Dining at AKL with picky teens

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My picky 10 year old has always found more to eat at Boma than at Jiko. And as for someone 10+ ordering from the children's menu, I always politely informed the server that although my child was a Disney adult for dining purposes, she still had a child's appetite and would likely be ordering from the child's menu. Sometimes it was even mixed entree from child's menu and dessert from adult menu. Never once had any problems with this. There really are some great options for all at Boma. If you can only fit in one AKL restaurant, I would say it is the best for the picky crowd. (But even better is to eat at all three on your trip!)

BrianV

Original Poster
My wife when asked thought Boma sounded better. I can still change again. Is this one of those situations where both options are good?

PinnySmart

My wife when asked thought Boma sounded better. I can still change again. Is this one of those situations where both options are good?
I think so. I could spend a week at WDW and only eat at AKL restaurants. Sanna and Jiko are just special and Boma has such a variety that you can eat there several times and never eat the same thing twice. And as far as quick service goes the African Stew at The Mara is delicious. There are several items there that no other quick service has.

slappy magoo

We still want to do Jiko, prob when our kids are the same age as yours (they're much younger now). Our 2 credit meals this trip will be Cali Grill (my wife's fave, and on the eve of her birthday) and Hoop De Do. Restaurant always looks (and smells) amazing. It's like my secret passion for Scarlet Johannsen I can only appreciate it from a distance oops did I type that out loud?

But Boma has (until our upcoming trip) been a must-do every single time. The selection seems less friendly to picky eaters than it usually is. If nothing else, when it comes to meats, there's usually some kind of beef/steak, turkey breast, whole pieces of bone-in roasted chicken (unless your kids don't do bones), at least one fish option...so many different soups and salads and sides...before kids we used to think "no matter how picky you are, you'll find something besides kids' menu choices to enjoy!"

Then we had kids.

So much for that theory.

Again, our kids are younger than yours but it's that concern that will probably hold us up from doing Boma again until a couple of years down the road, and why we're not trying Jiko yet.

jaklgreen

We still want to do Jiko, prob when our kids are the same age as yours (they're much younger now). Our 2 credit meals this trip will be Cali Grill (my wife's fave, and on the eve of her birthday) and Hoop De Do. Restaurant always looks (and smells) amazing. It's like my secret passion for Scarlet Johannsen I can only appreciate it from a distance oops did I type that out loud?

But Boma has (until our upcoming trip) been a must-do every single time. The selection seems less friendly to picky eaters than it usually is. If nothing else, when it comes to meats, there's usually some kind of beef/steak, turkey breast, whole pieces of bone-in roasted chicken (unless your kids don't do bones), at least one fish option...so many different soups and salads and sides...before kids we used to think "no matter how picky you are, you'll find something besides kids' menu choices to enjoy!"

Then we had kids.

So much for that theory.

Again, our kids are younger than yours but it's that concern that will probably hold us up from doing Boma again until a couple of years down the road, and why we're not trying Jiko yet.

I don't think that it has to do with being a kid. Being young does not make you a picky eater. It is all in what you are used to eating. We never fed our kids the typical American "kid" food, and my kids eat everything. They love Boma. Kids in other countries eat more then mac and cheese and pizza. I think Americans, as a whole, have gotten away from normal cooking and have really limited their variety of foods. Its good to eat more types of food.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hi-I have reservations at BOMA in August but at $40/person for my teens to eat chicken fingers from the buffet, it seems wasteful. I'd love it but not sure it makes sense.

Anyone had a similar experience? Are there other restaurants at AKL that better accommodate the chicken-finger teen crowd? (While still being delicious for adults!) And likewise does anyone know if my teens can order off the kids menu at the other restaurants? It looks like Saana(sp) may be a better choice. Even ultra expensive Jiko might still be a better deal.

It's just such a bummer that 10 and 13 year olds are considered adults when they have such limited eating repertoires.

In that case I'd advocate the Mara Jambo's QS restaurant they always have tasty african inspired dishes along with chicken fingers/mac-n-cheese and hot dogs. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper

BrianV

Original Poster
In that case I'd advocate the Mara Jambo's QS restaurant they always have tasty african inspired dishes along with chicken fingers/mac-n-cheese and hot dogs. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper

I'm sure we'll eat there too. We have three days at akl. Generally we plan to eat lunch or dinner in the parks on our whole days and at the hotels on our first and last. Was looking at dinner on our arrival night.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sure we'll eat there too. We have three days at akl. Generally we plan to eat lunch or dinner in the parks on our whole days and at the hotels on our first and last. Was looking at dinner on our arrival night.

If your family is anything like ours we are all a bit fried on arrival night the Mara has lots of ala carte items it might actually be more relaxing to grab dinner there because your teens will find exactly what they want to eat there. Then dine al fresco on the patio by the pool. For the adults the Mara has an excellent wine selection as well :geek: They also have the famous Zebra Domes (they contain rum BTW) which are a recommended dessert :hungry:
:hungry:

Last edited:

BrianV

Original Poster
If your family is anything like ours we are all a bit fried on arrival night the Mara has lots of ala carte items it might actually be more relaxing to grab dinner there because your teens will find exactly what they want to eat there. Then dine al fresco on the patio by the pool. For the adults the Mara has an excellent wine selection as well :geek: They also have the famous Zebra Domes (they contain rum BTW) which are a recommended dessert :hungry:
:hungry:

You make a convincing case! I enjoy dining outside more than about anything. And I must try one of these zebra domes. (Rum is good!)

Last edited:

BrianV

Original Poster
It doesn't matter if you order from the kids menu and are older, unless you are on the dining plan. They won't refuse to give it to you.

They did at the New Mexican restaurnat on the water in Epcot. And we were paying out of pocket. Fortunately we had one 9 year old and one 11 year old at the time and they swapped what they wanted to order as the 9 year old was happy with an adult meal.

I didn't argue much. But I was surprised.

Hockey89

I don't think that it has to do with being a kid. Being young does not make you a picky eater. It is all in what you are used to eating. We never fed our kids the typical American "kid" food, and my kids eat everything. They love Boma. Kids in other countries eat more then mac and cheese and pizza. I think Americans, as a whole, have gotten away from normal cooking and have really limited their variety of foods. Its good to eat more types of food.
It's all about eating habits that adults pass on to kids....Parents complaining about their picky eaters have no one to blame but themselves...

BrianV

Original Poster
It's all about eating habits that adults pass on to kids....Parents complaining about their picky eaters have no one to blame but themselves...

Remarkably enough, when I need Disney advice I go here and when I need child-rearing advice I go elsewhere. Thanks for reaffirming that I've been making the right choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom