Dinosaur Audio Effects Changes

Flight Safety

Original Poster
I tried to post this yesterday via mobile but was having issues. Yesterday I took some family on Countdown... ahem, Dinosaur for their first time and was totally disappointed that the environmental audio effects were completely off (Meteors, Dinos, etc.). The only thing audible was the audio coming from the on board speakers (Seeker, computer, vehicle sounds.).

I noticed something was way off as soon as the ride started and I didn't hear anything whilst "going back in time", especially the very loud crash at the end. Then as the ride continued, there was absolutely no sound other than the onboard audio. It was so disappointing and ruined the experience for my family who had never been before. I also noticed that it seemed significantly brighter during the ride, and thought to myself "here we go again".

After we exited the vehicle, I immediately approached a cast member about the situation and asked if they were experiencing technical difficulties. She was unaware of the fact that half the ride wasn't working and contacted the control tower to inquire. After speaking with the tower she informed me that there was a ride stop (which requires rebooting the entire ride computer system) earlier in the morning, and that someone must have forgotten to un-mute the volume.

She thanked me for pointing it out, and gave us a second ride with the problem corrected. However, when going "back in time" for the second time I didn't hear much and thought they must not have fixed, or un-muted the audio. Then just at the last second I heard a very faint resemblance of the crash sound. From there, as the ride continued I begun to hear the sound effects, but I noticed that in many places they seemed much, much quieter than normal. This was disappointing to say the least, but at least my family got to hear the roaring of the dinos and not the sound of the mechanical beasts mechanics.

After exiting the ride for the second time, I noticed the cast member who I spoke with before speaking with a management type off to the side. I approached her and told her that the audio was back on, but that in most places it was super quiet compared to normal. The manager explained to me that they had made some changes to the audio levels throughout the ride. I told him how disappointing this was and asked if this was due to complaints. He informed me that the changes were being made due to a number of complaints, and that the noise level in the building was too high for OSHA regulations and they made the adjustments to make the environment more comfortable for cast members and guests alike. I again told him how CTX is my favorite attraction and how under rated it is and that I was very disappointed to hear this news.

I didn't think to ask about the lighting levels because my family was yelling at me to come look at the silly face I made at the Carno, but I have no doubt that this is also related. I haven't been to AK since December and didn't notice any differences in the ride then, and it seemed like the way this manager was speaking, it was a change that was just made. I did ask if this was a permanent change and he informed me that it most likely would be, but for now its indefinite.

Does anyone else out there love this ride as much as me, and hate that they keep dulling things down everywhere? CTX inst the only place this kind of "taming" happens, but come on! Why? The crap about OSHA is probably just that. Crap. I doubt very seriously the ride has been operating since opening just fine, and then all of the sudden 14 years later its time to meet OSHA regulations. Why make such an awesome ride if you're just going to dumb it down and make it boring. If too many guests are complaining, make a bigger warning sign.

It was kinda funny that the entire day, everyone who rode the attraction did so without the audio effects and still enjoyed it. If you didn't know they were supposed to be there, I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Im not usually one to complain about anything, especially anything related to WDW, but I can't believe they didn't even know there was a problem until I mentioned it, and I absolutely hate this change! :cry:

TylerFG

That's just awful. One of my favorite rides in AK, and it's already being reduced to something that's ridiculous cmpared to what it used to be...

Scuttle

Highly disappointing. Dinosaur is definitely the case of a ride that has slowly gotten worse over its existence.

It's sad. Between Dinosaur, Splash and Everest it's just plain sad that TDO doesn't care about show quality anymore. Show quality and cleanliness of the parks is what separates Disney from other theme parks. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Why even build these intricately themed rides when TDO is going to just let them deteriorate!?

ChristianG

Show quality is what I loved about Disney, but these past few years we've all been very disappointed. And what sucks even more is that all of these guests oblivious to whats surrounding them, you know, the "Well everything at Disney is just perfect!" kind of guests, they 'inspire' TDO to care even less.

Very bad news. Dinosaur wasn't meant to be a tame ride. If people are complaining about how loud it is, don't go on it again. Simple as that.

Flight Safety

Original Poster
Guess I'm just going to have to stick with Forbidden Journey.

I've never been on it, but imagine its pretty awesome. Especially considering its literally bolt for bolt, the same ride as CTX.

EDIT: Before everyone out there starts bashing me, I thought the OP was referring to TFE @ DL (Because of its similarity to CTX). I'm not sure why Harry Potter got mixed up into this because it has nothing to do with this thread. I misread "FJ" for "FE"

Prototype82

I've never been on it, but imagine its pretty awesome. Especially considering its literally bolt for bolt, the same ride as CTX.
I just threw FJ out there because it's an intense action ride with incredible audio. It's like Soarin', CTX, and Haunted Mansion made a baby together. Nothing comes close.

Flight Safety

Original Poster
sorry, but thats not true

Before everyone out there starts bashing me, I thought the OP was referring to TFE @ DL (Because of its similarity to CTX). I'm not sure why Harry Potter got mixed up into this because it has nothing to do with this thread. I misread "FJ" for "FE" :shrug:

I just threw FJ out there because it's an intense action ride with incredible audio. It's like Soarin', CTX, and Haunted Mansion made a baby together. Nothing comes close.

HP may have all that But CTX was built in 1998. It was way more intense and certainly more scary. Especially for its time. I haven't been on HP either but can't imagine it being anything like Dinosaur.

P.S. I don't really care about Harry Potter, or Universal. Im on Walt Disney World Magic to post about a Walt Disney World Attraction, so lets not turn this into the usual WDW vs. Uni thread. Thank you.
:D

Prototype82

I'm not sure why Harry Potter got mixed up into this because it has nothing to do with this thread.
I'll admit it. I have a habit of throwing the Forbidden Journey into any thread that complains about something done wrong at Disney for the sole reason that when something breaks on Potter, it's fixed shortly. I've seen it. It's the perfect example of the dark ride done right. They can't afford to have poor maintenance on it. I'll definitely comment to a CTX cast member next time I go. At least they'd be getting some feedback. I'm just surprised that the cast members would be exposed to all of that sound in the first place.

Flight Safety

Original Poster
I'm just surprised that the cast members would be exposed to all of that sound in the first place.

Thats another good point. Its not like they're standing in the loud areas all day long. I don't know about other areas of the attraction, but you can't even hear anything from inside the ride while waiting in line at the loading dock.

ctxak98

:shrug:...WELL CTX is my favorite ride and always has been. I have always noticed how every year this wayyyy underrated ride gets less intense. The sound level has gone down not giving the element of scary in the ride and the light level has gone up wich is crap because now you can see more. I am very dissapointed it is not a permanent change. I am all for just changing the ride completely! might as well make the dinos talk!:lookaroun. I mean seriously this is by far one of disneys best rides. Its so different from anything else. Its basically one of disneys only scary rides.
Now I have been on HP and I think they did a fairly good job on it but it wasnt liike ctx at all. You need more then just one animatronic to compare. CTX was made wayyy back even before 1998 because it opened by tat time and its still some of the most advanced audio animatronics to date. The HP ride is similar in that fact that its dark and if you turn the lights on it doesnt look like much....theres a video on youtube. BUT if they went the extra mile to actually make the spiders move more and make the other AA's a little more real, I would say harry potter would be the best ride ever....but for me it doesnt make that cut. Anyways.....dissapointed with disney on this one. A shame my favorite ride isnt doing well

the-reason14

I notice it was particularly bright in some areas too when I was last on it. Bright in areas it shouldn't be because you can see the walls and unthemed areas. It wasn't even "perfect" back when I first rode in 2002, but it's definitely not as nice as it was back then. Oh well, what can you do other then complain on a message board.

maxairmike

The sound issue doesn't bother me much, in fact, I'm glad they finally turned it down, even if it took an OSHA mandate to do so. As someone who dabbles in sound design, it crossed the line between good loud and bad loud in a major way, and my ears were ringing every time I rode it. It didn't need to be toned down a lot, but it did need some downward adjustment. It doesn't need to be super loud to be scary, and if it does, then they didn't do something right with creating the suspense/moment. Now, if you can barely hear it, obviously that's an issue. But otherwise...it's about time.

Lighting on the other hand...as much as I hate the reliance on day-glo painted glow-in-the-dark props, is a valid complaint. One single work light in a scene would likely kill the scene pretty well. Unfortunately, you won't see that fixed unless they have an unrelated downtime or until the next day anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom