Digital Camera/ No Laptop???

Hi! This may be a REALLY stupid question, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case there's something I don't know. :confused:

I have a digital camera, but no laptop to download my pictures on nightly while I'm in WDW. I was just wondering if I'll need to buy lots of memory cards for my trip or is there another option that I'm overlooking? Maybe a way to download to a CD at WDW or something?

Thank you for any advice you might have!!!​

RiversideBunny

The WDW photo places will make a CD for you but, IMHO, it's cheaper to go ahead and buy more memory for yourself and just download when you get home.

newegg.com has good prices on cards and also amazon.com, plus others.

Memory cards at WDW are expensive.

I had a 2GB memory card on a 7 mp camera and never filled it up during a week's stay at WDW.

:)

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
With the very low price now of memory cards, just get enough to cover your needs. WDW do have a download service to CDs, but cost wise, you will be better off with more cards.

Upvote 0

Philo

Buy cheap memory before you go. In the uk you can pick up 2Gb cards for about £8. Even the most enthusiastic picture taker would have trouble getting through a couple of them.

Remember the photopass service too!

Upvote 0

santa's surpriz

I brought a 1gb memory card and 512 as back up for a week. I was able to store some 600+ pics plus a couple videos before needing to use my back up...I only used my back up card for 10 pics or so.

Upvote 0

Tinkrbell

I normally use a 512 card as my main card for pictures & then a 128 or 256 (I cant remember which) as back up & for video of the parade, fireworks, etc. Thats for a 3 day trip & I usually only use the back up card for the video & still have room on the 512. Im planning on buying a 2gb so I dont have to switch cards when Im there in August, even though I'll have my computer with me.

Upvote 0

Elonwy

You should be fine as long as you have a spare memory card with you...just remember to "lock" or "save" you photos so you don't accidentally delete any.

My friend made the mistake of showing a picture on the screen of her camera to her friend and when her friend grabbed the camera she accidentally hit delete...a warning popped up and asked if she wanted to "delete all" she panicked and pressed delete again hoping to get out of the screen and ended up erasing 5 days worth of photos (about 100 pics...which may not be many for some but it was all they had):cry:

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

You should be fine as long as you have a spare memory card with you...just remember to "lock" or "save" you photos so you don't accidentally delete any.

My friend made the mistake of showing a picture on the screen of her camera to her friend and when her friend grabbed the camera she accidentally hit delete...a warning popped up and asked if she wanted to "delete all" she panicked and pressed delete again hoping to get out of the screen and ended up erasing 5 days worth of photos (about 100 pics...which may not be many for some but it was all they had):cry:[/quote

Thats absoultley heartbreaking!

Upvote 0

fosse76

My friend made the mistake of showing a picture on the screen of her camera to her friend and when her friend grabbed the camera she accidentally hit delete...a warning popped up and asked if she wanted to "delete all" she panicked and pressed delete again hoping to get out of the screen and ended up erasing 5 days worth of photos (about 100 pics...which may not be many for some but it was all they had):cry:[/quote

That almost happened to me. I had taken over 500 pictures at that point and when I turned on my camera it gave me an error message and asked me to format my memory card. Thankfully when I turned it off and then back on again, everything was fine. It was the last day we were at Disney and I wouldn't have been able to re-take some of the pictures.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
You can go offsite and get cheaper card->CD conversion (say at walmart, etc) but that would take serious time away from your vacation. It's cheaper and easier just to buy more memory cards. A 2gig card or more will hold crazy amount of photos

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

A 2gig card or more will hold crazy amount of photos
I know you mean well, but that statement is a little open ended. It's best for each person to check the capacity based on their camera. For my 10MP camera, a 2Gb card only holds about 350 - 400 pictures. I took about 800 on our last trip of 10 days. Granted, I could have deleted some, but I'd rather do that later after they are safely downloaded to a computer. ;)

Here's a link with a nice table of average pictures for camera / memory card sizes.
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13067/edOid/105545/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do#Capacities

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

Depending on how many mega pixels your camera has will change the amount of photos you can put on a card. I have a 8 mega pixel camera and took a 2GB card with me. I had plenty of room left when I got back. If it makes you feel better take two cards with you, just to give you that easy feeling. But you should be fine with a 2GB card.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

In 06', we were at capacity and went to the photo shop in MGM (every park has a place to do that) and it cost about $15 for the pics on a CD. Last year, we took 2 memory cards and that was fine.

Upvote 0

Philo

For a little ray of hope you can sometimes recover these deleted files (but not always). Effectivly the space the photos were using is maked as being free to overwrite with new pictures. If you remove the memory card immediatly then, when you can get to a computer with an SD / XD / CF memory card reader you can download a free utility which will try and read everything on the card dispite it being marked as free space.

I think I have used this tool before although it was a while ago so I can't be sure

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/smartrecovery.html

BIG WARNING: I've not downloaded this software. It might contain viruses etc so scan and be cautious. Also remember that you cant always recover files, it depends a little on how your camera works

Upvote 0

Audrey9505

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses! I'll get a 2BG card, and take my other smaller ones as back up. It's my 3yr DD first trip, so I know I'll be taking tons!

And that story about losing a week of pictures is just awful- my worst nightmare!!

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

karl46

Like someone previously said, if you can get to a Walmart it is quite cheap to have photos put on disk. Last time i went i took about 900 photos so was glad to have them on disk.

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
Another kind of creative option if you have a newer iPod is the iPod camera connector.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9861G/C?fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/extras&mco=Njg5NTAw

It allows you to connect your camera to the iPod and copy all the photos onto the iPod where you likely have a lot more storage. You can view them on the iPod to confirm that they have been successfully copied and then clear the card for the next day. When you get home, you just move them to the computer and you're ready to go.

It can be a little slow and really eat the battery life on the iPod but if you do it each night back at the room it shouldn't be a big deal.

It doesn't work with every iPod model but for $29.00 it's another possible option.

Upvote 0

MickeyspalJim

I use a 6gb card in My camera, and still feel safer uploading My pics. into My laptop. I just had a fear from day one that something would cause Me to lose the photos and would rather lose 1 days worth of photos instead of My whole trip. I even have a second 6gb. card and still upload the pics. every night I get back to the room, so If there is some way of taking your pics. off, I would do it. I take 100's of photos and I too wait till I get home to do the deleting of bad ones, but if You can get more memory cards for a low price, that may be a good bet. Good luck and have fun with your photo taking!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom