Digital Cameras/Camcorders Thru Airport Screening

dzlandSr

Wasn't sure if the airport xray equipment would damage digital camera memory cards or Mini DV tapes? I was just going to leave all my camera equipment in my carryon bag I'm taking, but wasn't sure if this was the best way to do it. I just don't want my digital camera memory card damaged or even to lose any pictures that I will take (same goes for my digital camcorder tapes).

elle72688

I always have mine in my carry-on and I have never had any problems. They will ask you to take out your camcorder though and put that through the scanner seperatley (same with laptops.)

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

I don't think that Digital cameras would be affected by x-rays. The problem with conventional camera film is that the x-rays overexpose the pictures taken and ruin them. Digital pictures and videos are information stored on disks and so are less likely to get messed with in an x-ray machine. They only ask you to run them through separately so that they can get a more complete scan of the electronic devices (and so that they don't force you to open your bag in the first place because these things look "suspicious" when they're in your bag).

However, I would keep things with me in my carry-on, simply because a) the scanners for checked luggage are apparently more powerful, b) because the presence of those kinds of items may prompt a search of your luggage and c) more importantly, I wouldn't want to run the risk of losing my expensive cameras and priceless memories!!!!!

Anyone with a better knowledge of x-rays etc... feel free to correct me! It has been a while since my engineering degree!!! :)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I can tell you that I carried on my digital camera with the memory card inside of it and I had no problems!!!! I am not so sure about video camera tapes though. Let's see if I can hunt down one of our resident experts. As per PhotoDave, the tapes shouldnt have a problem unless you are traveling internationally!!! So the bottom line is pack these items in your carry on, go and have a great time!!! Belle

Upvote 0

dolbyman

can second (third or more) that ... all stuff I had with me (miniDV tapes) memory cards (SD,CF) and Laptop HDD were completly safe from any X-Ray damage... cause x-rays won't effect their electromagnetic stroage :wave:

Upvote 0

Nansafan

When I bought my digitial camera 2 years ago with the great help of people on this forum it was suggested to me to take the memory card out of the camera when it goes through the scanning machine. I have it in the same bag, just not in the camera. Eight different scannings and the camera, memory card and pics on the card were fine.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As said above, Digital Media isnt affected by airport scanners. Infact, I have never had any photographic media damaged by scanners, even 35mm film taking repeated trips through a scanner.

Also on this subject, MicroDrives are Mission Space safe LOL.

Upvote 0

Bluewaves

Digital cameras and camcorders don't have the same problems that regular film cameras have with xray equioment so no worries.

I've known many a person who has replaced their film camera with digital cameras in order to avoid problems at the airport.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Does this also affect the dvd video camcorders????.we just got a bought a sony handycam so we don't need to worry about the little tapes....last year we went through security and the xray machines thank god nothing was damaged by the machines..(my husband forgot to take film out of the bag)..maybe i just might have to update myself and get a digital camera too!!! uh technology...... :veryconfu

did i mention 22 more days....till my magical disneyworld fix!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

dzlandSr

Original Poster
Thank you all for your insight! :wave: I am looking forward to visiting WDW again as it has been a loooong 5 years since I have been there:(

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

lawyergirl77 said:
The problem with conventional camera film is that the x-rays overexpose the pictures taken and ruin them.
Anyone with a better knowledge of x-rays etc... feel free to correct me! It has been a while since my engineering degree!!! :)
There is a myth about Airport scanners & Xrays affecting 35mm film (used or unused) - it has no effect on the ordinary type of film that you or I would use on a trip to WDW (or antwhere else)
Professional quality and super fast ASA films can be harmed.
To be safe - always carry films in hand luggage and ask for it to be hand examined

Upvote 0

ELopez

I have absolutely no understanding of film, x-rays or the like, but I do fly a lot. We are told to put 35mm film as well as video camera tapes (we do not yet own digital of either) in our checked luggage, because they can be damaged when going through security. I cannot verify it, but that's what we are told. It is true that checked luggage is screened, but it is different (they are only looking for explosives as opposed to weapons or even drugs that they may be looking for in security). You may want to ask the ticket agent when you are checking your bags what would we best, then confirm that with security personnel (remembering not to joke because nothing is funny to them). I have also been told (and this does seem to be true) that depending on the terror threat level, they can adjust the metal detectors to be more (or less) sensitive.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom