Dining with Diabetes

Boobear13

Original Poster
My 8 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. We have booked our dining reservations and informed Disney of the situation.
However I am struggling to find any information on the carb count of meals and apart from taking scales and a carb count book I am struggling to come up with any other solution. Any ideas?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Have you looked at any menus online? This site and allears.net have menus and you could look at what she might want to eat and have a little bit of a game plan and idea about carb counts before you go.

I am diabetic as well and all the walking and the heat tend to make my blood sugars go low. So be aware of that and plan to test more than you normally do make sure you have a little candy with you in case of those drops (which I'm sure you carry anyway).

I know that the Disney chefs are very accommodating especially in table service restaurants. I know others have had good interactions with a variety of food issues, I personally have not requested special meals.

JTT

Officially from Disney, there is no carb info for meals at their restaurants. My son has been Type 1 for 8 years and we have been to Disney many times with him. Get a couple of good Nutrition Apps on your phone that gives you nutrition information for various foods and restaurants. Test a little more often, drinks lots of water and have fun!

Tony the Tigger

My spouse has been type 1 since age 10 (now age 45.) He is experienced enough that we don't usually need help, he'll just adjust his insulin accordingly.

Since you are still adapting to this, take advantage of the fact that the chef is likely very experienced with it, and will come to your table and not only make recommendations, but customize dishes or go completely off-menu for you.

Sugar-free products taste so much better today than they did 20 years ago. You can get SF Russell Stover chocolates, etc. Keep in mind "no sugar added" is not sugar-free, but Disney has desserts like that on most menus.

Having diabetes as a kid is different than getting it as an adult. I've noticed residual feelings in my spouse that compel me to suggest this to you: either always try to have a SF option for her in the home (from cake to ketchup) and/or adjust the diet of the entire household (which would only benefit your health as well.) Feeling different from everyone else can have a lasting effect.

Matt and Kelly

Way late to the party here and I'm not sure if your trip has come and gone yet but our oldest daughter (7 years old) is also a Type 1 and we've made a number of Disney trips since she was diagnosed 4 and half years ago. That first trip was a little nerve-wracking because the information is not readily available but as most have said, frequent testing and being prepared is most important.

Our first WDW trip with Ella after she was diagnosed was a little rocky as the heat made her not want to eat for much of the trip and really did a number on her sugar levels. A good supply of juice, skittles, dex tabs, etc. is never a bad thing.

We're a little more fortunate now that she's been on a pump the last few years which has made it much easier to control her levels and as of this past May she is now wearing a continuous glucose monitor which should come in very handy when we are down there.

Not sure if you'll be carrying a lot of insulin but the first aid stations around the parks will store them for you in the fridge while you are roaming around. Before the pump we would drop ours off there just to be safe so it wouldn't get too warm or accidentally break.

Boobear13

Original Poster
Way late to the party here and I'm not sure if your trip has come and gone yet but our oldest daughter (7 years old) is also a Type 1 and we've made a number of Disney trips since she was diagnosed 4 and half years ago. That first trip was a little nerve-wracking because the information is not readily available but as most have said, frequent testing and being prepared is most important.

Our first WDW trip with Ella after she was diagnosed was a little rocky as the heat made her not want to eat for much of the trip and really did a number on her sugar levels. A good supply of juice, skittles, dex tabs, etc. is never a bad thing.

We're a little more fortunate now that she's been on a pump the last few years which has made it much easier to control her levels and as of this past May she is now wearing a continuous glucose monitor which should come in very handy when we are down there.

Not sure if you'll be carrying a lot of insulin but the first aid stations around the parks will store them for you in the fridge while you are roaming around. Before the pump we would drop ours off there just to be safe so it wouldn't get too warm or accidentally break.
Thanks for the tip on leaving the insulin at the first aid stations, was not aware they would do this.
We go in 2 days so no, your information was bang on time !

nickys

Premium Member
Couple of things to add. I know a family who's youngest girl is now 8, and they've been going to Florida for about 5 years. She has an insulin pump.

Make sure you have a copy of your current prescription for things like the the sharps for the finger-pricker. Also for the insulin and so-on, just in case of questions at the airport security. They had to put the spare vials of insulin for her pump into the clear bags, and they ask for special screening rather than the machines.

Heat, and excitement, will play havoc with her blood sugar levels. Test often and remember you can get a cup of ice water at any QS place. You don't need to queue, just go to the collection point and ask. Have plenty of dextrose tablets or whatever you usually use. Although they don't publish carb counts, ask to speak to the chef and ask them.

Have fun!

Matt and Kelly

Couple of things to add. I know a family who's youngest girl is now 8, and they've been going to Florida for about 5 years. She has an insulin pump.

Make sure you have a copy of your current prescription for things like the the sharps for the finger-pricker. Also for the insulin and so-on, just in case of questions at the airport security. They had to put the spare vials of insulin for her pump into the clear bags, and they ask for special screening rather than the machines.

Heat, and excitement, will play havoc with her blood sugar levels. Test often and remember you can get a cup of ice water at any QS place. You don't need to queue, just go to the collection point and ask. Have plenty of dextrose tablets or whatever you usually use. Although they don't publish carb counts, ask to speak to the chef and ask them.

Have fun!

Good advice around prescriptions. We tend to carry a note from her doctor with an explanation as to what we have an why we have it. We've never had any hang up at all during screening in previous trips but at some point, I'm sure we will. Good to know what others are doing.

susan lees

Hi boobear. I feel your anxiety here. My daughter was diagnosed at 11 years and our first few holidays we really just had to guesstimate the carbs. This was not at Disney though.
Now daughter is 26 and always uses her carb app and usually manages really well. I think Disney chefs would probably be really helpful but my daughter would get embarrassed to ask.
Hope you have a great trip and remember Disney are really helpful and there are many medical stations too.

Weather_Lady

My mother was a Type 1 diabetic (in the days before Smartphones and apps that could estimate carbs). She ordered at Disney restaurants (or selected items from the buffet) the same way she would at restaurants at home, sticking to things that were prepared simply, and that she knew wouldn't be high in carbs -- meats (cheeseburger without the bun, grilled chicken, steak), cooked veggies and tossed salads (without croutons or tomatoes, etc.), or adjusting her insulin accordingly if she knew she'd had something a bit "carby" (part of a roll, or some ice cream). She tested her blood a little more frequently than at home, just to make sure there wasn't any unadvertised sugar in things. She even carried sugar test tape with her (I don't even know if they sell it anymore, but it was a little roll of paper tape that turned a different color in the presence of sugar -- it was originally meant for diabetics to test their urine in the days before portable blood testers), so she could test the soda she was served and make sure it was "really" diet. It was a bit appalling how often (not just at Disney, but everywhere) that she'd order diet soda and be given regular, which as you know, is a big deal when you're a diabetic!

I think if you stick with what you know is typically safe, you (or rather, your little one) will have no trouble. Do get a carb-counting app (and if necessary at TS restaurants, make an inquiry of the chef) if you aren't sure about something. Take it slow, monitor blood sugars frequently, and keep all necessary supplies with you at all times in case of a high or low sugar. The physical and emotional rollercoaster of a vacation (the excitement, the weather, the staying-up-late) can affect blood sugars all by itself -- even if the diet is perfect -- so you'll want to stay on top of it. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Last edited:

Our disney

My 8 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. We have booked our dining reservations and informed Disney of the situation.
However I am struggling to find any information on the carb count of meals and apart from taking scales and a carb count book I am struggling to come up with any other solution. Any ideas?
I know it’s a old post but I wanted to make sure the T1 community saw this.
40915E0F-1AD3-4E9C-9C6F-43C3B11F1C10.jpeg

tpoly88

im type 1 and its a struggle in disney it really is as there is so many breaded and fried foods. One thing that has helped me to no end is the Dexcom G6 CGM, no finger sticks and gives your blood sugars every 3 minutes and has smart logic in it to help. (this is not an advertiser!) check it out as it was a game changer for me. i love disney and this product helps me to enjoy the parks and not have to stop and worry if i have to check myself. i just look at my phone (it has bluetooth to sync) and also the app tells my wifes phone where im at so she can alert me too.

Victor Kelly

Just FYI under no circumstances allow the insulin pump to be scanned by anything. Always check TSA rules and know what they say you need to do when you arrive at the airport

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom