Did Disneyland Paris ruin the mystique for Europeans?

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Your post reminds me of the "The end of the world" flash movie where all the world's powers are launching nuclear missiles, and when it is Frances turn to fire they give the excuse "but I'm le tired" the commander says "Well, take a nap, THEN fire ze missiles"

Pantipan

Orlando is much cheaper than Paris and has very cheap and close accommodation outside the parks. Staying in Disney itself maybe similarly priced but if staying off property then Orlando wins hands down. Factor in eating off site also and Orlando beats Paris easily. I'm sure DLP has it's good points and if I were rich then I'd go tomorrow.

Just read this back and it sounds like I'm arguing with you or being rude, I'm not my friend. Sorry

No no it's ok. After all, the good deal for europeans, is the change dollar/euro. The price of a Mac Donald Menu or a PS3, is about the same in dollar or euro. So, 40% difference...

But for my family of 4, at the end the budget of a week in Orlando is maybe more than 5 or 6 times the price of a short stay in DLP because of the flight tickets.

For my kids, going to WDW and Orlando stays exceptional. And going to DLP wake up the desire of going again to WDW !

MerlinTheGoat

That's one of the things I hate about DLP, many clones are superior to WDW but the rides that are really unique to the park are so mediocre. The Indiana Jones rollercoaster is the perhaps worst themed disney rollercoaster ever. You clearly see the construction all the way and the temple elements are only a kind of sidekick. Absolutely no immersive quality if you compare to SM, BTMR, EE etc.

I'd say Space Mountain Mission 2 is definitely unique enough to call its own. Just look at it for starters on the outside. And remember that it's much more intense and thrilling than any other version. It's hardly what i'd call a clone. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, Expedition Everest feels much more like a clone of Big Thunder than SM Mission 2 does of the original SM. Phantom Manor is also not something i'd label a clone either, it's got an original story with different characters and many show scenes are completely new or different. Even the Storybook Canals have some different (and better designed) show scenes from the original. Pirates is more a clone than these others, but it still has some new stuff to keep it interesting. It has a totally new timeline of events too, making it feel much more logical as you descend through the levels. Beautifully designed as well. Even Small World has its own merits that make it original.

No way in hell is Temple of Peril the worst themed coaster ever either. It's hardly the best, but definitely not among the worst. I'd say that dishonor belongs to something like Primeval Whirl, Mulholland Madness, Screamin', or even to a lesser extent- the Barnstormer/Gadget's Go Coaster. I've yet to ride Rock n Roller Coaster, but i've also heard it's very bland. I'd have to also say you sort of missed the point of the "construction" parts- it's an archeological dig site with wooden scaffolding scattered around. A sort of artistic decision. I'm certainly not saying it couldn't have been better considering it's Indiana Jones, but it's clearly got a theme and they didn't just leave it half built like you seem to assume.

disney magic 06

Hi, I live in the north of England and have visited WDW 7 times (and going again in Sept); and DLP 7 times - usually for the Christmas decorations, as when DH and I come to WDW we like to come Sept/ Oct time, so I miss the Christmas stuff.
Yes, it's freezing and we've been on the rides in snowstorms at times, but soon warm up with lots of hot choc around the log fire at Sequioa Lodge -and we still love going. We go for 3 nights/ 4 days and it's enough.
We don't compare DLP to WDW as they are different completely, in style, ambience, experiences, staff and our expectations.
Some rides are definitely better at DLP - Pirates and Space Mountain spring to mind. The Castle is a castle on 3 storeys, and not just a walk through parking area for strollers! The new Toy Story area and Crushes Coaster are excellent. The Studios park is becoming unrecognisable to when it first opened.
However if I had to choose one of them to visit , it would be WDW for the full vacation package - which for most of us from UK includes the rest of the Orlando attractions.
Interestingly - DH visited DLP once and won't go back; when I go it's a girls only trip.
DLP is still Disney - just not as you may know it :) and if you get the chance, you should give it a try.

That post is unbelieveable. I could have written it almost word for word, except my husband has been twice to Paris, once to Florida and won't go to either again. I've even been to WDW 7 times, although a few more to DLP :wave:

OurDailyGruel

Well, I just got a copy of the Unofficial Guide to DLP a few days ago and while it isn't informative enough for me. The PRICES have me so frustrated. Not the ticket prices which I knew about from the official website but the transportation cost of getting to DLP from Paris (and my fantasy pied-de-terre) is either 18 euros one way by their express train (in 15 minutes) or an HOUR for 6.6 euros on their regular suburban train. That still makes it a noncasual trip for a less than the WORLD experience.

I was trying to see if I could use DLP as a cheaper alternative to WDW to use up toddlers' passion for Dumbo on Repeat 1. That way, I could visit Paris more and WDW every third year instead of annually - to shrink the cost of flights and on site accommodations. I can definitely handle a tight flat in Paris in a nonglammy arrondissement but still near a metro station over owning a place or a time share in Orlando. Yes, I would choose awful Paris taxation versus hurricane insurance.

I love cold weather and I hate the idea of lovebugs. Why don't guests at the world wear those netted bug hats?

It sounds like Anaheim and HK are easier to do on an annual pass. HK because an annual pass is crazy cheap and transportation is cheap as well. However, HK is a half day event and I wouldn't take a toddler to that city. It's good for kids after seven years old, I think.

I think the original Disneyland makes LA a nicer place to live but I'm not sure it is worth the cost of visiting over just visiting WDW. I really wanted Paris but am turned off by the transportation cost plus the ciggies and the booze (they should have banned those before banning the burka).

Round and round I go and I always seem to end up BACK in tropical Orlando. I have a feeling my kids are going to want to visit every year instead of every third year and I have to think about what I would economize to make that happen. I've been trying to not go down that slippery slope but Disney parks really have a knack for extracting money from anyone who has drunk the POG.

I agree that who the crowd is makes the place a happier event but I don't remember the Florida crowd being so great when I was there so long ago. But I like the Orlando trip reporters and from a blog post about HK, I think the crowd or noncrowd is less cheerful and kind of inhibited - they're not that into the characters over there. I think that would really affect my kids' good time. I was prepared to not have too much cheer from DLP as a tradeoff for the cooler temperatures and smaller crowds in the off season. But cigarette smoke! :brick:

plien69

I am European, I am German and I live in Berlin. Paris is about 8 hours away if you take the high-speed ICE train. I have been to DLP once because I had a GF in Paris in 1997. I didn't expect to much and I was still disappointed.
Yes the theming is beautiful and highly immersive, several rides are better than the WDW-version, e.g. BTMR. But it's not America and that takes away most of the magic for me. Of course DLP is also hampered by the weather, by the GREEDY princing policy, by the french version of hospitality and the sup-par second park WDS but I never felt the feeling of "being there" in DLP. I rather have only a trip to WDW every two or three years than going to DLP every six months.
An exception would be if they would build a major E-Ticket ride that is not existing in WDW and worth the trip. If they would build Indiana Jones Adventure there or even Journey to the Center of the Earth, than I would definitely visit DLP a second time.
But so far I have no interest whatsoever in going back there.
I'm interested in this part of the quote. With all Disney resorts striving to be highly immersive, what is it about WDW and America that makes a difference? Is it everything outside of Disney property, i.e. Orlando, etc. Or do you still have this feeling while within the WDW parks?

What if you took all of WDW (23 resorts, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, DTD, etc.) and relocated it to Paris? Would you still feel the same way? What if you took DLP and put it down in Orlando, would you still fly across the Atlantic to visit?

OurDailyGruel

How strict is DLP about bringing food inside the parks?

According to the Unofficial Guide (not recommended), food and drinks are forbidden and bags will be searched at the entrance. However, later in the same guide, packing snacks is mentioned at least twice. I would really have to pack my own food for any park visit. Food poisoning and waiting on lines would really slow us down. :)

Spike-in-Berlin

I'm interested in this part of the quote. With all Disney resorts striving to be highly immersive, what is it about WDW and America that makes a difference? Is it everything outside of Disney property, i.e. Orlando, etc. Or do you still have this feeling while within the WDW parks?

What if you took all of WDW (23 resorts, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, DTD, etc.) and relocated it to Paris? Would you still feel the same way? What if you took DLP and put it down in Orlando, would you still fly across the Atlantic to visit?

Good question, please give me a little time for the answer as I am now going to bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom