Dining Plan vs. Room Discount

I know people in other threads have touched on this a little, but was hoping for some of the experts opinions on what gets you the most bang for your buck.

We're going to the World Aug. 14-25, staying at POP, and upgraded from the Free QSD to the One Table Service, One Counter Service, One Snack per day plan.

Now that the room discounts are out as well - do you think we should switch? Thank you!:)

fosse76

I know people in other threads have touched on this a little, but was hoping for some of the experts opinions on what gets you the most bang for your buck.

We're going to the World Aug. 14-25, staying at POP, and upgraded from the Free QSD to the One Table Service, One Counter Service, One Snack per day plan.

Now that the room discounts are out as well - do you think we should switch? Thank you!:)

My understanding is that the free dining at a Value Resort is a better discount than the Room-Only discount. At a Value Resort, since your dates are in what Disney has listed as the Value Season, you're definitely better off with the free dining plan.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is a simple numbers game. Add up what you are getting in the way of free dining (ie 2 adults at a value $60 per day, 2 adults in a moderate or better $80 per day, etc) and compare it to the discount that you would be getting with a room discount. Go with which one saves you the most.

As a general rule free dining will be the better deal with 2 or more guests over 9 in a value or a moderate room. It starts to get a bit fuzzy when you go into a deluxe or DVC but for the most part a room discount with 3 or fewer guests over 9 will win out in a deluxe or DVC room.

Upvote 0

amykissangel

Original Poster
Thank you! We had added it up, and it looks like doing the dining vs. the discount will make our dining "cost" about $24 per person, per day. I think with eating at France, Italy, Canada, Britain, Liberty Tree, Tony's, Sci Fi, 50's, Wolfgang's, GF Cafe...and there are 6 of us...I feel it's worth it. My mother needs some convincing. ;~)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Thank you! We had added it up, and it looks like doing the dining vs. the discount will make our dining "cost" about $24 per person, per day. I think with eating at Italy, Canada, Britain, Liberty Tree, Tony's, Sci Fi, 50's, Wolfgang's, GF Cafe...and there are 6 of us...I feel it's worth it. My mother needs some convincing. ;~)

Master Yoda pretty much nailed it.

The only other thing that you have to look at besides hard numbers, is if the dining plan works for you.

For me, the plan does not. Most of the time our eating habits do not mesh well with the plan. Many of the places we like to eat are two credits. When we eat there, we usualy get appitizers, not dessert. We also don't match the snack and quick service outline either. So for me, to go with the plan it has to be clearly more of a deal money wise than the room discount. For other people, the plan is much closer to their normal eating habits, and they don't have to do as much shoehorning to make the plan work.

-dave

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

If you plan on eating the food, then the free plan (or upgraded in your case) does work out at a value resort. Since you seem like you are going to be eating at a number of restaurants, then I think Richards advice is spot on for you and you should stick to the plan.

Upvote 0

Tiger45

Simple solution

THis is an easy item to figure out. You can go to the website and plan your vacation out with either offer and see what saves you the most. As rule of thumb the dining pplan saves you the most, I inputed our vacation for 9 day stay at moderate and it was $600 cheaper than the room offer. Good luck.

139 days til WDW:p:sohappy:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

It is a simple numbers game. Add up what you are getting in the way of free dining (ie 2 adults at a value $60 per day, 2 adults in a moderate or better $80 per day, etc) and compare it to the discount that you would be getting with a room discount. Go with which one saves you the most.

As a general rule free dining will be the better deal with 2 or more guests over 9 in a value or a moderate room. It starts to get a bit fuzzy when you go into a deluxe or DVC but for the most part a room discount with 3 or fewer guests over 9 will win out in a deluxe or DVC room.

Exactly. Marie

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Just to add to the calculations...

If you prefer Table Service over Quick Service and have an AP in your party, TiW savings combined with your room discount might tip in favour of dropping the "free" dining that isn't really free... :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Gregger

Free dining for me is way better...My family of 4 is staying at POFQ Aug 15-23 and we got the free sit down plan which = about $1200 savings and the current 30% off mod for that time = $410 off room only....A no brainer......

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

One factor to watch in doing the math is that the dining plan will not cover all the meals, only so many per night's stay.
So don't figure as if all eating is going to be free. You still have to buy some meals yourself.

Good luck.
:)

Upvote 0

Lucky

Free dining for me is way better...My family of 4 is staying at POFQ Aug 15-23 and we got the free sit down plan which = about $1200 savings and the current 30% off mod for that time = $410 off room only....A no brainer......
That's exactly our situation: family of 4 staying at a mod for 8 days. So we get free dining whenever it's offered.

For a smaller family or one staying at a deluxe, the 30% off may be a bigger discount.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

One factor to watch in doing the math is that the dining plan will not cover all the meals, only so many per night's stay.
So don't figure as if all eating is going to be free. You still have to buy some meals yourself.

Good luck.
:)

Hey there, I hjad gotten a Free Dining PIN Offer last year for December, and some of my family are foodies so I paid the difference and got the Deluxe Dining plan. That was more food that any sane person could eat and that was with doing Signature Restuarants almost every night of our stay!!! Also keep in mind that the Deluxe Dining plan includes an appetizer as well. It was more than enough food, so if purchasing meals is a concern Id look at this option as well. Marie

Upvote 0

Gregger

Hey there, I hjad gotten a Free Dining PIN Offer last year for December, and some of my family are foodies so I paid the difference and got the Deluxe Dining plan. That was more food that any sane person could eat and that was with doing Signature Restuarants almost every night of our stay!!! Also keep in mind that the Deluxe Dining plan includes an appetizer as well. It was more than enough food, so if purchasing meals is a concern Id look at this option as well. Marie

For our family the 2 meals plus 1 snack is more than enough.....last yr we had the same deal and by mid week I was tired of eating....:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

heathrt

We have saved the most by the Visa deal, children 3-9 play & eat free... Our 2 guys fit into that age group and out daughter is 1. We upgraded the plan to table service and it was about $60.00 less than free dining. The room discount for value isn't as good as a deal, maybe for the deluxe it is?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

As Master Yoda has said, it really is a numbers deal. For the Room Discount offer it is 30% at a Value & Moderate and 40% at Deluxe and Deluxe Villas. I can tell you that 30% off a resort room that is about $100.00 is far less of a discount than 40% off a resort room that is around $400.00 a night. The same idea applies ot the Free Dining vs. The room discount offer, Run the numbers to see which works better for you, or book through Kingdom Konsultants and we do that for you. Marie

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom