Digital SLR Camera

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Hey everyone! I'm trying to find a good, cheap Digital (not required, but definatly prefered) SLR Camera. I would prefer Nikon or Canon, but again just a prefered thing, not required. Does anyone know of any good websites or deals that I could end up getting a body and small-medium (I forget the sizes) lens for no more than $250? If my cousin and I don't end up going to WDW this winter, than I will be willing to spend more. However, as for now, $250-$275 is my limit.

Thanks! :D

NowInc

Damn...i got the digital rebel XT (SLR)....amazing camera..but uh...the cheapest ive seen it for is 700

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Any other ideas? I am realllllyyyy wanting one of these cameras! I raise my limit to $350 ... maybe that will help. It must be digital but now I don't care what brand it is, as long as it takes really good pics! I'm going to talk to my cousin about it too. He works for a photography studio so he will probably have some ideas.

pisco

You might want to look at something like the Canon S1 IS. It is not too close to an SLR in terms of image quality but for your price range it has great features. 3.2 megapixels, 10x and optial image stabilization. It also has total manual control of focus, aperature, shutter speed and focus. So you can get as creative as you would like.

The image quality is quite good for a 3.2 mp camera. If you want to push your budget some, there is a 5 mp version with 12x zoom coming out in the next couple of months. There are aslo a few cameras in the Panasonic Lumix line with 12x zoom and similar specs and pricing. But their image quality tends to not be a s good as the Canon's.

Check out Canon's site for more info and some sample pictures (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9824).

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, but I'm wanting an actual SLR...that one was not. It doesn't have interchangable lenses. Thanks anyways though!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Wannabe Walt said:
Thanks for the link, but I'm wanting an actual SLR...that one was not. It doesn't have interchangable lenses. Thanks anyways though!

You're not going to find a digital SLR in the $350 price range. The Digital Rebel (original and XT) has been the price leader in this space but as was noted earlier you're typically looking at $700-$800 or more for those. You might want to take a look at eBay to see if someone is upgrading a Digital Rebel for something new and you might be able to get a used one a little cheaper.

If you want an SLR in that price range, you'll need to stick with a film camera. As above the Canon Rebel film version is a very good quality camera and you can pick it up new including a decent starter lense for $200.00. I'd do a search at shopper.cnet.com for internet vendors selling that camera and you'll likely see even better prices.

pisco

I'm sorry to say but there is no way you are going to get a new Digital SLR for $350. You could check eBay for some of the older models like a D30 or a D60. But even then, for $350 there probably won't even be a lens on the camera. So you will have to expect to spend at least $100 more to buy a lens before the camera will be useable.

If you really want an SLR in that price range you are going to have to look at film cameras. Both Nikon and Canon have several low end film SLRs in that price range.

Take a look around B&H to see whats available.

Good luck.

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
I've looked at some of the film ones and I love them! However, I want a Digital so that I don't have to have every picture I take printed. This way I will have a choice in what I want printed, and I can edit them on the comp and stuff. Can you have film pictures put on CD when you take them to get developed?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Most places that develop film can create a Photo CD or something similar of your film negatives. I haven't used film for many years now, but I went on a cruise a few years ago and bought a couple of disposable waterproof film cameras for the trip. When I had those developed, I just chose the option to include Digital images as well as got a CD with all my photos on it.

In many cases it's an add on in addition to prints, but if you check with a few places near you, they might have an option for digital images only from your negatives.

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
alright sound great! thanks donsullivan! I might just get a film one now! Any recomendations...besides the Canon Rebels (I already know those are good)?

donsullivan

Premium Member
I can't offer any specific advice on any of those as I've not really followed anything related to film cameras for quite a few years. The one piece of advice I might offer though is that as you make your decision on an SLR, keep in mind your desire for a Digital SLR in the future.

Make sure that whatever you choose, any lenses, filters or other accessories (flash or other items) you purchase over time can be migrated over to a Digital SLR you might acquire in the future. Over time it's not uncommon to spend additional money on a zoom lense or a separate flash and you'll want all of those to work when you've saved enough to invest in the Digital SLR in the future. Just be careful you don't choose a film SLR where those accessories won't be transportable to a digital SLR in the future.

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
This provokes me to purchase only a Canon 35mm SLR...that way I will have Canon accessories that I can transfer to my Canon Digital SLR when I get it! lol.

barnum42

Any reason it MUST be SLR? Many of the SLR looking fixed lens cameras give you all the control of an SLR and let you see what the lens sees.

I've got an older version of this:

http://www.fuji.co.uk/digital/cameras/s7000/?lpage=/digital/cameras/range.php

It gives me all the control I enjoyed from my Cannon Eos with the convenience of digital where you can instantly see the results and delete the shots that don't work. These are things you can't do with film.

PhotoDave219

NowInc said:
Damn...i got the digital rebel XT (SLR)....amazing camera..but uh...the cheapest ive seen it for is 700

Yeah Dan, the cheapest DSLR on the market is the Original Digital Rebel at $699. XT looks nice tho for entry level. How you like it?

NowInc

PhotoDave219 said:
Yeah Dan, the cheapest DSLR on the market is the Original Digital Rebel at $699. XT looks nice tho for entry level. How you like it?

The XT is incredible! So many contol options, native RAW support, and its not heavy. Only gripe is its made out of plastic (not cheap..but still)..makes me worried about breaking it.

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
Any reason it MUST be SLR? Many of the SLR looking fixed lens cameras give you all the control of an SLR and let you see what the lens sees.

I've got an older version of this:

http://www.fuji.co.uk/digital/camer...meras/range.php

It gives me all the control I enjoyed from my Cannon Eos with the convenience of digital where you can instantly see the results and delete the shots that don't work. These are things you can't do with film.

I want an SLR mainly for the different lenses. However, this Fujifilm one that you linked to looks really good. Do you like yours? (I'm assuming so). Now I just have to find the price on it.

barnum42

Wannabe Walt said:
I want an SLR mainly for the different lenses. However, this Fujifilm one that you linked to looks really good. Do you like yours? (I'm assuming so). Now I just have to find the price on it.
The actual camera I have is a Fuji S602 Zoom: Here's a review on it.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s602-review/

I bought it cheap, second hand and I really like it.

I won't kid you and say that it's as good as an SLR camera, but given the huge price difference and it's being a 3meg camera as opposed to the much higher meg of newer cameras it does the job my old SLR did.

If you look at the photos in my album - link is in my signature - most posted after September 2004 are taken with this camera. All the photos have been resized and the site tends to compress them a bit too, so they do not do the camera full justice.

It has full manual control or shutter / aperture priority and the single lens covers the same range I needed three lenses on my old camera. You can also mimic ASA ratings up to 1600ASA - though 800 & 1600ASA are on on 1 Meg. But I've been able to get some good shots of Lion King and Tarzan without using the flash.

You should be able to find similar cameras, and probably at a better price in America than we have to pay in the UK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom