Dining Plans - Are they worth it?

down2earth

Original Poster
Hi - I'll be at WDW 8/1 - 8/8 and wondering if the dining plans are worth it for 2 adults? Also, we're staying at a WDW resort so I read somewhere that we can get a unlimited refills cup by paying around $20. Do you know about that too?

Thank you!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Generally no. The DDP is more for convenience than savings.

If all you do is compare food to dollars, you can come out ahead on the dining plan, but when you look at what you would actually order, the savings tend to go poof.

The refillable mugs are at the resorts only and, like the dining plan, rarely worth it.

The only way to know for sure is to do the math.

OneofThree

We've always gone the OoP route. I've looked into the DxDP in terms of value, and determined that you can save some, but you've got to do it just right, and eat a lot. We do a lot of sigs, and you lose on those. Ultimately, what little we might gain isn't worth keeping track of it. I count beans for a living and would be preoccupied with it the whole trip I think. YMMV.

higgipoker

Our calculations indicated no, unless you go out of your way to order the most expensive thing on every menu. If you are veg/vegan (or don't eat steaks!) then it's a definite no.

We didn't have a dining plan last year and can't imagine it being any more convenient than just having credit cards linked to the magic bands.

Having said that, in booking early for 2018, the deal included the Quick Service Plan at a very good price, so we have it this year! :cool: I wouldn't consider taking it as an extra though.

Even if I wasn't a veggie, I just don't like the idea of feeling obliged to order the filet steak every single time! :p

P.S. As of 2018, the dining plans include alcohol, so that adds a certain amount of value, for me at least. I do love me a nice cold beer with my meal :angelic:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Generally no. The DDP is more for convenience than savings.

If all you do is compare food to dollars, you can come out ahead on the dining plan, but when you look at what you would actually order, the savings tend to go poof.

The refillable mugs are at the resorts only and, like the dining plan, rarely worth it.

The only way to know for sure is to do the math.

I would tend to agree...

The dining plan is break even more or less...but you have to “eat up” to it to get to that or save money. Why not have the choice?

Especially on longer trips...Disney food is good at times - but heavy and just a tad unhealthy...so why force it down your throat on Day 6?

There’s another angle that nobody ever mentions...but if you dump your vacation and dining plan on a credit card or something with interest...you are paying more for that pecos bills later. That doesn’t make any sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We've always gone the OoP route. I've looked into the DxDP in terms of value, and determined that you can save some, but you've got to do it just right, and eat a lot. We do a lot of sigs, and you lose on those. Ultimately, what little we might gain isn't worth keeping track of it. I count beans for a living and would be preoccupied with it the whole trip I think. YMMV.

This is me...

We had it one time - in 2006 - and after salt detox...never could come up with a reason to justify it again. And that was when tips were included...and before they jacked all the menu prices that drove those tips way up.

It became probably a gimmick in 2012 or so...if I recall. But that’s somewhat a property wide thing...as they used recession discounts to shield big base price increases.

Chernabog75

We have found room discount and paying for food to be less expensive than free dining. Could be because where and what we eat but free dining doesn’t work
To me the key factor is where you are staying and what room discounts are available. For 2 people taking the room discount at a deluxe should be the better deal. Staying at a value resort may be a toss up.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
To me the key factor is where you are staying and what room discounts are available. For 2 people taking the room discount at a deluxe should be the better deal. Staying at a value resort may be a toss up.
Quite true. You always have to do the math.

We had one instance back when you would get the full DDP at the values where we had 4 adults in Disney's eyes in a single room at a value where the dollar value of the free dining promotion, exceeded the cost of the room.

Chernabog75

Quite true. You always have to do the math.

We had one instance back when you would get the full DDP at the values where we had 4 adults in Disney's eyes in a single room at a value where the dollar value of the free dining promotion, exceeded the cost of the room.
That is my situation. Staying at POP in August with my 3 kids (all 10+ age so adults). For 7 nights the free QS was $242 more than taking the room discount. Definitely saving with dining in my case.

KrzyKtty

When we had the middle version DDP last year, the only way I found that we would break even is if we ate the most expensive item on the menu just about every time. It really is more about convenience, and even then it wasn't so convenient to rack up hundreds of dollars in tips on my credit card anyway. Really wasn't saving any money.

dreamfinder

Hi - I'll be at WDW 8/1 - 8/8 and wondering if the dining plans are worth it for 2 adults? Also, we're staying at a WDW resort so I read somewhere that we can get a unlimited refills cup by paying around $20. Do you know about that too?

Thank you!

As several people have pointed out, you need to run the numbers. Look at the menus online, and see what you would want to eat and how much it would cost you. Then run the numbers vs the cost of dining. If you eat to the plan, you might come out ahead. But if you deviate much, IE don't normally drink sodas with every meal or don't eat daily snacks, the mouse wins.

The refillable mug is somewhat similar. The dining plan usually includes one for free, but your meals include drinks. If your hotel requires you to walk by/through the food court on your way to/from the parks, it's much easier to get a fill than if you don't walk by the food court. Over a multi day trip if you grab coffee in the morning, and then soda in the evening, you should come out ahead.

HouCuseChickie

After trying the regular DDP a few times (as well as the deluxe once), and then doing all of the math, we do much better paying OOP. The regular DDP provides a number of things we just don't want and not enough of others we normally do. The deluxe plan, while closer to our previous dining approach, is too much. We are cutting the majority of TS out of our plans, so whenever we do go back, I'm going to have to do the math again to see if the QS plan is any better in savings. While I know people who swear the plan saves them some $ and others who come close to breaking even and swear it's still worth it for the convenience, I can't see how you truly save anything with it unless you 1. planned on eating EXACTLY what the plan provides before ever looking at the details of the plan 2. structure it so you're eating the very most expensive places, meals of the day, and menu items each time you eat.

If it's "free" you still need to compare your savings against a room discount. I know some people who say free dining is the better deal because of they are a party of 5 with three children that are counted as adults. I know others who stay deluxe who have different family/travel group dynamics where the room discount is better for them.

Beyond that, while I think it's crazy, I know some people see worth in DDP so they can avoid sticker shock on their meals. In other words, they'd rather overpay on the front end in DDPs bulk pricing so they don't have a psychological freak out moment when the check comes for a $160 meal. This bugs me because we usually save a few hundred just paying OOP, but I know a lot of people are like this...even with things in the outside world. Not an apples to oranges comparison, but it's like people who avoid high deductible healthcare plans because of the pricey copays, but wind up spending thousands more per year in monthly premiums.

Rlandrigan

It's not a cost savings, especially for two people, unless you're planning to eat the most expensive choices at the most expensive single-credit table service restaurants, and plan on going through your snack credits. For most folks, you basically break even if you are eating enough.

The refillable mug is great IF you walk through the food court at your hotel, but it's a long way to anywhere when you're already in bed and want something:)

The dining plan is great for pre-planning - it's already paid, so there's much less sticker shock - and if you are planning to do a lot of character buffets, but for a couple, you're more likely to do better in sheer numbers by putting the money aside in advance and eating whatever you want without feeling pushed to spend as much as possible.

higgipoker

Also worth noting is that not all locations accept the plan. The majority do, but I have encountered at least a handful of locations I was excited to add to our plan only to discover they don't accept dining credits.

JillC LI

We almost always get free dining, and it is generally a small savings. On our upcoming trip it will be free.
To me the key factor is where you are staying and what room discounts are available.
We have found room discount and paying for food to be less expensive than free dining. Could be because where and what we eat but free dining doesn’t work
We just had Kingdom Konsultants price it out for our upcoming trip to a deluxe, and the free dining discount was better than the room discount even accounting for adding in park hoppers to get the free dining so that is an extra perk.

ppet

Foe us free dining has always been the cheaper route. But it depends on your own style. I like to eat large on vacation and I tend to burn calories at a higher rate when roaming the parks. If you are not a "big" eater then it probably is not for you. Do the math but don't look at the menu like it is your normal Thursday night at your local eatery. If on your vacation you like to eat steak and lobster price it that way, if it is only meatballs and spaghetti do the same, but the answer won't be the same. Also if you don't like to take a chuck of your time out sitting down to a meal, the DDP is probably not for you. Also this only applies to the Table service version. I have never gotten a good return on the QS.

slappy magoo

Thank you!
Did you make meal reservations yet? Knowing where you've planned to eat, and what you would probably order, would go a long way in determining its worth.

A lot of people have made the point that OOP worked better for them, and historically speaking, I don't doubt it. But there's a "wild card" starting this year, which is, in a word, booze. The dining plans now include a alcoholic beverage if you're over 21 (and I'm just assuming you are) for quick service and table service. Even if you ordered "just a beer" with each meal, and the cheapest beers at that, that's roughly 20% of the cost of a standard dining plan ($75.50). But it can also include wine and specialty cocktails, some of which could be around $15 each.

If you were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, had a simple lunch of a chicken salad and a 7.50 beer at Mara, and a hearty dinner with a $10 glass of wine at Boma, add the tax, you'd be around $74 of your $75.50 dining plan for the day, and you still have your 2 snacks. A brownie with your lunch, popcorn in one of the parks...that's roughly 9.65 but we'll round down anyway to 9 bucks. So you got $83 of food and drink for $75.50...plus your refillable mug.

If you were on the deluxe plan, and intended a sit down breakfast? Maybe Tusker House (2 buffets on one day? Sheesh, it's a good thing you got that salad for lunch!), that's about 30 bucks. Another 10 or so were you to get a Mimosa (but that is a drink at every meal, don't forget to hydrate). So that puts you at about $123 OOP versus $116 for the cost of one person on the Deluxe plan.

The two of you would come out $14-15 ahead for the day. If that's how you plan to eat every day for the week? You'll "save" about $100. The question becomes - is that how you think you'd eat every day? Full service breakfast AND dinner? And a counter service lunch? All with an alcoholic drink, every day?

Maybe you'd opt for some Signature meals, so you'd be eating less BUT eating fancier. Or the Hoop De Do Revue, seats comparable to what you could get on the dining plan would run $67 per person.

Now past couple of trips the Deluxe Dining Plan was worth it for us, but that's because a: we tended to do 2 sitdown meals, with pretty much at least one of them every day being a character meal because b: we had 2 kids under the age of 10. The cost for kids on Deluxe made it incredibly "worth it" and this was even before booze was included. Even having to skip some meals and converting those meal credits to snack credits, we saved a few hundred, easily. But now one of our kids will be 10, so the jump in price makes it cost prohibitive. Plus, I'm not much of a drinker at all. My wife will have a glass or two of wine with some meals, but not if we're planning on heading back to the parks at night, the alcohol on top of the heat and humidity, walking around, would just break her. We're eligible for the 20% Tables in Wonderland discount, so we'll probably go that route instead.

Know it's a long reply. Sorry about that. But to repeat myself, if you already made reservations, if you have an idea what you'd eat at the places you booked, you can get an idea whether or not you'd at least break even.

NeedMoreMickey

We almost always get free dining, and it is generally a small savings. On our upcoming trip it will be free.

We just had Kingdom Konsultants price it out for our upcoming trip to a deluxe, and the free dining discount was better than the room discount even accounting for adding in park hoppers to get the free dining so that is an extra perk.
Great. Always nice to have extra money to spend in the parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom