Dinosaur to operate at reduced capacity for a couple of months due to refurbishment

plutoismyhero

I was there in may and they were using the alternate "head only" carnataurus. This ride is in a tie for my favorite ride at the world and i am always disappointed that something is not working!!!!

GymLeaderPhil

I also wondered why they were only utilizing one side to load and unload. The entire right hand side of the stairs leading down to load were roped off and the area right after briefing had some make-shift partitions to help ease the merging of preshow areas. Maybe structural issues with the stairs?

I wish they would have thought their queue out better. It suffers from the same issues as Test Track's preshow. I would kill for them to rip out the fountains and underwhelming exterior trails to expand the queue indoors since were on this refurbishment kick with such things right now.

DDPGambit

They should rename it back to "Countdown to Extinction". I think that tying it into that horrible Dinosaur movie was a big mistake...ever since then this ride just has not been as popular.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What effect are broken? I didn't think much was missing last month, but maybe there are things I have never seen.

There are a number of issues with the various AAs in the ride. I don't know all of the dinosaur names/types, so I can't be more specific than that.....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
What effect are broken? I didn't think much was missing last month, but maybe there are things I have never seen.

Most of them go way back to not long after opening. The overhead swooping teradactyl stopped working and was never fixed, the overhead compsognathus that use to run across overhead also stopped and is now just fixed in position. The final meteor smoke ring is gone, as are the lasers marking the entry/exit time tunnel. So compared to it's opening year, quite a few things have stopped working.

AndyMagic

Most of them go way back to not long after opening. The overhead swooping teradactyl stopped working and was never fixed, the overhead compsognathus that use to run across overhead also stopped and is now just fixed in position. The final meteor smoke ring is gone, as are the lasers marking the entry/exit time tunnel. So compared to it's opening year, quite a few things have stopped working.

Also the motion-base was toned down quite a bit when it was switched over to Dinosaur so the height restriction could be dropped to 40''

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Also the motion-base was toned down quite a bit when it was switched over to Dinosaur so the height restriction could be dropped to 40''

It was indeed, but I don't count that as an effect problem. It was done to increase accessibility.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

These are the basic reasons why I have little interest in riding Dinosaur any more. For me, it's just a herky-jerky ride with a lot of noise and very little in the way of effects. I passed on it my last trip......

SOLISIMO

I knew it! I couldve sworn the teradactyl moved but just never said anything. It seemed weird that such an advanced ride would have a stationary effect like that....

AndyMagic

These are the basic reasons why I have little interest in riding Dinosaur any more. For me, it's just a herky-jerky ride with a lot of noise and very little in the way of effects. I passed on it my last trip......

Despite all the broken effects, Dinosaur remains my favorite attraction at Disney World built in the last decade or so. It has a nice pace and level of intensity that is unmatched at the parks. They don't really make attractions like this anymore because they are worried about scaring the little ones. Alien Encounter was a similar type of visceral experience until Stitch threw up all over it and ruined it. :(

WDW-Tex

This always happens, I get back from a visit and I read about how people enjoy this ride and its their favorite and I feel like I missed something. :shrug: Does it have to be soooo loud? :eek: I have ridden this ride 2x Aug'04 and July'10 and all I can think is... maybe it would be enjoyable if I wore some sort of sound dampening device.

Looking back though seems like a ride that never could get old, so much going on that one could ride several times and still not see it all. I just need to get past the decibels. *goes out and buys some Bose headphones*
:)

SOLISIMO

This always happens, I get back from a visit and I read about how people enjoy this ride and its their favorite and I feel like I missed something. :shrug: Does it have to be soooo loud? :eek: I have ridden this ride 2x Aug'04 and July'10 and all I can think is... maybe it would be enjoyable if I wore some sort of sound dampening device.

Looking back though seems like a ride that never could get old, so much going on that one could ride several times and still not see it all. I just need to get past the decibels. *goes out and buys some Bose headphones*

I love how its sooo loud, it makes the effect for me

Evil Genius

Yeah...it's definately not an attraction for those with sensative hearing! But I love how loud it is. It really adds to the intensity and sense of urgency the overarching story carries along.

I know many of the better effects are non-functioning, but it's still a favorite of mine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom