Differences between Disneyland and Hollywood Studios' versions of Galaxy's Edge

Stripes

Original Poster
The differences between the two coasts are shocking. It's almost as if Disneyland was the practice canvas, and then WDI realized all their mistakes and made all the changes and adjustments they wanted to make to ensure DHS had the clearly superior looking Star Wars Land.
Actually, I’ve noted that the DHS color scheme is much more in line with the original model that debuted at D23 2017. Here’s a few key pics from the model with the key differences circled in blue. All of them are in line with DHS, as opposed to Disneyland.

Bottom half is white (DHS) as opposed to orange-brown (Disneyland).

Blue arches (DHS) as opposed to white (Disneyland). White vents (DHS) as opposed to black (Disneyland).

Blue cylinder (DHS) as opposed to orange (Disneyland). Also the building‘s color looks closer to DHS.

Maroon decals (DHS) as opposed to light blue (Disneyland).

The building below is gray (DHS) as opposed to orange (Disneyland).

Last edited:

rct247

My guess with paint is the surrounding lands. At Disneyland, you have Critter Country & Frontierland. Galaxy's Edge there draws from the desert feel of Big Thunder Mountain and the heavily wooded and browns/reds of Critter Country. At Hollywood Studios, you have the brightly painted street facade of Grand Avenue with the colorful Muppets on one end and on the other, you exit a forest into a brightly colored shadeless backyard full of toys with lots of bold primary colors. If DHS was more beige, the transition would be even more jarring and make it look even more drab.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
My guess with paint is the surrounding lands. At Disneyland, you have Critter Country & Frontierland. Galaxy's Edge there draws from the desert feel of Big Thunder Mountain and the heavily wooded and browns/reds of Critter Country. At Hollywood Studios, you have the brightly painted street facade of Grand Avenue with the colorful Muppets on one end and on the other, you exit a forest into a brightly colored shadeless backyard full of toys with lots of bold primary colors. If DHS was more beige, the transition would be even more jarring and make it look even more drab.

This is what I want to believe, aside from some arbitrary choices. My only thing is that SW:GE in DL transitions so well, that by the time you reach RotR, you almost forget you’re in DL; so I’m not totally sold on them *needing* to palette match any adjacent land.

TP2000

This is what I want to believe, aside from some arbitrary choices. My only thing is that SW:GE in DL transitions so well, that by the time you reach RotR, you almost forget you’re in DL; so I’m not totally sold on them *needing* to palette match any adjacent land.

The walk from the Canoe dock in Critter Country, down along the Rivers of America and under the railroad trestle and then up the pathway to the Resistance area forest is much longer than the DHS version. Whereas at DHS it's apparently just a short tunnel from MuppetLand to Star Wars Land, where you can even see the end of the tunnel from Grand Avenue.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The walk from the Canoe dock in Critter Country, down along the Rivers of America and under the railroad trestle and then up the pathway to the Resistance area forest is much longer than the DHS version. Whereas at DHS it's apparently just a short tunnel from MuppetLand to Star Wars Land, where you can even see the end of the tunnel from Grand Avenue.

Thanks for pointing that out. SW:GE @ DL could’ve gotten away with bolder complimentary colors on some of the buildings past the Resistance area, I’m thinking.

TP2000

Thanks for pointing that out. SW:GE @ DL could’ve gotten away with bolder complimentary colors on some of the buildings past the Resistance area, I’m thinking.

Just so that I may sleep at night, may I also point out that Los Angeles has never had "subway tiles" anywhere? The first subway in LA didn't arrive until the 1990's, and it has a typically bland contemporary look without the glazed subway tiles or charm of yore.

5cbf703fb14bf426f155b372-750-563.jpg

Not sure where WDI got the "subway tiles" from applied to the Grand Avenue tunnel, as if LA is Boston circa 1920? :oops:

The_Jobu

Just so that I may sleep at night, may I also point out that Los Angeles has never had "subway tiles" anywhere? The first subway in LA didn't arrive until the 1990's, and it has a typically bland contemporary look without the glazed subway tiles or charm of yore.

Not sure where WDI got the "subway tiles" from applied to the Grand Avenue tunnel, as if LA is Boston circa 1920? :oops:

Now that's a jazzy train station.

Stripes

Original Poster

The Grand Avenue Tunnel is based on one of the Figueroa Street Tunnels in LA. Seen here:

As you can see, the tunnel has subway-style tile. :)

Have a look on Google Street View!

Darth Snips

Lots of photos and video coming in from the first day of Cast Previews. Looks like there's quite a few small changes:

Looks like the Floridian Loth-Cat gets to sleep with a Porg plush!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this droid or this speeder are present in California's version.

There's a lot fun details to look through!

TP2000

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this droid or this speeder are present in California's version.
View attachment 395271

There's a lot fun details to look through!

That droid and speeder bike are present in this area at Disneyland. But at Disneyland the multi-arm droid is positioned further back behind the column, where at DHS he has been moved out front of the column. The tall tool chest is along the back wall at Disneyland, but has beem moved out front at DHS. Interesting how there are minor differences like this!

star-wars-galaxys-edge-speeder.jpg

Also, the trash cans look like droids on both coasts. Maybe Mr. Chapek got confused and he thinks the trash cans are supposed to be the interactive droids that everyone is still waiting for?

gerarar

Premium Member
DHS has hanging wires connecting the lights directing at the millennium falcon, which then leads to a power source in the far rigt.
Very cool small detail that's not present in DL. Also the lights are soft white, which makes them stand out.

The presence of more bright green moss/shrubs is also seen here in DHS vs DL.

Mickeyboof

That droid and speeder bike are present in this area at Disneyland. But at Disneyland the multi-arm droid is positioned further back behind the column, where at DHS he has been moved out front of the column. The tall tool chest is along the back wall at Disneyland, but has beem moved out front at DHS. Interesting how there are minor differences like this!

Also, the trash cans look like droids on both coasts. Maybe Mr. Chapek got confused and he thinks the trash cans are supposed to be the interactive droids that everyone is still waiting for?

The trash cans are the most interactive park of the immersive™ experience.

Luckily for both coasts, both droids are completely dead.

Disney Analyst

Posted in other threads, but this article really showcases differences well.

N2dru

Exactly... people fail to realize the difference in Sun strength/humidity/weather in Florida versus California. That plays a big part in how painted buildings look and last in the Floridian climate. Disney using deeper and darker colors in DHS clearly is about the local weather patterns.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom