Dining Plan dropping food quality??

jayjay

Hey crash. the Free Dining promotion was announced in June and offered to select packages booked by June 25, 2006 for travel dates between Aug 18(?) and Sept 30, 2006. Select, you say? What does that mean? Well, it usually means that there are limited numbers of packages avaiable for each hotel and for certain dates, but it's really anyone's guess as to how you could NOT get the free dining because everyone and their brother seems to have been able to book it. This is the second year Disney has offered this promo during the end of summer/fall when crowd levels are the light. Keep a weather eye open for the promo again next year, it seems to be working!

Disney did the dining because of the hurricanes over the last couple of years. In 2004, we went in between hurricanes, Frances was hitting at home, and Ivan was lurking. Alot of people got nervous because Disney got hit 4 times with the storms. In 2004, alot of people changed there reservations. In 2005, they started the dining during hurrican season because of what happened in 2004. In 2005, Katrina and Rita popped in, so they did it again. I don't think they would do it again. Also, not to be rude, for every person on the FREE plan, you are saving TONS of money. So things might not go the same as normal, FREE is the word. Sometimes people just want to complain. They will complain if they pay for it, they will complain if it's free. I also no that they have added some lunches in places like Chef Mickey's to fix the overcrowding at the restaurants.

polynesiangirl

This thread is depressing me...we don't use the dining plan when we go (we always seem to have extra park passes, so we don't book packages,) and I was wondering if it would have any effect on the food quality. It seems like before many guests put a lot less emphasis on the sit down dinners and are now coming in droves (for obvious reasons, it's not like I blame them if Disney's giving the food away at a huge discount or free.)

I've always loved the dining at Disney, to me it's almost been like a well kept secret - so many people often associate it with hot dogs and fries, it was always funny to me that we ate at places like the Cali Grill when we would go, how different that was from what most people expected.

I hope this isn't a permanent downward trend. I guess I'll see for myself in a few weeks. :(

Tim G

SERVER: Hey Joe... 5 cheddar cheese soup...

JOE: What customer grade???

SERVER: Dining plan...

JOE: Here are the stale bread sticks...

SERVER: Don't forget to add the water to the soup...

SERVER: There you go guys... Some nice bread sticks... And here's the soup...

Enjoy your meal... :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
you are saving TONS of money. So things might not go the same as normal, FREE is the word. .

So what about those who have paid for the dinning plan, are their complaints justified?

Also if you read again you will see that the original posts comment on the reduction of choice and quality not just wait times.

tink81

Also, not to be rude, for every person on the FREE plan, you are saving TONS of money. So things might not go the same as normal, FREE is the word. Sometimes people just want to complain. They will complain if they pay for it, they will complain if it's free. I also no that they have added some lunches in places like Chef Mickey's to fix the overcrowding at the restaurants.

Not to be rude, but I don't recall complaining about anything as I haven't gone on my trip yet and Pumba was merely putting his experience out there and asking if anyone else shared his concerns. Disney World is not the Bargain Basement and we have come to expect a certain level of quality when we visit there, Pumba felt the service/quality was slipping on his recent trip.
I had my trip booked before the free dining was announced and while I happily accepted the $400+ back into my pocket I would gladly pay for the dining plan if it meant reduced crowds and flexible dining options. :wave:

Lucky

We just returned from being on the free dining plan (Aug 17-25) with legions of others. I can't speak for others, but my wait times for being seated were actually lower than in previous visits when free dining was not in effect. Nor did I observe any reduction in the quality of the food or service. Nor did I have the slightest problem getting the reservations I wanted, because I called months in advance. Obviously that won't be the case for people calling later.

Kennyg: We chose Rose & Crown to have a good view of Illuminations. The food is not bad, and you can easily run up a large bill there just as at Coral Reef (which we did the very next night).

Senderalla: Of course I agree guests not accompanied by children have a right to see the characters. I don't know if you've been to Chef Mickey's, but it's particularly geared to young children. The large room in the back is full of cartoon decor, and there is a napkin-waving quasi-party every 20 minutes. Any guests with children go there exactly to experience that, while I'm sure many guests without children would not mind missing it. If there's a small section without that decor and atmosphere, they should try to sit guests without children there instead of guests with children. And they should try to accomodate as soon as feasible anyone's request to move to the larger room. If I had been there with my parents instead of my kids, I'd have happily accepted the table in the quiet section they assigned me initially. On the more general issue of access to characters at WDW, when space or time constraints mean a character must choose between entertaining a kid or an adult, other things equal the kid should get preference. Pleasure Island and the golf courses are for adults, but Mickey and Goofy are for kids.

Senderella

Senderalla: Of course I agree guests not accompanied by children have a right to see the characters. I don't know if you've been to Chef Mickey's, but it's particularly geared to young children. The large room in the back is full of cartoon decor, and there is a napkin-waving quasi-party every 20 minutes. Any guests with children go there exactly to experience that, while I'm sure many guests without children would not mind missing it. If there's a small section without that decor and atmosphere, they should try to sit guests without children there instead of guests with children. And they should try to accomodate as soon as feasible anyone's request to move to the larger room. If I had been there with my parents instead of my kids, I'd have happily accepted the table in the quiet section they assigned me initially. On the more general issue of access to characters at WDW, when space or time constraints mean a character must choose between entertaining a kid or an adult, other things equal the kid should get preference. Pleasure Island and the golf courses are for adults, but Mickey and Goofy are for kids.

:veryconfu Do you really believe PI & the golf courses are for adults but Mickey & Goofy are for kids? LOL Keep in mind, I'm trying to be respectful as possible, but this just throws me for a loop. We have been to Chef Mickey's. We usually hit it twice a trip and enjoy being in the "cartoon room". I don't agree with you that it's geared toward young children. LOL The Hollywood & Vine Playhouse Disney character meal.. I'll give you that one. I don't think any particular character meal (with the exception of H&V) is geared toward young kids only. It's a bit discriminatory to say "all of this is for the children.. adults have pleasure island & golf courses, but everything else is for the kids" which I know you did not say, but it could easily be said from your standpoint. If you think about it... just about everything at WDW can be labeled as "being for the kids" when in actuality, it's not. :veryconfu Obviously I agree about character time constraints and choosing a child over an adult.

Aurora_25

I have never used the dining plan since we are DVC members and would have to pay for it- we already have a dining card that saves us 20% on almost all meals and so for us that was the way to go. Now, my DH and I have noticed a decline in the portion size of food at some resturaunts around Disney. The big one for us was Le Cellier as this used to be our favorite place to go and eat, but the last time we were there, the menu had less on it and the portions were alot smaller than what we were used to so we tend to just avoid going there now.
Other than that, I haven't seen a huge change....I mean portions are smaller and the menus are more limited which to me doesn't seem right, but we haven't really had a problem with servers or feeling rushed to eat.

BRER STITCH

...the menu had less on it and the portions were alot smaller than what we were used to so we tend to just avoid going there now.
....I mean portions are smaller and the menus are more limited which to me doesn't seem right...

This is exactly the issue I tried to address earlier. Funny thing is, I first noticed it at Le Cellier too! :eek:

We gladly over-paid for meals at WDW for many years before the whole Dining Plan ever existed. Why? Because it made our trip more special. It was always worth it because the service was good, the menus were more exciting, the portions were large, and you always felt like you were being treated royally - something we can't always afford to do at home.

Smaller protion size and limited menus are a direct result of giving food away that many would have gladly paid for anyway. I'd almost rather have Disney offer airline or gas vouchers instead of destroying the dining experience that was always a fun part of our vacation.

Lucky

:veryconfu Do you really believe PI & the golf courses are for adults but Mickey & Goofy are for kids? LOL Keep in mind, I'm trying to be respectful as possible, but this just throws me for a loop. We have been to Chef Mickey's. We usually hit it twice a trip and enjoy being in the "cartoon room". I don't agree with you that it's geared toward young children. LOL The Hollywood & Vine Playhouse Disney character meal.. I'll give you that one. I don't think any particular character meal (with the exception of H&V) is geared toward young kids only. It's a bit discriminatory to say "all of this is for the children.. adults have pleasure island & golf courses, but everything else is for the kids" which I know you did not say, but it could easily be said from your standpoint. If you think about it... just about everything at WDW can be labeled as "being for the kids" when in actuality, it's not. :veryconfu Obviously I agree about character time constraints and choosing a child over an adult.
I think we're pretty much in agreement on the more general issue. Of course disney has something for everybody, and there are actually more activities reserved for adults only than for children. But I think the whole Chef Mickey's thing works only because there is a room full of young kids. Without them it would all feel completely ridiculous, to the people inside the costumes and everyone else, and it would die an instant death.

Lucky

This is exactly the issue I tried to address earlier. Funny thing is, I first noticed it at Le Cellier too! :eek:

We gladly over-paid for meals at WDW for many years before the whole Dining Plan ever existed. Why? Because it made our trip more special. It was always worth it because the service was good, the menus were more exciting, the portions were large, and you always felt like you were being treated royally - something we can't always afford to do at home.

Smaller protion size and limited menus are a direct result of giving food away that many would have gladly paid for anyway. I'd almost rather have Disney offer airline or gas vouchers instead of destroying the dining experience that was always a fun part of our vacation.
But notice Aurora said she hadn't seen a huge change, and she didn't say when she noticed the decline in portion sizes (which when I was there last week are still larger than most people could eat). I think people are rushing to judgment on two counts: first, that the quality is markedly deteriorating, and second that it's somehow because of free dining promotions. "Destroying the dining experience"? We couldn't have asked for more. It was a terrific experience. Try it.

Aurora_25

But notice Aurora said she hadn't seen a huge change, and she didn't say when she noticed the decline in portion sizes (which when I was there last week are still larger than most people could eat). I think people are rushing to judgment on two counts: first, that the quality is markedly deteriorating, and second that it's somehow because of free dining promotions. "Destroying the dining experience"? We couldn't have asked for more. It was a terrific experience. Try it.

True, I didn't say when it was declining- but it was right after they started a dining plan and honestly, my DH and I didn't even know about the Dining plan at that point and we were surprised to see how small the portions had become....
Now, to me portion size isn't a big deal, because I don't eat a whole lot anyway, but it is a HUGE deal to my DH who likes to eat more than I do (I eat like a bird...LOL) Now, I said that other than the portion sizes I didn't see a huge change- portion size is a big deal to many people though, especially if you are paying for it. I know that the prices have gone up a little at certain places that used to have larger portions and their portions are alot smaller now than what they used to be. To me, that isn't right to the paying customer and I can see how maybe the dining plan had a change to it, but maybe it didn't, I don't know.

Senderella

I think we're pretty much in agreement on the more general issue. Of course disney has something for everybody, and there are actually more activities reserved for adults only than for children. But I think the whole Chef Mickey's thing works only because there is a room full of young kids. Without them it would all feel completely ridiculous, to the people inside the costumes and everyone else, and it would die an instant death.

:lol: At least one of us is following! Cool.. I was just trying to point out how you were coming across ya know? That was the point of my posts. The feel of many places probably does exist because of the awe from the kids and it rubs off.. lol but some of us "forced adults" don't need much help :hammer:

AEfx

I think people are rushing to judgment on two counts: first, that the quality is markedly deteriorating, and second that it's somehow because of free dining promotions.

Exactly. I guess some people need to assign a "blame". I've seen tons of messages like this after free-dining last year, about the death of Disney over it.

Free dining works because it draws a lot of people in at a VERY hairy time of year for travel to Florida. It's worth it to Disney because they fill rooms and sell park tickets they wouldn't have, because people's fear of hurricanes is less than their greed for free food. It's a wonderful experience, and it's a simple cause and effect. What isn't a simple conclusion is that an overall change in dining has anything to do with that promotion.

It's funny, but every time I turn around I hear someone complaining that portion sizes are WAY too large at WDW for their tastes. The larger portions also greatly encouraged sharing (one of the most oft repeated Disney budget tips ever). I think Disney is responding to that, not reducing portion size or quality simply because of a promotion they have run for one month a year for the past two year because of the extreme weather in the reigon expected and delivered during those seasons.

AEfx

BRER STITCH

If you enjoyed your dining plan experience, good for you! :sohappy:

It helps to understand that others may have had a different experience. In that respect, I'll agree with those who share my thoughts, and disagree with some others.

Rushing to judgement? Hardly! :lol: After carefully planning my WDW breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for 30 years worth of trips, I've seen plenty of changes - some good, others bad. Should I have waited 31 years to critique the Dining Plan? I waited 2 already. :rolleyes:

I know what I like, and personally know how the entire experience of making a reservation, being seated at a restaurant in a timely manner, being waited on by a pleasant and skilled staff, and enjoying the food has always been.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (phew!), that has all suffered as a result of the Dining Plan.

Feel free to disagree, but it wont change MY experience.

:wave:

kennyj29

Dining Plan

Thanks Lucky for the info! I will definitely put my foot down next year and try Rose and Crown. However, IMHO, I'd rather have a little inconvenience and save $1400.00 on my trip. I know there might be a small change and I can deal with that. I get two free meals and personally, that is all we ate anyway when we went to Disney. I don't think the change is due to the free food plan because of all the changes they have made for next year already!! All the new rules on the food plan in where you can eat and where you can't just shows me they are probably losing money on this deal. They shut off a lot of restaurants for next year even when the free food plan isn't offered. So maybe they will make people take the more expensive plan to get to eat where they can't on the cheaper one. Then the food at those restaurants BETTER BE OUTSTANDING!

Lucky

I had wondered why they offered free dining, instead of just lower room rates or something else, if they wanted to lure more people in to the resorts during peak hurricane season. My wife's answer to this is that Disney was introducing people to the dining plan: guests who were unaware of it or who (like me) assumed it wasn't a good deal would purchase it in future after a free trial. If so, it makes no sense for Disney to let the quality deteriorate or to start restricting options. Who would pay for an inferior version of what they previously got for free? So I am optimistic that they will maintain quality and choice under the plan.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
Who would pay for an inferior version of what they previously got for free? .

Having previously used the Dinning Club discount and having paid for the dinning plan this trip and made a comparison, is why I made the original post.

Perhaps Disney asked President Blair to introduce the law banning holidays outside term time to help fill capacity at hurricane time too?

Ciciwoowoo

If you enjoyed your dining plan experience, good for you! :sohappy:

It helps to understand that others may have had a different experience. In that respect, I'll agree with those who share my thoughts, and disagree with some others.

Rushing to judgement? Hardly! :lol: After carefully planning my WDW breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for 30 years worth of trips, I've seen plenty of changes - some good, others bad. Should I have waited 31 years to critique the Dining Plan? I waited 2 already. :rolleyes:

I know what I like, and personally know how the entire experience of making a reservation, being seated at a restaurant in a timely manner, being waited on by a pleasant and skilled staff, and enjoying the food has always been.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (phew!), that has all suffered as a result of the Dining Plan.

Feel free to disagree, but it wont change MY experience.

:wave:

Brer Stitch,

I completely agree with your take on the situation here. We found much the same thing when we went in May.

It may have been OK if we have not been guests at WDW since the mid 70's, and have experienced the quality that Disney was known for.

We got spoiled, though. We expected so much more from Disney. That's why we go to Disney every year, and have for almost 30 years.

The dining plan seemed like such a good idea at the time. We were very exciting by the prospects of pre-paying for our meals. We would be going to places that we would have eaten at without the plan.

Instead, we faced one disappointment after the next. I did make sure to write the Disney company about our experience when we got home.

I was thinking that perhaps the bad service we faced was due to the Dining plan, and we wouldn't have to deal with it next time because we will not opt to go with the Dining plan again.

I do hope that the Dining plan will not make those of us who choose to dine without it suffer during our next visit. I would hate to think Disney's quality dining is a thing of the past.

Senderella

I don't see how the paid dining plan can make the quality go down. Unless you're going to the more "upscale" places, you're just about breaking even and maybe saving a few bucks. I can see where they'd be taking a hit with the free dining plan and quality possibly going down during that time to cut costs. I'm up for learning if I'm wrong. Does anyone know when the free dining is supposed to end?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom