Digital Camera for Kids

santa's surpriz

Original Poster
I am not sure if this is the right place to start a thread, but I figure it is a start. I am looking to purchase a camera for my daughter who will be 5 in November (her b-day gift.) We are going to Disney in December. I love for her to do her own scrapbook (she is already into that!) I thought it would be great for her to make one each trip to Disney we take.

She already uses mine, but I hold my breathe very time. I was looking at the "kid tough" by Fisherprice. I am concerned that is only a 1.3 mp and says it is good for 4x6 prints. Reviews overall all positive, but I am still leary. Should I be very concerned about that? I trust that she would not break one, but I do not want to spend more $50-60. Has any one tried the fisherprice kid camera and have you been satisfied? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!

tigsmom

I am not sure if this is the right place to start a thread, but I figure it is a start. I am looking to purchase a camera for my daughter who will be 5 in November (her b-day gift.) We are going to Disney in December. I love for her to do her own scrapbook (she is already into that!) I thought it would be great for her to make one each trip to Disney we take.

She already uses mine, but I hold my breathe very time. I was looking at the "kid tough" by Fisherprice. I am concerned that is only a 1.3 mp and says it is good for 4x6 prints. Reviews overall all positive, but I am still leary. Should I be very concerned about that? I trust that she would not break one, but I do not want to spend more $50-60. Has any one tried the fisherprice kid camera and have you been satisfied? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!

My kids have their own digital cameras, but they are 19 and 13. I'm not sure I would give a 5 y/o a digital camera, but thats just me. :shrug:
Another option would be some disposable cameras, you can even get digital option ones. My kids always used them (as did I) and you can get some great photos. The downside is that you have to pay for film development, but I think its still cheaper than a digital and having prints made or making your own.

If you don't go with the FisherPrice then I would try for the least expensive one I could find, just in case. Best of luck and hope you have a great trip. :wave:

santa's surpriz

Original Poster
Thanks! I would normally not give a five y/o one either, but...a cheapy is much better than using mine! I am just torn on what to do. By the time I spend money on disposable cameras for her trip I might as well fork over the $59 for the fisherprice.

shello1113

My daughter is 7 now but has been taking pictures for a few years. Last year for Christmas, I got her a Kidz Cam, (something like that) It is purple, digital, comes with a computer hook up and a picture program. Do not get that one, it takes horrible pictures.:mad: I wish I would have gone for the Fisher Price one but the Kidz Cam was only $20, you get what you pay for I guess.
So, what I think I would do, I would buy a real digital camera, you can catch a sale and still only spend $50 and get one with more mega pixels.
It's a great idea, go for it!

scorp111

My daughter is 4 and has the Fisher Price Camera. In well lit conditions, the pictures are ok. We actually haven't printed any yet. The flash is very weak, so anything less than daylight is tough. She also has learned to hold still, as the shutter speed is quite slow.

Overall, we are OK with it for now, and might get her something as an upgrade within a year or two.

(We are a bit of a photography family as I have the Rebel Xti, and my wife also usually carries her A640)

maggiegrace1

The fisher price camera pictures do not print well at all..I would see about getting either the disposable digital one or if you do not mind spending money on a cheaper digital you can get a decent one for around $50 and it will print better then the FP one...

Good Luck!

santa's surpriz

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies and advice on the fisherprice model. I have until December to make up mind and shop deals. If I found enough clearances on disposables or sales on a cheapy, she will be satisfied. I just want to keep her away from mine. She is good with it but, kids need their own gadgets sometimes.

mayrag

My sister bought my then 6y old DD, a digital camera/video for children. It takes great pictures for them, and also video.
Let me check the manufacturer and I'll post later.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My daughter is 7 now but has been taking pictures for a few years. Last year for Christmas, I got her a Kidz Cam, (something like that) It is purple, digital, comes with a computer hook up and a picture program. Do not get that one, it takes horrible pictures.:mad: I wish I would have gone for the Fisher Price one but the Kidz Cam was only $20, you get what you pay for I guess.
So, what I think I would do, I would buy a real digital camera, you can catch a sale and still only spend $50 and get one with more mega pixels.
It's a great idea, go for it!
This is absolutely the best piece of advice you could have received. Never ever,ever,ever but one of those "kids" cameras as they are absolute garbage. The pictures they take are worse quality than a cell phone camera. The one I had the displeasure of buying for my 5 year old daughter had no screen and took me a good hour to get the software they provided to actually work. You can get normal digital camera for as low as $20 on Newegg.com.

mouselvrmom

This is absolutely the best piece of advice you could have received. Never ever,ever,ever but one of those "kids" cameras as they are absolute garbage. The pictures they take are worse quality than a cell phone camera. The one I had the displeasure of buying for my 5 year old daughter had no screen and took me a good hour to get the software they provided to actually work. You can get normal digital camera for as low as $20 on Newegg.com.

I'm with you! I bought my 6 year old one of those disney kid pix or something or other. It takes horrendous pictures! My oldest has a regular 3 mp camera that is not that much better, but more worth the money. I'd say spring for a less expensive point and shoot. That way your child may actually take a picture that is worth printing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom