Dining Recommendations

blreinsel

Original Poster
I'm looking for reviews/recommendations for the best places to eat when we visit next year! We are open to restaurants at the parks and/or resorts. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so we'll likely stay away from breakfast reservations unless it's an absolute must do.

I love character meals, so I would love to fit one in (I realize that most of them are breakfast meals). How is Goofy's Kitchen for dinner?

We might splurge and do one "expensive" meal, but I'd like to stay in the moderate price range for most meals, if possible.

I'm also looking for recommendations on quick service locations for meals we don't have reservations for.

TIA! :)

Curious Constance

I'm looking for reviews/recommendations for the best places to eat when we visit next year! We are open to restaurants at the parks and/or resorts. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so we'll likely stay away from breakfast reservations unless it's an absolute must do.

I love character meals, so I would love to fit one in (I realize that most of them are breakfast meals). How is Goofy's Kitchen for dinner?

We might splurge and do one "expensive" meal, but I'd like to stay in the moderate price range for most meals, if possible.

I'm also looking for recommendations on quick service locations for meals we don't have reservations for.

We always eat at Goofy’s Kitchen for dinner once on our trips. It’s pretty decent buffet style food. If you’ve done a character buffet meal before at WDW, I’m sure the food is fairly similar. Characters are typically Minnie, Pluto, Donald, Goofy, Chip, and Dale. They used to offer more variety but stopped a few years back.

If you splurge, I’d definitely recommend Blue Bayou. It’s definitely a splurge, but the food was good and you really can’t beat the atmosphere. It’s one of those things you aren’t likely to ever forget. Especially if you love Pirates of the Caribbean. They usually offer some sort of dinner/priority seating for nighttime shows like Fantasmic!, so if you plan on watching that anyway, might be a good idea to double up and make one of those reservation.

As far as quick service, I’d recommend the Plaza Inn if you like fried chicken. Nice place with decent food.

George Lucas on a Bench

What do you consider expensive? The buffets at DL are over $40 for adults, which is ludicrous, to say the least. If you like characters awkwardly coming up to your table and pointing at the food, it may be worth it? I don't know. Might as well just go to the cafeteria in Pirates of the Caribbean for that price.

blreinsel

Original Poster
We always eat at Goofy’s Kitchen for dinner once on our trips. It’s pretty decent buffet style food. If you’ve done a character buffet meal before at WDW, I’m sure the food is fairly similar. Characters are typically Minnie, Pluto, Donald, Goofy, Chip, and Dale. They used to offer more variety but stopped a few years back.

If you splurge, I’d definitely recommend Blue Bayou. It’s definitely a splurge, but the food was good and you really can’t beat the atmosphere. It’s one of those things you aren’t likely to ever forget. Especially if you love Pirates of the Caribbean. They usually offer some sort of dinner/priority seating for nighttime shows like Fantasmic!, so if you plan on watching that anyway, might be a good idea to double up and make one of those reservation.

As far as quick service, I’d recommend the Plaza Inn if you like fried chicken. Nice place with decent food.
Forgot to mention Hungry Bear for quick service. Haven’t been since they changed the river bed so not sure how much that takes away from the ambiance, but it’s a nice, quiet view of the river while the Mark Twain paddles by :)

Thank you so much for all the great advice! :joyfull: I've heard great things about Blue Bayou, so that one is definitely pretty high up on the list! Goofy's Kitchen seems like it would be similar to Chef Mickey's at WDW (which I love), so I think it would be a good one for us! :)

What do you consider expensive? The buffets at DL are over $40 for adults, which is ludicrous, to say the least. If you like characters awkwardly coming up to your table and pointing at the food, it may be worth it? I don't know. Might as well just go to the cafeteria in Pirates of the Caribbean for that price.

I think that the character buffets are a relatively good deal for Disney, but I'm a huge fan of the characters so that's a personal preference. For reference, we recently splurged on dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse at WDW for our anniversary.

Touchdown

Touchdown’s must dos every trip:
-Monte Cristo (lunch at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans or dinner at Cafe Orleans)
- Plaza Fried Chicken (quick service)
-Oga’s Cantina

Highly Recommend:
-Plaza Character breakfast (a totally random and large collection of characters and chocolate chip Mickey Waffles)
-Storytellers Character Breakfast
-Carthay Circle
-Steakhouse 55
-Bengal Barbecue

Recommend:
-Wine Country Trattoria
-Naples
-Carnation Cafe
-Docking Bay 7
-Hungry Bear
-Earl of Sandwich

TROR

Hungry Bear's honey-spiced chicken sandwich is killer. $12 for a large sandwich with fries. I couldn't even finish my sandwich last I had it. Great food and decently priced for a theme park. Golden Horseshoe is also a recommendation because it's based off the 1953 film Calamity Jane starring Doris Day.

TP2000

For quick/casual meals outside the park in DTD, I recommend;
  • The Uva Bar for the lamb burger and fries and a glass of Malbec.
  • The Jambalaya and a bag of fresh beignets at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen walk-up window and patio seating.
  • A scoop of ice cream from Salt&Straw.
  • The Napolini make your own pizza bar attached to Naples Ristorante, and a bottle of Coke.
  • Deli sandwich and baked goods from La Brea Bakery take-out counter, eaten on the attached large patio.
  • Ballast Point Brewery, a bit of fresh n' hipster San Diego brought north to Anaheim. You'll know you're in SoCal!
Quick/casual meals to avoid outside the park, I recommend you avoid;
  • Splitsville sushi or most entrees. Most of their menu is corporate and tired and canned. My God, their sushi is a crime!
  • Most food locations at all three Disneyland Resort hotels. They are just way overpriced for what you get, with spotty customer service.
For fancier meals outside the park, I recommend:
  • Catal. A seasonal California-Continental menu. Great bar. Balcony tables have a view of the 9:30 fireworks.
  • Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. They have live jazz downstairs on weekend nights. Make a reservation!

Janir

Wife and I did Goofy's Kitchen for a Breakfast meal. It was fun and very interactive with the characters coming around more than once, that might be more because of breakfast has a smaller turnout that day, but overall it was fun.
Blue Bayou was a good lunch meal and we got to sit near the PotC water way 'swamp'. Nice ambiance and quieter from the other seating areas it seemed to us which was a bit strange as the rest of the seating was pretty much open to us on one side. Would do both again.

truecoat

Eating the Fried Chicken Sandwich at the River Belle Terrace was a pretty good meal for me. We had an outside table along the edge so we had a great view of the Mark Twain as it went by and the view of the area is fantastic.

blreinsel

Original Poster
Touchdown’s must dos every trip:
-Monte Cristo (lunch at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans or dinner at Cafe Orleans)
- Plaza Fried Chicken (quick service)
-Oga’s Cantina

Highly Recommend:
-Plaza Character breakfast (a totally random and large collection of characters and chocolate chip Mickey Waffles)
-Storytellers Character Breakfast
-Carthay Circle
-Steakhouse 55
-Bengal Barbecue

Recommend:
-Wine Country Trattoria
-Naples
-Carnation Cafe
-Docking Bay 7
-Hungry Bear
-Earl of Sandwich
Hungry Bear's honey-spiced chicken sandwich is killer. $12 for a large sandwich with fries. I couldn't even finish my sandwich last I had it. Great food and decently priced for a theme park. Golden Horseshoe is also a recommendation because it's based off the 1953 film Calamity Jane starring Doris Day.
For quick/casual meals outside the park in DTD, I recommend;
  • The Uva Bar for the lamb burger and fries and a glass of Malbec.
  • The Jambalaya and a bag of fresh beignets at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen walk-up window and patio seating.
  • A scoop of ice cream from Salt&Straw.
  • The Napolini make your own pizza bar attached to Naples Ristorante, and a bottle of Coke.
  • Deli sandwich and baked goods from La Brea Bakery take-out counter, eaten on the attached large patio.
  • Ballast Point Brewery, a bit of fresh n' hipster San Diego brought north to Anaheim. You'll know you're in SoCal!
Quick/casual meals to avoid outside the park, I recommend you avoid;
  • Splitsville sushi or most entrees. Most of their menu is corporate and tired and canned. My God, their sushi is a crime!
  • Most food locations at all three Disneyland Resort hotels. They are just way overpriced for what you get, with spotty customer service.
For fancier meals outside the park, I recommend:
  • Catal. A seasonal California-Continental menu. Great bar. Balcony tables have a view of the 9:30 fireworks.
  • Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. They have live jazz downstairs on weekend nights. Make a reservation!
I'd recommend the following:

Disneyland:

Sitdown-
Café Orleans - relaxing and moderately priced sit down restaurant
River Bell Terrace (breakfast) - Scenic view of the Rivers of America with great breakfast options such as fried porkchop with gravy and eggs

Counter Service-
Rancho Del Zorro - Counter service mexican restaurant with very generous portions and a nice outdoor eating area
Red Rose Tavern - Has specialty flatbread pizzas as well as speciality burgers. Can sometimes be a bit hit or miss but surprisingly good menu options and choices
Jolly Holiday - Fresh high quality sandwhiches with house made soft potato chips

California Adventure:

Sitdown-
Carthay Circle -a bit pricier than most places but the food is absolutely amazing and it is a very nice atmosphere

Counter Service-
Plaza Garden - High quality Mediterranean food at a good price
Lucky Dragon - Chinese and Thai food with generous portions, especially if you ask for no vegetables

Downtown Disney:
Naples - Amazing Italian food (especially the pizza), however service can be lackluster
Ralph Brennan Jazz Kitchen - Excellent Cajun food, highly recommended
Steakhouse 55 - Expensive but amazing, get the ribeye dry rub
Napa Rose - Best restaurant in the resort but the priciest

Worst Restaurants in the Resort:
Tommorowland Grill (DL)
Pizza Port (DL)
Hungry Bear (DL)
Smoke Jumpers Grill (DCA)
Wine Country Trattoria (DCA)
Wife and I did Goofy's Kitchen for a Breakfast meal. It was fun and very interactive with the characters coming around more than once, that might be more because of breakfast has a smaller turnout that day, but overall it was fun.
Blue Bayou was a good lunch meal and we got to sit near the PotC water way 'swamp'. Nice ambiance and quieter from the other seating areas it seemed to us which was a bit strange as the rest of the seating was pretty much open to us on one side. Would do both again.
Eating the Fried Chicken Sandwich at the River Belle Terrace was a pretty good meal for me. We had an outside table along the edge so we had a great view of the Mark Twain as it went by and the view of the area is fantastic.

Thank you all so much for your detailed reviews and recommendations! We may need to add days to our trip just to make time to eat at all these great places. 😋

Old Mouseketeer

At DCA I love the pasta at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, especially the Sundried Tomato Chicken Pasta (and friends have enjoyed the Pesto Cheese Ravioli). Plus you may have the Grammy-winning Mariachi Divas in the bandstand. Also the Lucky Fortune and Boudain locations on the Pacific Wharf are good.

At Disneyland, in addition to the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, I also recommend the Pot Roast. I like the Beastly Breakfast at Red Rose and have friends who like the new Beast Breakfast Burger. A new offering I haven't tried is the Tropical Hideaway in Adventureland for multiple flavors of Dole Whip and snacks. The Monte Cristo at any location in NOS is a favorite treat of many decades in my family.

Elsewhere at the resort, I still love the buffet at GCH Storytellers, even though the price keeps going up. At Downtown Disney, Catal, Uva Bar and any of the other offerings of Patina Group have always been dependably good. Also, a good menu at Ralph Brennan's.

Have fun, and bon apetit!

Nirya

Disneyland

Recommendations:
Cafe Orleans - I actually think I like this place more than Blue Bayou. Meals are a bit cheaper but no less good, and it’s usually much easier to get a table. It’s been our go-to sit down restaurant at Disneyland for awhile.
Red Rose Tavern - They redid the menu when they changed the theme here, and it is absolutely a shift into a great direction. Maybe my favorite quick-service in the entire resort.
Harbour Galley - I’m a sucker for the lobster roll, and they have clam chowder bread bowls as well if you’re only doing Disneyland.
Plaza Inn - The fried chicken. That is all.
Mint Julep Bar - It’s non-alcoholic, which is good, and the beignets are fantastic as well.

Avoid:
Pizza Planet - Red Rose Tavern having fantastic flatbreads puts even more of a spotlight on how bad the pizza is here.
Tomorrowland Terrace - It’s just kind of bland. There are better options throughout the resort for you to safely avoid this.

California Adventure

Recommendations:
Carthay Circle - Definitely a pricier option, but the drink menu is excellent, the food is exceptional, and the decor is fantastic.
Lamplight Lounge - Almost the Cafe Orleans to Carthay’s Blue Bayou, but similar idea. Great drink menu, good food (I really like the salmon BLT), and charming interior.
Cove Bar - Obviously a great choice if you’re looking for alcohol, but the lobster nachos here are a must-have (also the only food option shared by both Cove Bar and Lamplight).
Corn Dog Castle - You could also do the corn dogs in Disneyland, they’re the same, but the line is usually faster here, so if you want one, this is the spot to go to.
Boudin Bakery - Bread bowl soups are great in the autumn/winter. Your mileage may very on hotter days.

Avoid:
Smokejumpers Grill - The food has gotten “better” since the retheming, but it’s the same as TT; there’s better food hat you can safely avoid this.
Flo’s Cafe - I’ve heard people who love this place, but I’ve never found the food options to really work here. The Cozy Cones across the way have some solid snacks and real fun (non-alcoholic) drinks, though.
Cocina Cucamonga - It’s weird but I don’t feel like DLR does good Hispanic food. Rancho Del Zocalo is fine but skippable, and this is a step down from that.

Downtown Disney/Hotels

Recommended:
Trader Sams - I love this place. Get a seat at the bar and soak in the ambiance while enjoying good drinks and a surprisingly-killer menu.
Naples - Definitely has grown on me, and the seating has expanded so you should have an easier time getting seats and food quickly.
Salt and Straw - Fantastic ice cream.
Ballast Point - Mileage may vary, because the calling card is the brewery, but the food is good enough to get you in the door on its own.
Napa Rose - Unless you get extremely lucky, Club 33 probably isn’t happening for you. But Napa Rose is at the same level from a dining experience, and maybe my favorite fine-dining option in the entire resort.

Avoid:
Black Tap - I don’t think the food is worth writing home about, and the shakes, while extremely Instagrammable, are kind of a mess. If you absolutely have to have a Crazy Shake, some of them are available at a quick service stall on the corner.
Splitsville - I find the food to be hilariously overpriced compared to the quality.

Darkbeer1

Outside the park.

On Harbor, Mimi's Café and Panera Bread.

At GardenWalk, Fire+ICE, Grasslands, Roy's, Cheesecake Factory

In the new Cambria's Parking Lot on Katella. The Habit, California Fish Grill

On Harbor south of Katella, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

For Fine Dine, the Anaheim White House, worth the trip. And make sure to donate to Catrina's Club.

SuddenStorm

Outside the park.

On Harbor, Mimi's Café and Panera Bread.

At GardenWalk, Fire+ICE, Grasslands, Roy's, Cheesecake Factory

In the new Cambria's Parking Lot on Katella. The Habit, California Fish Grill

On Harbor south of Katella, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

For Fine Dine, the Anaheim White House, worth the trip. And make sure to donate to Catrina's Club.

You left out Anaheim's finest- Captain Kidd's

Darkbeer1

Nirya

I've never been in, but I have a deep fascination with Captain Kidd's, because I've heard the stories of how bad it is, so I always wonder how they manage to stay in business. Are there just that many tourists who think they'll get a decent meal right next to Disneyland to keep them around?

SuddenStorm

I left it out on PURPOSE.

It is the worse, or almost the worse restaurant in Anaheim. Please do NOT eat here!

Eh, ocweekly is like The Onion. Can't take it's articles seriously, and I think that article is funny because Captain Kidd's is often ranked as one of the best in the country. Here's a few reviews I've seen over the years:

"So good I kissed the chef!" - Gordon Ramsay

"We thought we provided great prices, but the value provided by Captain Kidd's is insane! Selling that high quality of food at that price should be illegal" - Jeff Bezos

"My Tesla engineers dine at Captain Kidd's during their development sessions due to the IQ boost the food provides" - Elon Musk

"When Club 33 opens, I will have the fine chefs at Captain Kidd's provide the cooking. Only the finest for our corporate partners" - Walt Disney (obviously, this one never happened, Disney decided to use their own cooks and the Bayou kitchen as a cost saving measure)

"Why even go into Disneyland when Kidd's is just a block away?" - Bob Gurr

"My trainer recommends I eat here both lunch and dinner while exercising for the Thor films" - Chris Hemsworth

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom