Different Ways to Save for Disney Trip

Amyleigh

What are some of the ways you are saving for a Disney trip? I would love to hear how others are saving besides the regular piggy bank and savings account ideas. I just starting using Walmart's savings catcher. I know you don't get cash back but it's an e gift card that can be used to buy things for the trip. I also signed up for Disney Movie Rewards. 1100 points gets you a $10 Disney gift card!

stevehousse

http://www.fourseasons.com/orlando/

I would highly suggest checking out the website. This is the new Disney Four Seasons that just opened and looks amazing! And well worthy the price of an actual deluxe hotel...

But aside from that I understand where you are coming from and everyone's situation on what is a value to them is gonna be different! But definitely check that out if u want experience a real and true deluxe...

Upvote 0

stevehousse

If you are getting enough back in taxes to pay for a Disney vacation, you are having too much withheld during the year.

You will save up more for your vacation if you don't give Uncle Sam free use of your money during the year, and instead more accurately calculate your withholdings and thus set aside more of your take-home pay in a vacation savings account.
The amount of money I get back for having kids alone is enough to pay for the trip. My taxes withheld are accurate...

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The amount of money I get back for having kids alone is enough to pay for the trip. My taxes withheld are accurate...
You are not required to withhold any more than your tax liability. If you get back a refund at the end of the year, you have withheld more than was required, and have, in essence, given the government an interest-free loan. If you would prefer not to do this, adjust your withholding. You can designate withholding in any amount, and your employer must honor it. Of course, if you withhold too little, you are responsible for the penalties.

Upvote 0

Amyleigh

Original Poster
I'm a teacher so I would have to go in the summer and from what I have seen, there aren't any discounts during the summer. I'm planning a girls vacation with my daughter right before she turns 10 (and would have to pay adult prices!). That's summer of 2017 so we have lots of time to save. I just want the saving to be as painless as possible since we must also save to visit my brother who lives across the country. Many vacations to take, not enough money to take them. :)
We would do lots of character dining so the dining plan would make sense for us. We did the dining plan in June when we went as a family and saved a lot of money. We did a character meal each day plus dinner at Ohana the night we arrived. A value resort would be fine for just my daughter and me. We don't need a lot of room. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

Do u guys have kids at all? I have 3 so I get a total of $3,000 alone just for claiming them as dependents, they essentially pay for our week long wdw trips! LOL

But my withheld stuff from my job is accurate, and they don't take too much or too little...

Upvote 0

stevehousse

I have two daughters, both now in college, so we get LOTs of tax credits & deductions - much more than the $1000 (used to be more than that...) deduction we would receive when they were under 18. That's why the W4 form has a worksheet where you list your dependents, along with anticipated deductions, if you itemize. If I used the default of just two exemptions/withholding allowances (self and spouse), instead of the 11 I currently have (11 is the number from the worksheet, based on itemized deductions and estimated credits and deductions for the next year), I would have way too much withheld. BTW, don't assume that the number of exemptions/allowances you claim for Federal should be the same for State.

Let me close by saying that unless you have too little withheld and are thus required to pay the underpayment penalty, there is no wrong amount to have withheld. I know several friends who use a higher withholding somewhat like a forced savings account, so that they get a higher refund. That's a personal choice, and my choice is to get more money in my paycheck each month and set aside what I want for vacations, etc. That way I know exactly how much I have to spend or save, instead of waiting until I file my taxes to see what I get back.

Wow... I can't believe I made it this far without recommending my favorite tax software or sharing my political position on taxes ;-) I guess those are for another forum - definitely not for Disney, right MOM?
Yes I remember when it was more too! Either way I am satisfied with my paychecks and tax returns as the are. :)

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We "save" on our WDW trips by letting extra money build up in our savings account -- essentially, cutting out "extras" like a landline phone (or expensive cell phones), expensive meals "out," and unnecessary purchases for our home. Until we get an extra $3,000 or so built up in the account, we don't even think about booking, and once we book, we like to pay off the whole vacation immediately (and cover that investment with some inexpensive, cancel-for-any-reason trip insurance, just in case)!

Most important to affording WDW for my family is to reduce the trip cost in the first place. We do this by:
- We visit WDW during seasons that are low-priced to begin with, AND which tend to offer discounts, even though it means taking the kids out of school. This alone can shave over $1,000 off of the cost of a one-week vacation, particularly since visiting during a popular time of year inflates the cost of the room AND the airfare.
- We like to stay on property and avoid having to rent a car, but we only stay at a moderate resort and room category that has a room discount available (we'd be open to a value, even though squeezing my tall DH into a double bed would be tough, if there were no moderates with a discount), OR if there's a compelling reason to stay somewhere more cushy, we stay in a DVC room on rented points (which typically costs at least 40% less than the rack rate).
- We use an airline rewards credit card for everything (and pay it off in full every month), which saves us at least $600 off of our airfare every two years. (We're moving to a WDW-every-4-years schedule, so now it will be more like $1,200 in savings when we travel -- in other words, all four of us will fly roundtrip from upstate NY to Orlando for free).
- We bring our own breakfast and snack foods with us, and avoid the dining plan (which doesn't "fit" with the way we typically eat and actually costs us more, while limiting our TS restaurant choices) -- unless the dining plan is "free" at the time of our visit, of course.
- We set up a modest souvenir spending limit ahead of time (e.g., $25 per person), and stick to it.
- We try to avoid the temptation to indulge in pricy add-ons like extra events, parties, tours, etc. There are more attractions and events available on a standard park ticket than we can ever accomplish in a week, anyway.
- We try to avoid an unnecessary additional night's hotel stay, and maximize our ability to use our park tickets, by scheduling flights that have us arriving in the morning on our first day, and leaving in the late afternoon or evening on our last.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Do u guys have kids at all? I have 3 so I get a total of $3,000 alone just for claiming them as dependents, they essentially pay for our week long wdw trips! LOL

But my withheld stuff from my job is accurate, and they don't take too much or too little...
Yes, I have kids at all. And I'm an accountant who knows the tax laws. If you get a refund, you have withheld more than you needed to. If you don't get a refund, you haven't withheld more than you needed to. Each kid gets you a deduction, which you are free to reflect the anticipation of in your withholdings. If you aren't doing that, and are therefore getting a refund, you are giving the government an interest-free loan. You may be fine with that -- many people are -- but it's still something you don't need to do to be "accurate".

@dmw has said it well.

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I use a lot of the strategies already listed: upromise, ebates, disney visa, target redcard for disney giftcards, separate vacation account, snacks water coffee in the room, credit card promos. Also, I never pay with coins, only dollars. Change then goes into the vacation fund jar. It all adds up.

Upvote 0

Alexis

I did the movie rewards too to try and get the $10 giftcard! I'm trying to save as well. As for me, I guess I'm just saving holiday & birthday money.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

If we get enough back in tax returns, and my yearly company bonus and enough is left over after getting things we may need, or paying off something, then we visit a travel agent and book it. If not then we compromise and find a place like busch gardens and save a bit in a disney fund as well.

Upvote 0

ScarletBegonias

We do it old fashioned.. allot for it in our monthly budget and save the cash in an envelope. We really should open a savings account for it (and probably will) but unless you have a certain amount of money (a good hunk) they penalize you and deduct money each month.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

I have never, ever heard of a savings account where the minimum balance was more than $100 or so. And then they charge a fee, they don't just deduct money.

I keep all my Disney savings in a savings account, and my minimum balance is $25, the fee is $5 per month if under that.

Really? My savings account has a minimum balance of $300 (major, well known bank) and in the past I had one as high as $600 (a different well known bank, that has since been eaten by another of its kind). There's no fee on it, though, unless I drop below the minimum.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Really? My savings account has a minimum balance of $300 (major, well known bank) and in the past I had one as high as $600 (a different well known bank, that has since been eaten by another of its kind). There's no fee on it, though, unless I drop below the minimum.

look for a local credit union. most credit unions have really low 'minimums'; mine is $5 for a savings account. even if they don't have a really convenient location, you can do so much of your banking online now. and with direct deposit, you can often choose more than one bank account to deposit money to, so you could have a certain amount automatically deposited to your savings each pay period without having to GO to a bank.

Upvote 0

KLeigh

We always fly Southwest, so I enrolled in their Rapid Rewards (RR) program last year before our trip. I'm working towards a free flight for my next trip to WDW by taking advantage of the following:

RR Dining Partners - signed my debit and credit card up with this program, so every time I fine at a participating restaurant I get 3 miles/dollar spent. 10 additional free miles are given for completing restaurant reviews.

RR Shopping Partners: I visit the shopping partners site before making an online purchase at select stores. Southwest gets my transaction total and I earn 1-3 points/dollar spent depending on the store. (Target participates, and I use my red card to get the extra 5% off.)

Online Surveys: Two online survey sites participate with RR, and this is where I've earned the majority of my miles.
E-rewards.com and ValuedOpinions.com are both great, you can redeem your reward currency for miles and they are automatically deposit into your RR account.

By taking these extra steps I've earned over 8,000 miles in 6 months. (Vast majority being from the survey sites.) I'm already 48% of the way to earning a free round trip flight to MCO. (Their flight tracker is a great way to see my progress.)

If we go before I fully earn the free flight, it will be cheaper for me to buy the remaining points than to pay for the full flight.

Saving the $200-300 cost of flying will allow me to use those funds elsewhere for the vacation - possibly to add another day of magic into the trip!

Thanks for sharing all of your ideas, this is giving me a lot of great ideas!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

look for a local credit union. most credit unions have really low 'minimums'; mine is $5 for a savings account. even if they don't have a really convenient location, you can do so much of your banking online now. and with direct deposit, you can often choose more than one bank account to deposit money to, so you could have a certain amount automatically deposited to your savings each pay period without having to GO to a bank.

The minimum isn't a problem at the moment, but if it ever becomes one I'd definitely look into a credit union. I think mobile banking is just about the best thing ever - I'm miles and miles from ANY bank (living in the country has its downsides!) and being able to deposit checks without actually going there is delightful.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

The minimum isn't a problem at the moment, but if it ever becomes one I'd definitely look into a credit union. I think mobile banking is just about the best thing ever - I'm miles and miles from ANY bank (living in the country has its downsides!) and being able to deposit checks without actually going there is delightful.

my small, local credit union has an excellent app - i can deposit checks, transfer money, all types of stuff. (also i just hate the idea of giving more of my money to some of those big corporations - my local credit union does so much in the community so i feel better about it all.)

Upvote 0

KLeigh

my small, local credit union has an excellent app - i can deposit checks, transfer money, all types of stuff. (also i just hate the idea of giving more of my money to some of those big corporations - my local credit union does so much in the community so i feel better about it all.)

I love my local credit union too, and they're quickly becoming one of the biggest credit unions in the state. They have an amazing app with everything the big banks have, and their rewards credit card is the best I've found. No annual fee, 3% cash back on gas, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. When I'm ready to redeem my rewards cash I just call into Card Services, speak to a real person, and the cash is deposited into my account within seconds. I always bank my rewards cash and redeem it right before we leave to WDW to use as my spending money.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Throughout the years my kids were growing up this is what we did too. Our tax refund was our Disney vacation fund. We'd go down in the fall and stay two weeks or so. We did this for almost 15 years and only stopped the practice when they hit high school when it became difficult to pull them out of school for a few weeks. It was a forced savings for us. My accountant blah blah blah'd at me every year that we overpaid but frankly interest wasn't all that grand so it didn't amount to much. April 15th for us was never a sad day around our house, it was generally the day we actually sat down traditionally and planned our Disney Fall Vacations. Some years we had more than enough to buy APs and a second short trip. My kids are 20 somethings now but I would not change what worked for us.

Upvote 0

EPSmyth

Our vacation fund method is very simple but has worked out well so far. Both my wife and myself set aside X amount of money from each paycheck. We started out with just $10, but we're currently doing $60 a week. We realized that if we kept increasing the amount we put into savings, we would more easily limit our spending because we would instantly cut down the money we had access to. This lead to more frugal food shopping and things of that nature, because we only had so much cash available. I also took any extra money I made from working overtime, and set that aside as well, before I was tempted to use it for anything else.

Then of course there is the piggy bank method. Any time you have change or dollar bills, put them aside. We've been doing that, and making an event out of counting and depositing the money when the Disney withdraw gets too bad.

A friend of mine also has a method some here might be inclined to try. He has a credit card that is ONLY for vacations. He books his trip and does everything with that card, then just doesn't take another vacation until it's paid off. Not the most cost effective way to do things, but it works for him.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom