Did Trader Sam's and 'Ohana Have a Singing Performer?

The_Jobu

I went to Ohana 3 weeks ago and there was a performer. There was a gentleman performing and he circled the restaurant. Bread pudding was good.

TrojanUSC

She did not leave. She was forced out of Ohana and is slowly being forced out of the Polynesian. The moved her to the Club level and last i heard were trying to move her over to Grand Floridian on occasion as well. On rare occasions you can see her in the lobby greeting at the entrance. They have also done this with other long term Cast Members who sort of become a face of this resort. She isn't the first and won't be the last I'm afraid. She is an outstanding Cast Member who always go above and beyond to make the interaction with Guest special. Another Cast Member to watch is Auntie Kaui who is always in the lobby. They have been trying to get rid of her for years.

We were told that her "voice was going" which is why she left. The new guy is way less entertaining. Just stands in a corner and sings. Seems to be way fewer activities.

peter11435

She did not leave. She was forced out of Ohana and is slowly being forced out of the Polynesian. The moved her to the Club level and last i heard were trying to move her over to Grand Floridian on occasion as well. On rare occasions you can see her in the lobby greeting at the entrance. They have also done this with other long term Cast Members who sort of become a face of this resort. She isn't the first and won't be the last I'm afraid. She is an outstanding Cast Member who always go above and beyond to make the interaction with Guest special. Another Cast Member to watch is Auntie Kaui who is always in the lobby. They have been trying to get rid of her for years.
If they really wanted rid of her they wouldn’t have to try. They could easily eliminate her position and transfer her to another role.

muddyrivers

Why would they want to force out people like her? I don't understand what their reasoning would be as it's CMs like her that make people enjoy a Disney resort even more. It just doesn't make sense to me.

dreamfinder

Why would they want to force out people like her? I don't understand what their reasoning would be as it's CMs like her that make people enjoy a Disney resort even more. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Money. The longer someone works at a company (typically) the more benefits they are acruing, or the more they get paid based on more historical increases. When the current staffing is heavily based on CP, which have next to no benefits, and other short term staff, finding ways to force out long serving CMs looks like a good idea. Long term impacts be darned, it's all about the short term stock price increase.

kpilcher

I don't know the female singer's name at Ohana but I love her. Her voice is so soothing. That is her pictured above.
Lipoa is a lovely, lovely person who really knows the spirit of Aloha, and despite many ups and downs seems to enjoy her time at Disney when she is with guests. She was recruited here from Hawaii to help with the launch of 'Ohana (iirc) along with two gentlemen ( I don't remember their stage names so I won't say) and also frequently worked at the Luau, as well. I have known her (very casually) since 1995 but I haven't spoken to her in months, I'll have to check in on her. She helped my best friend emotionally through some rough times and I have several wonderful photos of her with my goddaughter over the years. Genuinely good person.

TrojanUSC

Money. The longer someone works at a company (typically) the more benefits they are acruing, or the more they get paid based on more historical increases. When the current staffing is heavily based on CP, which have next to no benefits, and other short term staff, finding ways to force out long serving CMs looks like a good idea. Long term impacts be darned, it's all about the short term stock price increase.

These are Equity contracts, they don't staff CPs in those roles.

Phineas

There was a female singer at Ohana named something like “Sister Leopa” for years. She’d dance and sing and visit tables and was charming for the first 10 minutes or so of your dinner, but it quickly became kind of grating. She laid it on a little too thick, for lack of a better explanation. She’d shuffle around the place to music, saying “Hey.” intermittently, then sang the Hawaiian Roller Coaster song from Lilo and Stitch.

She’d visit tables and over-enthusiastically say things to you like “HEY. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! AND YOU MAKE THIS PLACE EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL JUST. BY. BEING. HERE!”

Her “Hey.” is an inside joke with my brother and I, incidentally. It sounded deflated towards the end, like a goose call if that makes any sense to anyone.

The man with the ukulele, however is just overall pleasant and unobtrusive.

dreamfinder

These are Equity contracts, they don't staff CPs in those roles.

AYup. But when management just looks at numbers and sees how these short term staff from the CP with no real benefits "save" them money, they try to figure out how to realize similar savings elsewhere. So while it may not be a replacement with CP, replacing it with a new hire can have cost savings, especially if they do a replacement every few years.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I know she was forced out. Not for the first time, I’m afraid.

On the other hand, I’d be shocked if Auntie is going anywhere.
She was still greeting everyday at Poly back in October. Giving Leis out etc. We are there when we weren’t staying there a few days and when we stayed part of our stay there we always saw her and got Leis from her. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom