Did Walt really create Mickey?

mitchk

Original Poster
Look.... I'm sorry to anyone I offended with this thread. I know it's Mickeys birthday today, and I love Walt, I love Disney World, I'll be there in 20 some days, the point being, please read the title of my thread. After you read the title, answer me this question. Did Walt Disney create Mickey Mouse? The answer is no. I hate arguing with people and like I said I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone. :(

mitchk

Original Poster
Well, you might have written it, but, this forum and it's founders and managers actually run it enabling others to see the nonsense that you are trying to pass off as logic. So, I guess it could be said that Steve and his crew actually created your post. To bad, wasn't of your doing. Oh, and please.. have a magical day and bless your heart.

Man, calm down ...

mitchk

Original Poster
Well, you might have written it, but, this forum and it's founders and managers actually run it enabling others to see the nonsense that you are trying to pass off as logic. So, I guess it could be said that Steve and his crew actually created your post. To bad, wasn't of your doing. Oh, and please.. have a magical day and bless your heart.

Who created Mickey Mouse? Who? That's all I was asking ...

Goofyernmost

Who created Mickey Mouse? Who? That's all I was asking ...
OK, then why are you asking. The concept came from Walt Disney the drawing could have been anybody that was following the direction of Walt Disney. If you are going to get all boggled down in who physically drew the character on paper and make that be when it was created fine. It's incorrect, but, physically if you stretch definitions that is when it was created and cleaned up for publication. However, in the absolute sense of the word "Created", the idea came well before the drawing. Ub did not pull the concept out of thin air.

I'm out of this discussion because I get the feeling I am talking to someone that is trying to prove a point that no one can even find a reason to care about. Move on please. Do you get a prize of some sort if you can prove that Walt had nothing to do with it? Won't happen by the way!

Remember in the early years, Walt took credit for everything that came out of his studio. Many believed that he did it all himself. He never gave credit, he took credit for it all. That changed later on, but, this particular topic is just plain foolishness. It has been documented and confirmed by Walt's wife how and when this all happened and truthfully it doesn't matter. Ub was on Walt's payroll. He was not bankrolling the ideas, Walt was. Without Walt's pushing for better and better, Ub would be the sound you make when you burp, not the name that we all recognize that follow the Disney legion.

mitchk

Original Poster
:):)
OK, then why are you asking. The concept came from Walt Disney the drawing could have been anybody that was following the direction of Walt Disney. If you are going to get all boggled down in who physically drew the character on paper and make that be when it was created fine. It's incorrect, but, physically if you stretch definitions that is when it was created and cleaned up for publication. However, in the absolute sense of the word "Created", the idea came well before the drawing. Ub did not pull the concept out of thin air.

I'm out of this discussion because I get the feeling I am talking to someone that is trying to prove a point that no one can even find a reason to care about. Move on please. Do you get a prize of some sort if you can prove that Walt had nothing to do with it? Won't happen by the way!

Remember in the early years, Walt took credit for everything that came out of his studio. Many believed that he did it all himself. He never gave credit, he took credit for it all. That changed later on, but, this particular topic is just plain foolishness. It has been documented and confirmed by Walt's wife how and when this all happened and truthfully it doesn't matter. Ub was on Walt's payroll. He was not bankrolling the ideas, Walt was. Without Walt's pushing for better and better, Ub would be the sound you make when you burp, not the name that we all recognize that follow the Disney legion.

Ok fair enough, I wasn't saying Walt couldn't draw him. Please watch a little of the video Phil12 posted, because that's all I was saying. I'm sorry, and thank you for your time...take care :)

njDizFan

In todays world Walt's studio was like an entrepreneurial incubator. He created the space, sought out the investors, refined the ideas, processes and infrastructures and let the creatives do their thing.

I think the Jobs comparison is apt, he may not have been lead on any design or program but knew what the end result could do and look like and enabled his team to complete his vision.

mitchk

Original Poster
In todays world Walt's studio was like an entrepreneurial incubator. He created the space, sought out the investors, refined the ideas, processes and infrastructures and let the creatives do their thing.

I think the Jobs comparison is apt, he may not have been lead on any design or program but knew what the end result could do and look like and enabled his team to complete his vision.

I hear ya... and I understand all that, but I had never heard that someone else created, or helped create Mickey. I thought Walt drew him on a train ride, and the rest was history. I had never heard of Ub before. I know Walt didn't create Chip n Dale, I know he didn't create Goofy. I just always thought it was him alone who created the character that built the Disney Company.

donaldtoo

I haven't read the whole thread, and this has probably already been covered, but, I have this book...

image.jpeg

I kinda' always just figured this was pretty common knowledge to anyone who even knew just the basics of early Disney history.

mitchk

Original Poster
Yo! Steve ... I already asked you to delete this thread. I have said everything on the subject.... people love to argue and I don't have the time or patience for this nonsense

Pixieish

Discretion should be applied when using Wikipedia as a source. Some of what is posted there is accurate but would never use them without collaboration from more reliable sources.

The same is true for any "public-sourced" information and the internet in general. Wikipedia is especially guilty of allowing content to be edited by anyone, regardless of the availability of backup links, and they simply lack the staff and/or resources to go through and check new additions/edits.

Sonic Sunglasses

Yo! Steve ... I already asked you to delete this thread. I have said everything on the subject.... people love to argue and I don't have the time or patience for this nonsense
Yet you are the one who initiated all this nonsense. While it might be embarrassing for your trotting out of long-debunked conspiracy theories only to get them debunked yet again, demanding that it be swept under the rug speaks volumes to the disingenuous nature of your motives. The circumstances surrounding the creation of Mickey Mouse are well documented, warts and all. No amount of tinfoil in the shape of any hat will change it.

mitchk

Original Poster
Yet you are the one who initiated all this nonsense. While it might be embarrassing for your trotting out of long-debunked conspiracy theories only to get them debunked yet again, demanding that it be swept under the rug speaks volumes to the disingenuous nature of your motives. The circumstances surrounding the creation of Mickey Mouse are well documented, warts and all. No amount of tinfoil in the shape of any hat will change it.

Sorry like I said it was something I never heard before... I'm sorry but I work, unlike a lot of you on here, I don't have time to argue with people. 50 something and nothing better to do than argue on a disney forum :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom