Dinosaur rehab?

Coasterbp

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
Ahhhhh.... but just remember... Eisner is one cheap @#!@$. So a job that would require 10 people to do, he'll skate by with 5 people just to fatten his grubby pockets. Call me crazy, but back in the days when Disney worried more about their guests than their pocketbook, I don't believe rehab took nearly as long. But then again things weren't neglected like they are now either. :hammer: :brick:

Do you really think Eisner has any knowledge of how many people are going to be working on a rehab? I don't think he does. I don't even think he knows when an attraction is down for rehab. Nor do I think that he cares.

Sure, back "in the day" rehabs probably didn't take too long. And comparatively speaking, the attractions of yesteryear weren't NEARLY as complicated as the attractions of today. Something you did NOT consider...

Yen_Sid1

Originally posted by Coasterbp
Do you really think Eisner has any knowledge of how many people are going to be working on a rehab? I don't think he does. I don't even think he knows when an attraction is down for rehab. Nor do I think that he cares.

Sure, back "in the day" rehabs probably didn't take too long. And comparatively speaking, the attractions of yesteryear weren't NEARLY as complicated as the attractions of today. Something you did NOT consider...

I think Eisner knows when an attraction is down for a extended period like a rehab. He wants to know all that stuff. He is a very good micro-manager.

Disney2002

Originally posted by Yen_Sid1
I think Eisner knows when an attraction is down for a extended period like a rehab. He wants to know all that stuff. He is a very good micro-manager.

No CEO ever is concerned in the tiny day to day deals. A CEO of a company with such diversified holdings as Disney has much larger things to worry about. There are numerous sub-management people who take care of those things.

I wish people would take the time to learn how corporate structure works. The vilification of Eisner has gotten out of control. Roy Disney's campaign is 95% bitterness for not being at the helm; there is no denying that. He knows he can rally public support by spinning it.

Moreover, if there was not a going concern regarding cost cutting, the parks would have to charge much more for a daily ticket. There would be fewer returns for stockholders, thereby causing other financial issues. Granted, Eisner has a large salary, but it's actually not out of line for a company the size of Disney. Moreover, it's most in stock options, as these things usually are. Therefore, there has a continued interest, even if only financially, for the the continued success of the company. Stock options can NEVER be traded in right away. They usually must be held for a number of years... a sort of protection for this very reason.

If you want to find the person who knows when and how long your favorite rides are down, look for the COO (Chief Operating Officer)... or the head of the theme parks.

imagineer99

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
Call me crazy, but back in the days when Disney worried more about their guests than their pocketbook, I don't believe rehab took nearly as long. But then again things weren't neglected like they are now either. :hammer: :brick:

They also weren't building any new rides either....:lookaroun

ToTBellHop

this isn't really that long of a rehab...6 weeks. Would you rather the rides were dangerous? Rehabs for rides is nothing new, and a 6 week rehab is in no way abnormal. If it takes 3 years to build a new ride, 6 weeks to fix all the broken stuff is hardly out of line.

Disney2002

Originally posted by marni1971
Do we think they will finally fix the swooping animatronic bird? (I dont know its actual dinoname)

When did it break? Maybe I've never seen it working. When I've ridden Dinosaur a light just came on the bird and you drove under it. Does it actually move? Is it another always broken piece like the Test Track mock crash or Splash Mountains hopping rabbit?

Yen_Sid1

Originally posted by marni1971
Do we think they will finally fix the swooping animatronic bird? (I dont know its actual dinoname)

The name is the Mother Cearadactylus. It's not in the plans to be repaired. In fact, there is nothing in the plans for anything to be repaired. But there will be adequate time to make repairs if they have the people and parts available.

The main reason for the rehab is for Safety Enchancements. They will adding a lot of new things to help with safety, but not much the actual guest will notice in the ride or show.

AndyMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by Yen_Sid1
The name is the Mother Cearadactylus. It's not in the plans to be repaired. In fact, there is nothing in the plans for anything to be repaired. But there will be adequate time to make repairs if they have the people and parts available.

The main reason for the rehab is for Safety Enchancements. They will adding a lot of new things to help with safety, but not much the actual guest will notice in the ride or show.

Ugh, it just keeps getting worse and worse. Now we have a 6 week rehab with nothing productive being done to it. Instead they are going to further idiot-proof the ride.

CTXRover

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Ugh, it just keeps getting worse and worse. Now we have a 6 week rehab with nothing productive being done to it. Instead they are going to further idiot-proof the ride.

Safety improvements are probably some of the most productive things they can do during a rehab and perhaps one of the best reasons to do so. What would take 6 weeks to install that would help for safety...I have no idea. (Perhaps a new control system may be installed and it will take time to install it, and run it through the mandatory tests, etc. before allowing guests on it)

I don't know what takes so long during rehabs...but let's not forget, that the rehabs that can safely be done during the night and still keep the attraction open during the day still happens ...including one right now. Take TOT 4 for instance, most of the changes from the ride profile to the new seats with seatbelts to the added effects in the drop shaft were all done while still keeping the attraction open. Another is Splash Mountain that is going through a rehab right now including painting the entire mountain...which is being done while keeping the ride open, even though it has to open late to allow the paint to finish drying and some of the days the water wasn't running down the waterfalls because of the painting. So obviously, when they can and are able to, they can do extensive rehabs while keeping the attraction open.

Some other rehabs..like Test Track's track resurfacing (and hopeful fix of the crash car) is being done in a week. And in all honesty, that is my guess for a reasonable time frame for such a rehab. So from those above examples, I imagine that if the Dinosaur rehab is going to take 6 weeks...its because it needs to be. Whether it comes back with extensive changes that will be very noticeable to us isn't necessary. In all honesty though, I don't think any of us know for sure what will be done during the rehab...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The bird apparently swooped down at the rover as you passed. I`ve never seen it work but there is a night vision video of the ride on the web and you can see the rails it hangs on.

Disfan44

I could be wrong but

I remember taking my son to DL many times in the past and always knowing about refurbishments at least 4-6 months in advance. If it is a safety issue then I would think they would repair it immediately to avoid any potential accidents. If it is cosmetic I don't see why it could not be scheduled at least 6 months in advance. Had I known that Dinosaur would be closed in May I probably would have planned a trip for another time of the year. :(

Oh well... there's still ToT and RnRC.

Aloha.

Disney2002

I'm glad to hear how many people really seem to love this ride. I think so many people really criticize it. Personally, I really found it to be dull when I first tried it, when AK was brand new. My father and I remarked how dull the entire experience was.

I don't know what changed, but last year we both said -- wow, that was actually sort of cool. Ever since, it's been one of my favorite attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom