Dinosaur Audio Effects Changes

wilkeliza

Without the scary sound effects, this ride is basically Snow Whites Scary Adventure. Boo.

Sarcasm doesn't come across that well on line but I hope that is what this is.

Dinosaurs is still a good ride with the lower volume but it isn't as terrifying as it has been. I am on the same side of the argument that a happy medium could have been found and used instead of a drastic sound decrease.

TalkingHead

Sarcasm doesn't come across that well on line but I hope that is what this is.

Dinosaurs is still a good ride with the lower volume but it isn't as terrifying as it has been. I am on the same side of the argument that a happy medium could have been found and used instead of a drastic sound decrease.

Adding some more scenery would be nice, too. Audio aside, it never has come close to equalling DL's Indiana Jones in that respect.

ID3052

I have to say, I have sensitive hearing. I have a very hard time standing the volume of movies at the theatre.

However, I always bring along a pair of earplugs to Disney. I wear them for fireworks, Mikeys Phillharmagic, even Soarin'! I wear them through Dinosaurs and, while it's still loud, it's tolerable and still extremely fun!

I don't see why more people don't just wear earplugs if the sounds are too loud for them...

Steve

phi2134

Is it just a coincidence that the name of this ride is countdown to extinction??? Only a matter of time before the rid is fully extinct!

Flight Safety

Original Poster
At the end of the day, it's all about what they think is a good work environment. I can completely see them saying, "you know if worker were walking around in this attraction, there is no way they can communicate with each other. Or worse, they could not hear a car coming and get run over by the ride vehicle." Or "the music is too loud and can cause you to go deaf." They would. OHSA does some good things; i'll give them that. But they also try to make it seem like, they protect employees and make this overly dramatic all the time.

You're probably right, but this is also complete BS! This OSHA crap is a JOKE! The attraction was the way it was for a reason, and if cast members were being subject to unsafe or "uncomfortable" work environments, the should find another job. Even if there are certain conditions that apply, you accept these conditions as part of your job.

OSHA should only influence legitimate safe operating procedures, etc., not influence the complete changing of a near 100 million dollar attraction because they feel employees are subject to "unsafe conditions". There are inherent risks with any job at a theme park, and it is WDW's responsibility to make these risks known, as well as provide applicable standardized operating procedures to avoid any damages, and Im sure WDW hasn't failed to do so. I don't consider working inside the Dinosaur building to be a high risk occupation by any means, as there are a lot more dangerous occupations one could have. Furthermore, audio volume is a complete waste of something to be concerned about.

My whole gripe here isn't just that its not as loud, and not as dark, its simply the fact that this is just another slap across the face to the imagineers who designed this attraction. As well as another notch on the list of items that are no longer operating, bringing not only the overall experience down, but also adding to the demise of one of the best theme park attractions ever built.

As an audio geek, one of my favorite things about Dinosaur is how good and impressively loud the audio is for it. With good reason - with the budget cut back for visual effects and sets, they had to increase the intensity in some way and they accomplished that with the audio.

Thrill rides should be loud. Universal's thrill rides are loud. Many Disney rides (both thrill and non-thrill) lately have horrible audio that is too quiet to hear. I don't believe that OSHA story one bit as the employees are not literally working next to the loud dinosaur animatronics. If you think I'm just spitting out TDO-hate hyperbole, open your ears next time you are at the parks and PAY ATTENTION.

Oh, I'd also like to mention that the ride operating for a good portion of the day without a CM or leader noticing that the audio wasn't even switched on is unnacceptable behavior and pure laziness from the cast.

Yes, yes, and but of course yes! I too am an audio geek. As a matter of fact, I design and sell high end audio / dedicated theater systems for commercial and residential applications. I have been involved in the business my entire life, so I know what Im talking about. To any previous posters who spoke of being around audio equipment / etc. you obviously haven't been involved in it much, especially not in a commercial or professional application. One of my favorite things about Disney is that they never cheap out on audio equipment, or audio sample quality. In any attraction, the sample quality is very, very high and the sound is quite enjoyable. In response to the one speaking of "over driving" outdoor speakers, I have sold professional outdoor audio systems for 15 years, and know exactly what WDW has inside the parks. They do not over drive them. They are used 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and simply wear out very quickly when used this often. Granted, WDW should replace them when a driver is blown, but they're not "over driven".

Is it just a coincidence that the name of this ride is countdown to extinction??? Only a matter of time before the rid is fully extinct!

I sure hope not, but one can't help but think this.

DisneyWales

The first time I went on Dinosaur (2002) I came of throughly distraught and almost in tears. But my god did I love it.

Being scared is a valid form of entertainment, heck, theres an entire film industry that caters to scaring people.

I miss the Walt Disney World that had a place for attractions like CTX and Extra Terror Encounter.... as much as i wanna grin from ear to ear, I would also like to occasionally feel like a need to change my underwear too.

Its all entertainment and WDW is starting to lack that kind of diversity.

:brick:MORE PRINCESSES AND CHARACTERS PLZ:brick:, thats what I pay a small fortune to come see.

DisneyFan 2000

I don't usually jump on the nay-saying bandwagon but seriously, Dinosaur with a toned down audio experience is more or less riding through a dark warehouse. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea but taking away it's prime feature is doing a disservice to everyone who rides it, not just those who are fans of the big and loud. It's like taking the fast out of a mega coaster, all the intensity is just lost. I hope this report is a temporary one otherwise I'll be very disappointed during my next trip.

TrojanUSC

I used to work at CTX (had just been changed to Dinosaur, but our costumes still said CTX) back in the day. They had a lot of issues with people getting sick and a couple more serious health issues from the attraction, which led to them toning it down a bit from what it once was. They can put up tons of signs, but people will ignore them. At Disney, they expect to be kept safe and that no ride will be too intense.

They had the luxury with Mission: Space to make some of the attraction a less intense experience, but they don't have that luxury with Dinosaur. For the record, they did the same thing with Indiana Jones at DLR.

None of this goes to excuse the whole show problem that the OP mentioned. Worklights and audio problems are inexcusable. Though their original explanation about the ride stop is probably true. One of the first things you do when there's a ride stop or e-stop is to mute the ride audio and play the breakdown spiel. Part of the "restart" process involves unmuting the audio but a new or inattentive cast member can easily forget this, as it's not part of getting the ride up and running again. It's the very last step in the process, after the ride is back online.

mp2bill

I always thought the volume was too high, but I never thought they'd turn it down so low as to make it an unenjoyable ride.

Also, I'm surprised that there are OSHA regulations on something like this.

Tom Morrow

I used to work at CTX (had just been changed to Dinosaur, but our costumes still said CTX) back in the day. They had a lot of issues with people getting sick and a couple more serious health issues from the attraction, which led to them toning it down a bit from what it once was. They can put up tons of signs, but people will ignore them. At Disney, they expect to be kept safe and that no ride will be too intense.
Its really frustrating and a shame, too. Even back when it opened, CTX/Dinosaur, with everything working at full force, was not even close to the intensity of what you get at Cedar Point or something. Just because its at Disney, doesn't mean they should just give in to the complainers who can't be bothered to read signs and descriptions and ruin all their rides because WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

ctxak98

Hello I was searching youtube for countdown to extinction stuff and found this old video of when it first opened with Drew carey and it has some interesting things about it. The dinosaurs seemed to move a lot more and ALSO the long necked dino seems to be on the opposite side of the track then it is now? any info on that would be awesome!
heres the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2VzetEM04:)

TrojanUSC

Hello I was searching youtube for countdown to extinction stuff and found this old video of when it first opened with Drew carey and it has some interesting things about it. The dinosaurs seemed to move a lot more and ALSO the long necked dino seems to be on the opposite side of the track then it is now? any info on that would be awesome!
heres the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2VzetEM04:)

You can't really watch any professionally shot videos for an idea of how a ride actually is/was. Disney edits the heck out of these types of videos, playing with the lighting, speed of the film and a number of other elements to make a ride seem much different than it actually is. The dinosaurs in this, for example, are sped up to make them appear much more animated.

Tom Morrow

I rode Dinosaur today, specifically to listen for the supposed audio changes. There was a noticeable difference for a few effects, most notably the entrance and exit time tunnels (especially the shattering glass sound). The Carno was perhaps a little quieter. HOWEVER... I am a tough audio critic and I didn't feel that it was enough of a change to bring down the ride quality.

Still, the ride could use a refurbishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom