an ECV, we got that treatment at several attractions. Go to Guest Services at hte park entrance and ask what sort of accommodations are available.

As far as some of the comments by others on this thread, wheelchairs are NOT required for special accommodations. There are many maladies that do not require wheelchairs or any other visible form of aid. For example, for those with children with ADHD, passes to avoid lines are also available. Please do not assume that all handicaps (or restrictions) are visible. Disney recognizes that fact, and will make reasonable accommodation for anyone that needs it. Also, bear in mind that wheelchairs are mainstreamed into the regular queue in more and more attractions.

That said, I'd recommend to rpgman that he rent a wheelchair or ECV due to the tremendous amounts of walking involved in any of the four parks. Further, I'd recommend making use of Fastpass, as well. When with relatives who are using wheelchairs or ECVs, we use Fastpass when available, and only use the special accommodations for wheelchair guests when Fastpass is not available.

Upvote 0

kosherkid411

As far as wheelchairs go, especially with young kids, I haighly recomend you consider renting an ECV. My dad had a foot injury years ago when I was like 8 and the first few trips to WDW were very difficult becuase he would not get a wheelchair for himself. That soon changed becuase the kids weren't having any fun. Breaking and stoping all the time and never eating at the Beirgarten anymore (we're German) becuase it was too far to walk. He realizes that even though he doesn't like the wheelchair, it helps the family out alot.

One of his biggest gripes though is how wheelchairs get to skip most of the line. Several attarctions are now giving slips similar to fastpasses to come back to an attaraction. We also have a family of 5 and many rides will only allow the wheelchair and 3 other guests.

Upvote 0

rpgman

Original Poster
Originally posted by Bagheera
From my understanding, Guest Services will give you passes to accommodate your need, nothing more and nothing less. If you need a pass to avoid lines, they will note that you cannot stand on lines on the special accommodations pass. This does not mean that you automatically go to the head of the line. In many cases, they will do the same as for folks in wheelchairs when they can't be mainstreamed in the regular queue. You get a return pass with a time approximately the same as the Fastpass return (for Fastpass attractions), and you can go straight on at that time. With my father-in-law, who did ride in an ECV, we got that treatment at several attractions. Go to Guest Services at hte park entrance and ask what sort of accommodations are available.

As far as some of the comments by others on this thread, wheelchairs are NOT required for special accommodations. There are many maladies that do not require wheelchairs or any other visible form of aid. For example, for those with children with ADHD, passes to avoid lines are also available. Please do not assume that all handicaps (or restrictions) are visible. Disney recognizes that fact, and will make reasonable accommodation for anyone that needs it. Also, bear in mind that wheelchairs are mainstreamed into the regular queue in more and more attractions.

That said, I'd recommend to rpgman that he rent a wheelchair or ECV due to the tremendous amounts of walking involved in any of the four parks. Further, I'd recommend making use of Fastpass, as well. When with relatives who are using wheelchairs or ECVs, we use Fastpass when available, and only use the special accommodations for wheelchair guests when Fastpass is not available.

thank you Bagheera....

my 5 year old is severe ADHD.....and, the special accommodation passes would also benefit him as well....

so, what your saying is, if I find a ride that is a long wait, I show the special accommodation pass to the CM, and he/her gives me something like a Fastpass, to come back at a set time.....this is only when Fastpass isn't available at that ride, correct?

I kinda thought there were special accommodation passes in my case for my RA and my sons ADHD...just makes sense.

rpgman

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom