Did HP abandon Mission: SPACE?

gljvd

They need to approach valve or oculus and have them bring in VR head sets for the attraction along with a whole new interactive experience using the unreal 4 engine or unity. The equipment they already have to recreating the G's along with vr would make a compelling ride

Brad Bishop

Anyone ever think about that ride?

A few things always bug me when I ride it:
1) You buzz the ISS. WTH are you doing steering that close to the ISS???
2) As you approach Mars you're aimed dead center and told to, "Power the thrusters!" Then you launch towards the dead center of the planet. It's the dumbest, and most dangerous, approach.
3) After you level out at the last minute you approach the base through a canyon.
4) They build the base on the edge of another canyon.

Granted, it's billed as a "training simulator" and it should theoretically be training you for worst case scenarios. That being said, having a pilot do the stuff above (excepting for the flying through a canyon, I suppose, which is more of a "you're here and we're testing you on it") is dumb.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They need to approach valve or oculus and have them bring in VR head sets for the attraction along with a whole new interactive experience using the unreal 4 engine or unity. The equipment they already have to recreating the G's along with vr would make a compelling ride
That's the last thing they need to do in a centrifuge.

Bleugh...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is different than a regular ride. It's an interactive story where you play a role. After the first time, you realize it doesn't matter if you push any buttons on time - it's going to end the same every time. Star Tours does a great job of making each ride different. Why can't this ride?
Each capsule has to experience the same Gs at the same time?

Jeff456

I think that would definitely lead to a lot more motion sickness, I rode Galactica at Alton Towers in the UK at a soft opening which uses the Galaxy Gear VR I believe. The ride is a retheming of a B+M flying coaster called Air, it was enjoyable but safe to say after what is a comparatively short ride time I felt rather ill, certainly couldn't ride it again on the same day and I think mission space would be even worse!

Mickey5150

The true Mission Space experience in my opinion is unlike any other ride out there. Having been in awe seeing shuttle launches as a kid and then finally being able to experience it myself is impossible to capture in words. It is beyond awesome. If they ever wanted to change it just use the Space Launch System and Orion from NASA and change the landing since it would be kinda hard to fly a pod like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom