Disability pass

ELG13

Original Poster
Wasn't sure where to post so feel free to move!!
Our son is autistic and generally we rely on the fast passes to get through the lines and get on some rides before he's overwhelmed. I know things are much different right now and I'm definitely not trying to take advantage of anything in any way but I'm just wondering if the disability pass is something that would be available for him and if so how would it even work? I don't think we would need it for every ride but maybe for longer waits and it would be more to avoid any larger groups for an extended period just because, like I said, he gets overwhelmed. Without fast pass I don't anticipate there being any huge issues for us but it was a suggestion another fellow autism mom suggested.

NelleBelle

I think you can still get a DAS for him and utilize it when needed (e.g. long line for ride he want to do). They've been using the FP lane for this. If he needs it, use it. That's what it's there for.

Goofnut1980

From what we have seen with friends that have gone. They basically give you a fastpass at the ride entrance of the attraction and its a return time with what is posted for the return time. Then you come back. You can only have one at a time.

Giss Neric

I know things are much different right now and I'm definitely not trying to take advantage of anything in any way
I appreciate that you are aware of that. Some people abuse the DAS pass to the fullest. Some discreetly and some blatantly. Castmembers just don't wanna be confrontational and let it pass.

ELG13

Original Poster
I appreciate that you are aware of that. Some people abuse the DAS pass to the fullest. Some discreetly and some blatantly. Castmembers just don't wanna be confrontational and let it pass.
Oh very much so. And with something like Autism he doesn't look disabled but that's the tricky thing with some cognitive disabilities and probably why I'm apprehensive about it. I checked into it and I offered a doctor's note which they said isn't necessary and I understand HIPPA but I wish it were necessary lol. It would make me feel better!!
The cast member I spoke with however, only referred me to a little blurb about it on the website or encouraged me to call, which I will attempt but with a 6 month old it's hard to sit on hold for a while. So maybe one of y'all could help. If my son has the pass would all of us be able to ride with him or would it have to be my husband or myself and then we do rider swap? There are 4 of us (myself, husband, 9 yo, and 6yo with autism). Another friend of mine tried explaining it to me and made it sound like it would only be useful if myself or my husband got it...and while I do have a few things I have and could qualify for a pass TECHNICALLY, I'm really not interested in getting it for my anxiety or my herniated disk since I function every day with it already. That feels like a little bit of taking advantage of the pass, which I'm not going to do.

RememberWhen

Oh very much so. And with something like Autism he doesn't look disabled but that's the tricky thing with some cognitive disabilities and probably why I'm apprehensive about it. I checked into it and I offered a doctor's note which they said isn't necessary and I understand HIPPA but I wish it were necessary lol. It would make me feel better!!
The cast member I spoke with however, only referred me to a little blurb about it on the website or encouraged me to call, which I will attempt but with a 6 month old it's hard to sit on hold for a while. So maybe one of y'all could help. If my son has the pass would all of us be able to ride with him or would it have to be my husband or myself and then we do rider swap? There are 4 of us (myself, husband, 9 yo, and 6yo with autism). Another friend of mine tried explaining it to me and made it sound like it would only be useful if myself or my husband got it...and while I do have a few things I have and could qualify for a pass TECHNICALLY, I'm really not interested in getting it for my anxiety or my herniated disk since I function every day with it already. That feels like a little bit of taking advantage of the pass, which I'm not going to do.
I don’t have personal experience, but I think you can have 6 people on the DAS, so you should be fine. Your kiddo needs to be present to get the pass, but I think any of you would be able to go and get a return time. The CM should scan your band and you should be able to see it in MDE. You should absolutely feel fine getting one and using one. I hope you all have a great trip!

correcaminos

This hit me wrong because the CMs deciding to give them the first time were absolutely picky on the pass. They turn people away a lot. I've seen it and been through the process myself. They don't just give it to everyone. Once you have it, one cannot abuse it either.

You can get it for your child and the whole family can use if your child rides. If your child with the DAS does not ride (they scan first upon return), no one will be able to go in. This is not treated like rider swap. You can get the return time yourself, but they have to be present upon scanning in to ride. Always scan the DAS holder first.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
...the CMs deciding to give them the first time were absolutely picky on the pass. They turn people away a lot. I've seen it and been through the process myself. They don't just give it to everyone.
Expecting a CM to make a judgement call on whether or not someone actually has a disorder that makes standing in line difficult or impossible seems kind of risky in today's climate where everyone has a lawyer on speed dial.

correcaminos

Expecting a CM to make a judgement call on whether or not someone actually has a disorder that makes standing in line difficult or impossible seems kind of risky in today's climate where everyone has a lawyer on speed dial.
But that's what they do and have been. Not sure why a lawyer calling would help if it is against policy either. The DAS system has been upheld in courts by entitled people trying to get more too. So a threat won't get you a DAS faster than explaining issues. They absolutely do deny and I can say the first time the not so good English speaker (international CM at Epcot) got their manager to verify though I did have communication in writing from Disability Services prior. They don't hand it out like candy which we should be grateful for.

nickys

Premium Member
You can get it for your child and the whole family can use if your child rides. If your child with the DAS does not ride (they scan first upon return), no one will be able to go in. This is not treated like rider swap. You can get the return time yourself, but they have to be present upon scanning in to ride. Always scan the DAS holder first.
Just to add to this. You will need to go to Guest Services with your son and either everyone else in your party or a magic band for everyone. If he qualifies the DAS will be added to the magic bands of everyone in your party. I think the usual group size limit is 6 but if you are travelling with a larger group on the same reservation they allow that.

The DAS holder must ride though, as @helenabear said.

Jon81uk

But that's what they do and have been. Not sure why a lawyer calling would help if it is against policy either. The DAS system has been upheld in courts by entitled people trying to get more too. So a threat won't get you a DAS faster than explaining issues. They absolutely do deny and I can say the first time the not so good English speaker (international CM at Epcot) got their manager to verify though I did have communication in writing from Disability Services prior. They don't hand it out like candy which we should be grateful for.

The courts were to decide on people wanting more than the DAS offers. All DAS gives you is the ability to wait the current wait time outside of the line. Most people that get refused one are because they can't physically stand in line, therefore need a wheelchair or scooter instead as they can queue up, but not stand. Whereas those with autism can generally physically stand, but can't cope with being in line.

ELG13

Original Poster
Just to add to this. You will need to go to Guest Services with your son and either everyone else in your party or a magic band for everyone. If he qualifies the DAS will be added to the magic bands of everyone in your party. I think the usual group size limit is 6 but if you are travelling with a larger group on the same reservation they allow that.

The DAS holder must ride though, as @helenabear said.
Ok that works for us! Thank you! We have to check in there anyways to activate your annual passes so we will do it while we are there.

ELG13

Original Poster
The courts were to decide on people wanting more than the DAS offers. All DAS gives you is the ability to wait the current wait time outside of the line. Most people that get refused one are because they can't physically stand in line, therefore need a wheelchair or scooter instead as they can queue up, but not stand. Whereas those with autism can generally physically stand, but can't cope with being in line.
Yes that's our issue. Generally we use our fast passes for this issue and then fill time with short waits at little mermaid, small world etc. I don't anticipate needing it for anything more than we would use our normal fast passes for, pirates, peter pan, and buzz. I don't mind waiting outside the lines but standing in the line, especially in the lines when the sounds get a little echoey, it can get a little hairy and with social distancing, trying to get out of line pay prove to be difficult lol.

ELG13

Original Poster
Would you recommend bringing a doctor's note even though it states we don't need one??

awesomeinabox

This hit me wrong because the CMs deciding to give them the first time were absolutely picky on the pass. They turn people away a lot. I've seen it and been through the process myself. They don't just give it to everyone. Once you have it, one cannot abuse it either.
This. I am blind in the dark. Not "hard to see" but straight blind. I use a cane and can't function well with entering and exiting buildings from light to dark (I take awhile and can't see the new line spacing so it's especially awful with covid). I also can't be behind plexiglass because I can't focus. I've had some awesome CMs understand, but also one in particular at MK who told me that being blind wasn't something DAS would help with and I could just deal with my disability even if it was as risk to myself and others. Be patient. Ask for a supervisor if someone questions.

correcaminos

The lawsuit was more than just wanting more, they were fighting to revert back. Courts found the policy sound and fair. Boo hoo to the one who tried to abuse it. There is a bit more than just what you said behind it. There are physical disabilities that require movement often to prevent nerve or circulation issues or easy access to facilities. Those who cannot tolerate conditions due to Autoimmune issues etc. But if your issue is solved by a chair, then you are not eligible.

SaltyD

You would all be able to ride together, just make sure Guest Services puts you all on. And there are currently no fast passes so even if in the past you were able to figure out wait times, at the moment you won't have fast passes to plan your day. You have the situation that the DAS pass was made for so make your days easier there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom