Dining Option...needed or not???

Happy-go-Lucky

Original Poster
With the dining option that Disney has now ($37) per adult per night....is this something most people do or not? Would all you disney regulars recommend it and say it's a "must have"? Or is it not that big of a deal???

SteveUK

Depends if you want to eat or not. Have a think about where you are likely to be eating, and what sort of thing you will be going for (buffet or expensive restaurant) and then have a think about how much you might not save.

Jamie P

I agree with SteveUK. It all depends on where you are eating. Some of the more expensive sit down restaurants can create a costly bill when you are paying out of pocket. So this is where the dining plans really pay off. If you are going to be doing fast, inexpensive restaurants, then weigh your choices before you buy the plan. It can work out to your benefit if you plan ahead. We've done dining both ways and the best is when you eat somewhere like California Grill or Yachtsman on a dining plan and the bill is over $200.00 and it is on the plan. You eat and basically walk out. That is when you really see the savings.

SallyShine

We will be using the dining plan for the first time in March. I've already made all of my reservations and we'll be eating at many restaurants that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. I'm sure we'll all gain about 10lbs, but I look forward to trying some of the nicer restaurants.

swimmom

Our last trip in December was a long weekend, with only three full days in the parks. So we decided not to do the dining option because we were only planning on one table service meal and the rest of our meals were counter service which take less time away from the parks. Our next trip will be eight days and we will be able to take a more liesurely pace in the parks. We will most likely add the dining option for that trip after I figured out that we will be saving at least $100/person on food depending on where and what we eat.

nstillwell

I have two small children and would not consider an eating plan. My kids are happy with breakfast cereal in the room and peanut butter crackers for lunch.
We usually pick up a restaurant meal here or there, but not enough to make the plan pay.
When you call to make reservations they are really putting the eating plan on a hard sell.

wannabeBelle

As Jamie said it really depends on your eating style. The plan allows one snack, one counter service and one sit down meal per person, per night of your stay. You cannot trade up say two counter service meals for one sit down etc. The plan just doesnt work like that. Also some people arent as comfortable taking the time for a nice sit down meal when they could be out enjoying the parks. It really does depend on what style of eating you prefer. If you are OK with the set up as given, then it just may be a really great way to experience some of the nicer restaurants. Keep in mind that not all of the restaurants participate and some are what is called a "Signature" Dining experience which means that you will need to "pay" two of your sit down meals to eat there one time. Some of them are the California Grill, The Yachtsman Steakhouse, Cinderella's Royal Table as of Feb 1, 2006, The Hoop Dee Doo Review, The Polynesian Luau, Jiko in the AKL, Citrico's and Narcoosee's in the Grand Floridian etc. I was trying to access the Disneyworld website to get a link for the list but the site is down at the moment. I will try again later. Everyone that I know that has gone with the Dining program has been very happy with it and would recommend it. For an almost cash free vacation, it really cant be beat. Incidentally the price is $37.99 per adult per night of your vacation. Any questions, please ask!!! Belle

WDWCP

I've got a silly question...

I know www.disneyworld.com states that for each day you are on the plan you get 1 table meal, 1 counter service, 1 snack, etc...

Theoretically... If you were on the dining plan for 8 days, could you eat 8 snacks on one day and have them all be covered? Could you then not eat anything the next day and then maybe have two table service meals the third day, etc...?

Basically, are you limited to one per day of each thing you get, or is it setup so that if you are on the plan for 8 days, you just get 8 of everything and then you can use them as and when you see fit?

WDWCP said:
I've got a silly question...

I know www.disneyworld.com states that for each day you are on the plan you get 1 table meal, 1 counter service, 1 snack, etc...

Theoretically... If you were on the dining plan for 8 days, could you eat 8 snacks on one day and have them all be covered? Could you then not eat anything the next day and then maybe have two table service meals the third day, etc...?

Basically, are you limited to one per day of each thing you get, or is it setup so that if you are on the plan for 8 days, you just get 8 of everything and then you can use them as and when you see fit?
All the snacks, table services, and counter services are pooled together so you can use it in any combination that you want to.

WDWCP

suzie_q183 said:
All the snacks, table services, and counter services are pooled together so you can use it in any combination that you want to.

Excellent! I would assume it's managed through your room key card instead of any type of paper coupons, correct? ...And that you can check what you've got left still to use at various locations such as Guest Services?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
WDWCP said:
Excellent! I would assume it's managed through your room key card instead of any type of paper coupons, correct? ...And that you can check what you've got left still to use at various locations such as Guest Services?

When you use it, you get two receipts. One is the cash receipt that shows what your meal costs, the other is a summary of how many you've got left to use. [I think that's it... haven't done it myself yet... soon!]

wannabeBelle

Yep you all have the usage of the program down pat!!! Although keep in mind the number of snacks, counter service meals and sit down meals are governed by the number of NIGHTS of your stay!!!! Not days!!! So if you are staying for 8 days you will get seven of each item, not 8. Belle

PigletIsMyCat

If you can survive on fast food fare your entire trip (Casey's for hot dogs, Pecos Bill's for burgers) then the dining plan is completely useless. If you like to have a 'real' meal every day, the DDP is great. DH and I used it for the first time on our last trip, and ate at places we NEVER would have paid for, like Le Cellier and Biergarten. Now, especially that we understand how to work it, we won't go to Disney without it!

ErickainPA

We used the dining plan in December and it was awesome. You don't have to have each person in the party use their key, just use the 1 key as long as you are all linked and staying together, it will deduct a TS, CS, Snack for each person. Nice not having to worry if you brought enough money with us, if we spent too much or anything. For 1 price you get to eat really well and not break your own bank. Have fun planning out some restaurants, this allows you to be adventurous as well in your choices.

You really get a lot of food at each meal too. We saved quite a bit of money using the plan and would definately do it again.

TS are over $37.00 when you get the entree, appetizer, beverage and dessert.

CS you get the entree, beverage and dessert (except with breakfast) and that alone depending on where you dine is at least $8

Snacks are around the $2.50 mark

wannabeBelle

And what was really cool was during the Food & Wine fest when I went the snack options could be used to purchase the Food items!!!! THAT Was awesome!!!!!!!! Belle

Computer Magic

wannabeBelle said:
Cinderella's Royal Table as of Feb 1, 2006, Belle
I was wondering when Disney make this a 2 table . It was a great value at 1 table but for me will not be worth it as a 2 table.

Another good value place is Concourse Steakhouse which is currently a 1 table service. It could easy be a 2 table service, which I'm sure will happen in the future.

wannabeBelle

Computer Magic said:
I was wondering when Disney make this a 2 table . It was a great value at 1 table but for me will not be worth it as a 2 table.

Another good value place is Concourse Steakhouse which is currently a 1 table service. It could easy be a 2 table service, which I'm sure will happen in the future.
Hi there!!! The change from one to two will take place on February 1, 2006, the same date that all the Changes for dining at the Castle go into effect. Belle

When you cost out the potential savings for buying the dining plan remember that just because you can order something doesn't mean that you would have ordered it if you were paying out of pocket for your food. For example, DH and I visited last month for 10 days with the dining plan. Our last meal was at LeCellier and the receipt value was $126. It was a great meal, don't get me wrong, but our mentality was that we were obliged to order the most expensive items on the menu. We ordered 2 appetisers, 2 entrees, 2 desserts and 2 smoothies. If we had been paying out of pocket we probably wouldn't have ordered any appetisers, two small entrees and perhaps split a dessert as this meal was at 9pm. Too late to eat that heavy, but we had the plan, so we ordered the maximum we could.

The argument is that this plan is saving money, and it certainly did save us money for what we ate, but did it really save us money for what we would have eaten if we didn't have the plan.

If I was booking a vacation like the one we had last month I would certainly get the dining plan again. DH and I ate very well and had the time to commit to a three course meal every day, however if I had small children it might not be the best deal. You have to be prepared to eat in a table service restaurant every day to get the best value.

Just my two cents...

Tink

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom