Did Disneyland Paris ruin the mystique for Europeans?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I work with a guy originally from Belgium. He is one of the few guys who I can talk to about Disney without any sort of weird look. He "gets" it.

He grew up before there was DL in Paris in 1992. He says that he remembers thinking that Disneyland (or WDW) was such a long distance away and in another galaxy that it was almost a fantasy for Europeans to ever get a chance to go there. Then when Disneyland Paris opened that changed everything and the mystique sort of killed it.

I told him that even Americans have that same dream about Disney despite living in the same country. A person in New York can think it's in another universe to travel there. Some never get that chance. I also said that the original Disneyland in California would still be worth the trip since it's Walt's own creation. I hadn't been there myself either and despite several trips to WDW I still dream about Disneyland.

So does my co-worker have a point?

Crockett

Banned
I can see his viewpoint. I work in lodging up here in TN, and sometimes get visitors from the Orlando/Central Fla area who are sick & burned out of Disney & Universal. Then you have people like most of us here, who could live right next to WDW for the remainder of their lives and enjoy every minute of it (I know I would). :)

But your friend does make a point in that Disney is special because it is an escape from the day-to-day. There are many out there who would not see the place as magical in their own hometown as they would 12-hrs away from home.

AEfx

Europeans have such an interesting view of DLP.

I met a family from Liverpool a few weeks ago at WDW. We chatted for a good 10-15 minutes. They come to WDW every year - they came once and thought it was a one-time thing, and they loved it so much they now return annually (the father joked about how his house is now full of Disney stuff and how they spend a tremendous amount of money to be able to do so).

I asked them about DLP and it was like I asked them if they went to the Red Light district in Amsterdam. They had never been, never wanted to go, said they had heard horrible things about the lines, the prices, and the experience overall. And they live in Liverpool - which is a 4 to 5 hour train ride from DLP. Instead they fly across the Atlantic and come to WDW.

I was very surprised they are huge Disney fans and have never been - it just speaks to what I've always heard, that DLP is simply despised by many Europeans, even those that love Disney parks.

I still want to go there very much, mostly to check out their Fantasyland dark rides, which have superior tech to ours.

Spike-in-Berlin

I am European, I am German and I live in Berlin. Paris is about 8 hours away if you take the high-speed ICE train. I have been to DLP once because I had a GF in Paris in 1997. I didn't expect to much and I was still disappointed.
Yes the theming is beautiful and highly immersive, several rides are better than the WDW-version, e.g. BTMR. But it's not America and that takes away most of the magic for me. Of course DLP is also hampered by the weather, by the GREEDY princing policy, by the french version of hospitality and the sup-par second park WDS but I never felt the feeling of "being there" in DLP. I rather have only a trip to WDW every two or three years than going to DLP every six months.
An exception would be if they would build a major E-Ticket ride that is not existing in WDW and worth the trip. If they would build Indiana Jones Adventure there or even Journey to the Center of the Earth, than I would definitely visit DLP a second time.
But so far I have no interest whatsoever in going back there.

MerlinTheGoat

I can only speak about how the park appeared in the mid-90's. I visited it twice back when i was a kid and when it was still sparkly new. So i can't judge on what it's like today. But i CAN say that when i was there, DLP had more than enough going for it to make it worthwhile. This coming from an American who grew up with WDW.

For the rides, pretty much every ride there is superior to WDW and/or Disneyland. Even the legendary Pirates of the Caribbean, which DLP got the best version of by far IMO. Space Mountain is totally unique, with not only a gorgeous look, but a very impressive looping track which is infinitely more thrilling than any other SM (uncomfortable though). There's an Indiana Jones looping coaster unique to the park, people tend to forget and unfairly disregard it even though it's fun (short though). Big Thunder just feels faster and smoother. All the Fantasyland dark rides have superior effects and are built with more recent tech. Phantom Manor is a very unique (and more frightening and disturbing) take on a haunted house, not necessarily superior but different and unique. The park itself is absolutely gorgeous, best designed by far of them all IMO. Even the castle is gorgeous and unique, with a nice walkthrough and even an awesome animatronic dragon in the dungeon underneath.

Sad to hear word that management has left it in a state of dilapidation. Doesn't help that i hear French teens are quite abusive to the place sometimes.:mad:

Mickey92

Hi everyone,

I live in the UK and therefore is about an hour and a half flight from the nearest airport into central paris or a good drive to the other side of the UK to catch the eurotunnel and then drive down into paris, I think this can be done in a day... but not sure..

My feelings on DLP are good! My family and I do really enjoy it! Ok, it is nothing like WDW but still if you can't afford to go over the atlantic for the 'real-deal' then this is a place to go if you only have this option.

It's a great resort and have some great rides! I think its also a great place to go, lets say if you haven't been to a Disney Resort before then this is a good place to go to see if you and your family enjoy it. And therefore, you aren't spending out on lots of money to go over to WDW and possibly not enjoy it. It is only a possibility...

But, I can see why people from Europe are not fans of DLP, I myself have heard rumours about the castmembers not being nice and rude, the parks being a bit dirty and not pleasant, ride closure etc etc

As Spike-in-Berlin said, Europe can have really bad weather most of the time and I feel this can/does dampen your stay at the resort :(

I think its a place that you go to once, then go to WDW afterwards if you can afford it... Thats the way I see it.. Sort of a test-run :lol:

For the rides, pretty much every ride there is superior to WDW and/or Disneyland. Even the legendary Pirates of the Caribbean, which DLP got the best version of by far IMO. Space Mountain is totally unique, with not only a gorgeous look, but a very impressive looping track which is infinitely more thrilling than any other SM (uncomfortable though). There's an Indiana Jones looping coaster unique to the park, people tend to forget and unfairly disregard it even though it's fun (short though). Big Thunder just feels faster and smoother. All the Fantasyland dark rides have superior effects and are built with more recent tech. Phantom Manor is a very unique (and more frightening and disturbing) take on a haunted house, not necessarily superior but different and unique. The park itself is absolutely gorgeous, best designed by far of them all IMO. Even the castle is gorgeous and unique, with a nice walkthrough and even an awesome animatronic dragon in the dungeon underneath.

I support this! Space Mountain: Mission 2 is great!! Uncomfortable at times but its awesome!! BTMR Is good because I love how it goes under the water and then onto its own island! Awesome! And it is smooth!

DLP's version of Downtown Disney, Disney Village I think could be improved alot! It looks very dated and can be done with some new paint and lots of bright colours!

So.. Thats my views on DLP! Would I still go? Yes! Anything to get some Disney Magic :p But ofcourse, I would prefer WDW! But yes I would go again because all-in-all it is still a good resort!

Tink28

I have been to DLP twice and have to say it is just not the same as WDW, it is fine for a Disney FIX but for 2 of us to go via Eurostar and stay for 3 nights it would cost about £450 ($720) which is so much more expensive than WDW.
The DLP version of Downtown Disney is awful and nothing like WDW, only a few shops and souvenir's much more expensive (and not the same quality either). I also hate the smoking, you can never seem to get away from it.
Some rides/attractions are in French, you have to sit in special rows to hear it in English but thats not too bad.
I think if you have not taken children to a Disney park before and are unsure if they will like it then DLP is great to try this out but once you have been to WDW you can really tell the difference.
If I could go to DLP for a cheap trip I would use it for my fix but I would rather save to go to Florida, it wins hands down for me.

Spike-in-Berlin

There's an Indiana Jones looping coaster unique to the park, people tend to forget and unfairly disregard it even though it's fun (short though).

That's one of the things I hate about DLP, many clones are superior to WDW but the rides that are really unique to the park are so mediocre. The Indiana Jones rollercoaster is the perhaps worst themed disney rollercoaster ever. You clearly see the construction all the way and the temple elements are only a kind of sidekick. Absolutely no immersive quality if you compare to SM, BTMR, EE etc.

SteveUK

I'm actually flying from the UK to Paris to then fly to Orlando in september. The idea of visiting DLP holds very little interest for me. I've been there twice and I've been disappointed twice. It's expensive, it's cold and it just isn't WDW.

I think if I had visited DLP first, I probably wouldnt have bothered going to WDW.

tallulahm

I would like to say that I really like DLRP :sohappy: I know it's not the same as WDW, and I think once you've been there, nothing compares!! I agree it is VERY expensive, even with the benefit of the slighlty favourable exchange rate, but we have been twice and thouroughly enjoyed it both times. We have never had a bad experience with cast memebers or any other guests. I think it's all a question of expectations, as it is with most things. I would always pick WDW over DLRP but, for a few days away, it's still pretty good.

And, yes, some of the rides are better than WDW!!! (Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror - queue anyway, and of course it has Crush's Coaster which is hillarious!!)

SteveUK

I have to acknowledge the rides are better, but somehow it's not the same walking around the Magic Kingdom with gloves and scarf on!

Spike-in-Berlin

My GF went to DLP for four times and she liked it but she didn't know WDW before she finally visited it together with me in 2007. She told me after that she never would go back to DLP again, she only wants to do the "real thing" and the real thing is either WDW or DL.
And prices at DLP are quite outrageous compared to WDW.

mergatroid

Europeans have such an interesting view of DLP.

I met a family from Liverpool a few weeks ago at WDW. We chatted for a good 10-15 minutes. They come to WDW every year - they came once and thought it was a one-time thing, and they loved it so much they now return annually (the father joked about how his house is now full of Disney stuff and how they spend a tremendous amount of money to be able to do so).

I asked them about DLP and it was like I asked them if they went to the Red Light district in Amsterdam. They had never been, never wanted to go, said they had heard horrible things about the lines, the prices, and the experience overall. And they live in Liverpool - which is a 4 to 5 hour train ride from DLP. Instead they fly across the Atlantic and come to WDW.

I was very surprised they are huge Disney fans and have never been - it just speaks to what I've always heard, that DLP is simply despised by many Europeans, even those that love Disney parks.

I still want to go there very much, mostly to check out their Fantasyland dark rides, which have superior tech to ours.

Firstly I apologise for the accent, we English don't all speak like that (joke) :lol:

I too have never been to DLP and have been coming to Orlando for over 35 years regularly to visit WDW. Believe it or not it costs little more to do 2 weeks in Orlando than 4 days in DLP and there's so much more to do. One day I'll visit DLP but even a 2 day trip is prohibitively expensive for such a quick trip. I've heard it's not nearly as good off so many people that it's something to do as a 'make do' if we couldn't afford Orlando etc one year.

Pantipan

Thanks of DLP, a lot of europeans heard about WDW, specialy before the "Web Boom".
It creates the mystique. Giving people the idea of visiting WDW... discovering the graal.

DLP is like the first step. You should see europeans DLP forums with people sharing their experience about WDW, it's like a initiation journey.

One word on DLP.
It's not so bad. Ok, hospitality & rooms are far from WDW standards. Compare to the others ressorts, there is not so much attractions. It's not as "Fresh" as a "Disney Sea" or a AK.
But on the other hand, if you're a Disney Fan, you would be silly to not visit it once.
The entrance with the "DL Hotel" sets the tone... Charming, Romantic, Beautiful.
And when you enter, your first look to the castle wake up the magic in your eyes. Thanks to imagineers at their best.
And the dream come true, Fantasyland looks the way it should, FrontierLand is a real huge country.
BTM is on a Island, a trick that make it for me, the best one. And listening, reading Hardcore Disney Fans, most DLP attractions offers interests even if you already known their big sister.

If like me, you like AK just to walk around, you will love DLP.

Both cultures were not so easy to match.
Soon children who enjoy the park will come with their own children, helping the park development.
DLP is just twenty years old. Give some time for him and europeans.

Pantipan

Believe it or not it costs little more to do 2 weeks in Orlando than 4 days in DLP and there's so much more to do..

Well that's right, travelling to US is a good deal for europeans. But don't forget that staying on site for a week at WDW, is not expensive. For a weekend, it's not the same deal.

At this time :
WDW = 3 nights 2 adults 2 children (4 days park + hotel value on site) => around 1300 dollars
DLP = 3 nights 2 adults 2 children (4 days park + hotel value on site) => around 1000 dollars

sueuk

Hi, I live in the north of England and have visited WDW 7 times (and going again in Sept); and DLP 7 times - usually for the Christmas decorations, as when DH and I come to WDW we like to come Sept/ Oct time, so I miss the Christmas stuff.
Yes, it's freezing and we've been on the rides in snowstorms at times, but soon warm up with lots of hot choc around the log fire at Sequioa Lodge -and we still love going. We go for 3 nights/ 4 days and it's enough.
We don't compare DLP to WDW as they are different completely, in style, ambience, experiences, staff and our expectations.
Some rides are definitely better at DLP - Pirates and Space Mountain spring to mind. The Castle is a castle on 3 storeys, and not just a walk through parking area for strollers! The new Toy Story area and Crushes Coaster are excellent. The Studios park is becoming unrecognisable to when it first opened.
However if I had to choose one of them to visit , it would be WDW for the full vacation package - which for most of us from UK includes the rest of the Orlando attractions.
Interestingly - DH visited DLP once and won't go back; when I go it's a girls only trip.
DLP is still Disney - just not as you may know it :) and if you get the chance, you should give it a try.

Disneyfan1981

From the few friends I have in Europe from what I heard is that DLP has helped the mystique of WDW instead of hurting it. A guy I knew who lived and worked in the UK said that he went to DLP a few times and once he finally made the trip over the Atlantic that it made it better and more "magical" because of the comparison. DLR has it's charm but I will admit, years of heading there before finally heading over to WDW it made it better than if I went to WDW first.

There are tons of Europeans whenever I go from various countries (something about WDW makes you chat it up with strangers with no issues) so I would say overall it hasn't hurt a thing.

RonAnnArbor

OK, I was going to let this one slide, but I have to comment since there are so many misnomers and mistaken comments in this thread....

First -- I agree that DLP does not diminish the appeal of WDW but enhances it for most Europeans...

Second, to the poster who mentioned he's "sorry it's all dilapidated now" or something to that effect --- WHAT???? It's as gorgeous and well taken care of now, as ever...

Third, to the weather -- it is rare that you have snow at DLP, and May through October are positively balmy -- a hot day in Paris can rival any hot day in Florida. True, you do wear coats at some times of year. Misnomer: that Europeans find that somehow annoying or awful...NO, Florida folks find that annoying and awful.

Fourth -- Disney has deliberately not pumped a lot of money into Disney Village -- people, for the most part, go into Paris for the evening for entertainment, not sit around the resorts. The Village wasn't built, originally, to provide a lot of night time entertainment (although there are a few restaurants and the movie theater there) -- it was built to HIDE the parking lot behind it from visitors exiting the RER train station.

Finally -- and I say this as an America who lived in Paris for over a decade before moving back: The biggest problem DLP has going for it is that it is an American institution plunked down in the middle of the French service industry...

The French DID NOT want Disney to build anything in their backyard. But money talks, just like everywhere else.

The French regulate everything, including prices, what can/can not be charged, what foods can/can not be served, what rules can/can not be enforced on WDW property. Smoking is one of those problems. Europeans smoke. Period. The township requires fireworks not start after a certain hour, nor can they attain a height that can be seen by anyone outside the peripheral embankment. Certain levels of noise are prohibited -- some attractions are placed inside the parks in specific locations where they can not be "heard" by anyone outside the embankment. Etc...

Americans who visit DLP don't think it's "American enough"....Europeans who visit DLP often think it is TOO American....The French are sort of indifferent to the whole thing.

But the biggest problem DLP faces compared to WDW or DL is the French Service Industry....workers fall under far different employment rules than in the US -- employers can not regulate dress, attitude, breaktimes, mealtimes, start times, close times, overtime...there is no such thing as asking an employee to "please stay 15 minutes longer today because so and so is late"....and if you have a problem employee, provided they have passed their probationary period, they CAN NOT be fired. And the French know that. So what happens over the years is that the French service industry attitude has crept into every aspect of DLP, from resort employees to park employees. For the most part, the Cast Members ARE trying to be nice, are trying to smile, are trying to make your day as comfortable as possible -- granted, comfortable and magical are two completely different things. But there are plenty of rotten eggs there as well -- and they are THERE TO STAY because DLP can not fire them. The service industry is seen as a "privilege" in France -- and once you have that job past its probationary period, your privilege is to know you are there no matter what you do (unless it's completely illogical or illegal). If you decide to keep your uniform unbuttoned, then Disney can ask you to button it, but they can not make you do it. If you decide you want to put your earring back in your ear, they can ask you to please not wear it while at work, but they can't make you. If you decide you are going to smoke while on break and wearing your costume, they can ask you to please not smoke in costume, but they can't make you. If your break comes at 12:15 and your replacement Ride Op has not shown up, you might be nice and stay the extra few minutes, and they can ask you to work through your break, but they can't make you.

When you have a society that places individual workers rights above organizational and management rights, you are going to see the kinds of problems you see right now all over France.

mergatroid

Well that's right, travelling to US is a good deal for europeans. But don't forget that staying on site for a week at WDW, is not expensive. For a weekend, it's not the same deal.

At this time :
WDW = 3 nights 2 adults 2 children (4 days park + hotel value on site) => around 1300 dollars
DLP = 3 nights 2 adults 2 children (4 days park + hotel value on site) => around 1000 dollars

Orlando is much cheaper than Paris and has very cheap and close accommodation outside the parks. Staying in Disney itself maybe similarly priced but if staying off property then Orlando wins hands down. Factor in eating off site also and Orlando beats Paris easily. I'm sure DLP has it's good points and if I were rich then I'd go tomorrow.

Just read this back and it sounds like I'm arguing with you or being rude, I'm not my friend. Sorry

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom