Did Walt really create Mickey?

mitchk

Original Poster
i guess
Well...if you work for the man, then yes. Disney owned the company, came up with the original Mickey Mouse drawing and then told his staff, Iwerks included, to refine it and make it something that would sell tickets. He did just that. The other side of your question is, "Would we know about or care about Iwerks if it hadn't been for Walt?" Based on his critical and commercial failure running his own studio, I would think the answer would be obvious. Walt was able to succeed with other people in his staff, but Iwerks wasn't able to succeed without Walt driving the vision.

Would the things you listed....Multiplane camera, AAs, etc...exist in the form they are without Walt driving those engineers to develop them?
you miss my point... I love Walt, but to say he was a Genius with all the ideas he came up with, and other people made them happen, goes back to your Jobs statement. Maybe you said that to cover your self, but come on.... I want a bathtub that rolls over to me when I'm ready for a bath.... I said it, now if you invent ti, it's still my brilliant product. I understand if you worked for me then yes it would be credited to me... I'm sorry I'm a real artist, and I don't really resespet people who have quote. Unquote ghostwrites for them. If you didn't fully create it. Don't take full credit.. example Steve Jobs.....

Cmdr_Crimson

While there is a few pics of Walt Drawing Mickey.....Has there Ever been ANY Footage or pics of him drawing Goofy & Donald? I've been wondering about this...
Mikey_Mouse_History_It_all_started_with_a_mouse.gif

Bender123

i guess

you miss my point... I love Walt, but to say he was a Genius with all the ideas he came up with, and other people made them happen, goes back to your Jobs statement. Maybe you said that to cover your self, but come on.... I want a bathtub that rolls over to me when I'm ready for a bath.... I said it, now if you invent ti, it's still my brilliant product. I understand if you worked for me then yes it would be credited to me... I'm sorry I'm a real artist, and I don't really resespet people who have quote. Unquote ghostwrites for them. If you didn't fully create it. Don't take full credit.. example Steve Jobs.....

Well...If you owned, lets say Kohler Kitchen and Bathroom Designs Co and I was a designer for your company, then yes...yes, you would own the idea and the design for a roller tub.

If you just say it out on the internet and somebody else creates it and patents it, then they will own it and get credit for it. I don't miss your point, but you seem to miss how patents and corporations work vs independent invention and theft of ideas.

mitchk

Original Poster
Well...If you owned, lets say Kohler Kitchen and Bathroom Designs Co and I was a designer for your company, then yes...yes, you would own the idea and the design for a roller tub.

If you just say it out on the internet and somebody else creates it and patents it, then they will own it and get credit for it. I don't miss your point, but you seem to miss how patents and corporations work vs independent invention and theft of ideas.

I understand how they work.... all I was saying is that the Mickey that Walt drew on the train, was not the famous one we got. That's all, I'll say it again, I love Walt, but this type of stuff make me wonder how much of a genius he really was... I mean think about it, did he really come up with the concept of a theme park, like he was kinnda credited to doing? No... he stole it from another park he saw across seas. Now, is he the creator of the first family theme park? I don't know? All I'm trying to say is we praise Walt as a genius, and he was in his own right, but I must go back to my ghostwriting statement. Would Eminem be the best if he didn't write his own rhymes? What if he just told a song writer what he wanted the song to be about, then that songwriter had to work for days and days, to make a song for Eminem to perform, and then Eminem is The Rap God.... would he really be? I'm truly sorry just trying to let you see where I'm coming from... have a magical day:) BTW..Not that I'm saying Eminem is the best, not by far, but when you look at the numbers... anyway stay magical :)

Goofyernmost

No, he actually created Mortimer Mouse... His wife created Mickey. It is an intellectual property. He had the idea he paid others to refine it and make is salable. You know that if he hadn't liked the likeness Ub created it would have been in the trash can. Walt hired and paid extremely talented people to create his kingdom based on his ideas. But, without Walt feeding them the ideas, there would be no Ub or any other well known Disney success.

mitchk

Original Poster
No, he actually created Mortimer Mouse... His wife created Mickey. It is an intellectual property. He had the idea he paid others to refine it and make is salable. You know that if he hadn't liked the likeness Ub created it would have been in the trash can. Walt hired and paid extremely talented people to create his kingdom based on his ideas. But, without Walt feeding them the ideas, there would be no Ub or any other well known Disney success.

Yes I agree. If you took the time to read my posts you would already have known that, but thank you ...have a magical day sir:)

lazyboy97o

I don't know the exact name of the park...sorry
That’s the park often discussed and it’s not really a theme park. Disneyland really was quite unique, even when compared to Holiday World and Knott’s Berry Farm (which both claim to be the first theme park).

mitchk

Original Poster

Goofyernmost

Yes I agree. If you took the time to read my posts you would already have known that, but thank you ...have a magical day sir:)
I did read it and, frankly, it made no sense at all. Mickey today isn't even the one that Ub came up with, he has changed countless times over the years. I'm not even sure what your point is. Is it that because Walt himself didn't draw every frame of the cartoons that it was someone else that created the character. That would be wrong, way wrong, so, if you weren't stuck on some thought that has no relevance you would have already known that, but thanks for your input and have a magical day, sir!

mitchk

Original Poster
I did read it and, frankly, it made no sense at all. Mickey today isn't even the one that Ub came up with, he has changed countless times over the years. I'm not even sure what your point is. Is it that because Walt himself didn't draw every frame of the cartoons that it was someone else that created the character. That would be wrong, way wrong, so, if you weren't stuck on some thought that has no relevance you would have already known that, but thanks for your input and have a magical day, sir!

His name is still Mickey Mouse right? A character that basically launched everything Disney. I was only pointing out that Walt did not create him, it has nothing to do with who animated cartoons, I'm just talking about who actually created the character .... that's all. Have a magical day sir!

mitchk

Original Poster

Maybe you should watch the video Phil12 posted, Walt didn't even come up with an idea for a mouse..... I think you have just been misinformed by the powers that be... ;)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Yes. Why?
Well, you might have written it, but, this forum and it's founders and managers actually run it enabling others to see the nonsense that you are trying to pass off as logic. So, I guess it could be said that Steve and his crew actually created your post. To bad, wasn't of your doing. Oh, and please.. have a magical day and bless your heart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom