Did Trader Sam's and 'Ohana Have a Singing Performer?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
'Cause, they're looking for one...

1544829131446.png

DisneyGigi

Yes they always have had a woman or man singing at ‘Ohana for dinner (we dine there every visit and just did in October again) and Trader Sam’s has had one too. ;)
I have only been there once and if there was a singer, the uh oha - I drank by myself, forgot it. Lol (trader Sam’s, been to Ohana probably 30 times or more)

Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
There used to always be a lady, same one, every time at ‘Ohana. Last two trips, we dined there twice, each time a man, playing the ukulele and signing. They lead the coconut races and people celebrating. (September 2018, late November 2018) I prefer the man. I don’t know why but her voice just annoyed me. :-/
Hubby used to call her his “girlfriend”.
He’s had a couple of embraces from her over the years, and each time he finally picked his jaw up off the floor, he would proclaim, “She smells soooo good”.

In all truthfulness, I never felt the need to get close to her, so I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of his assertion.

11A41DE4-CE93-491C-83C8-2D571D5CFEBB.jpeg

And yes, her voice annoyed me too. Mike lapped it all up though. Men. 🤦🏻‍♀️

DisneyGigi

Hubby used to call her his “girlfriend”.
He’s had a couple of embraces from her over the years, and each time he finally picked his jaw up off the floor, he would proclaim, “She smells soooo good”.

In all truthfulness, I never felt the need to get close to her, so I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of his assertion.

View attachment 333303

And yes, her voice annoyed me too. Mike lapped it all up though. Men. 🤦🏻‍♀️

She did like the fellas. ;) Great pictures. I think when we were there she made the loop more, maybe? It seemed like it was 2 and sometimes 3 times. My hubby wasn’t a fan, but to be fair he is not all that fond of the guy, much either. I like the more laid back style he has with the kids. It made it way easier to get the baby into it with the Coconut race.

JenniferS

I don't know the female singer's name at Ohana but I love her. Her voice is so soothing. That is her pictured above.
Apparently her name is Lipoa, and she left in June 2017, after more than 20 years at ‘Ohana.

She was certainly better at getting the kids (and men 😂) up to join her in the limbo dances and coconut races than her male replacement is.

ETA - According to someone on the Disboards, she now works Concierge at the Poly.

Last edited:

Amused to Death

I literally just left ‘Ohana and Trader Sam’s. There were no singers or musicians at either, and I guess this is why?

Nope. :)

Elika Kaiwi has a full-time gig singing and playing on the Grog Grotto's Tiki Terrace.

When you tire of hearing the screams of "Uh-Oa! Uh-Oa! Uh-Oa!" for the 17th time in one night, make your way outside to the Tiki Terrace and listen to Elika. You won't be sorry! :)

Elika.jpg

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

'Ohana had a lady for years, she left to become a concierge. She's been replaced with a guy. Curiously, I've seen the new guy calling names, refilling the bread and other restaurant side work, which is something the old lady (and guy before her) never had to do. They also have really cut back on the evening coconut races and other games. It's maybe once every few hours now, instead of every hour like before.

dreamfinder

When you tire of hearing the screams of "Uh-Oa! Uh-Oa! Uh-Oa!" for the 17th time in one night, make your way outside to the Tiki Terrace and listen to Elika. You won't be sorry! :)

That was always the tough call. Great atmosphere outside if the weather was nice, and the singer was a nice touch. Definitely more relaxing than inside, but with the yelling from the pool and other noises the outside needs a touch more theming/vegetation (not necessarily like inside) to help separate/isolate it some more to bring it up a notch.

wdwfan22

Apparently her name is Lipoa, and she left in June 2017, after more than 20 years at ‘Ohana.

She was certainly better at getting the kids (and men 😂) up to join her in the limbo dances and coconut races than her male replacement is.

ETA - According to someone on the Disboards, she now works Concierge at the Poly.

She did not leave. She was forced out of Ohana and is slowly being forced out of the Polynesian. The moved her to the Club level and last i heard were trying to move her over to Grand Floridian on occasion as well. On rare occasions you can see her in the lobby greeting at the entrance. They have also done this with other long term Cast Members who sort of become a face of this resort. She isn't the first and won't be the last I'm afraid. She is an outstanding Cast Member who always go above and beyond to make the interaction with Guest special. Another Cast Member to watch is Auntie Kaui who is always in the lobby. They have been trying to get rid of her for years.

Weather_Lady

Lipoa was beautiful and we always enjoyed her performances at 'Ohana. Last time we were there the gentleman was the one performing, and unlike Lipoa, he didn't circulate around the restaurant. We were seated in a corner and never even got a glimpse of him.

JenniferS

She did not leave. She was forced out of Ohana and is slowly being forced out of the Polynesian. The moved her to the Club level and last i heard were trying to move her over to Grand Floridian on occasion as well. On rare occasions you can see her in the lobby greeting at the entrance. They have also done this with other long term Cast Members who sort of become a face of this resort. She isn't the first and won't be the last I'm afraid. She is an outstanding Cast Member who always go above and beyond to make the interaction with Guest special. Another Cast Member to watch is Auntie Kaui who is always in the lobby. They have been trying to get rid of her for years.
I know she was forced out. Not for the first time, I’m afraid.

On the other hand, I’d be shocked if Auntie is going anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom