Did Disney layoff cleaning staff?

Tay

Original Poster
To answer the original question.... Yes, they did. As well as a load of Restaurant personnel.
As expected? Many of these folks are gone, and have new jobs elsewhere.

It's probably harsh on my part, but I will say: when a company throws a human being away? That company should not expect that human to sit around, waiting for a "call back". Being human, they need to eat :(.
Exactly! It’s honestly messed up how they treated their employees. They probably got new jobs. I know all the fast food, stores, hotels in my area have went up on pay to get more staff , Disney needs to do the same or at least bring back the perks they took away. I’m glad these people are standing up for themselves. I’m not blaming them. Why would they work for such little pay with rude people in a pandemic when they can just do Uber or Doordash for the same pay? This is on Disney as a company. It’s not their fault Disney uses the parks as their piggy bank for their ventures.

Smooth

1626728687273.png

I wonder if the Bob's would do this?

Smiley/OCD

Trash cans wouldn't be overflowing if that were the case. I know you've seen the multiple pictures of trash cans that obviously haven't been emptied for days.
Look, I was there in December and again in May and I NEVER saw an overflowing trash can, I have NEVER seen one while there. That doesn't take away from the fact that many entitled people are just pigs. And don't be so dramatic...a trash can would never be overflowing for days...I've moved over to the "dark" side so to speak and have been much more critical of the mouse in recent months, but days long overflowing cans are just a tad over the top.

Smiley/OCD

Do a couple searches here and via google and then you can come back and admit you were wrong.
When I see it with my own two eyes, I'll admit it (I'll be there in November). Until then It's bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster all rolled into one...I've seen all the films, but never with my own two eyes.

John park hopper

Unfortunately I have seen many trash cans with trash all around them on the ground which tells me they are not being emptied in a timely manner. That was in May 2019. Can honestly say never saw that in th 70's 80's and into the 90's. Though the public slob factor has increased considerably over the years.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is happening in my city too. Almost every restaurant and business has signs out looking to hire. People moved on during the pandemic, and now there are serious staffing shortages. It's not just Disney.

MorphinePrince

Yes from my vantage point as a guest enjoying the day at the park. No reason jumping on a fellow forum member like that. Have a good one!

I honestly did see quite a few on their phones but they immediately answered my questions so there’s that.
Custodial and housekeeping Cast Members have their own work iPhones that function similar to walkie talkies and allows them to communicate within their teams throughout their shifts. In addition to that, it also acts as a quick method of deployment to various areas in need of cleaning on a quicker basis. So while you certainly saw CMs on their phones, they were not just wasting time on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilofan

Apparently that is all a huge LIE!! Cast are lazy, dumb, and only care about playing Candy Crush Saga instead of doing their jobs. For Pete's sake, the MK has become a dump; one napkin on the floor was enough to ruin their entire vacation. Call the press!! 🤣 🤣 🤣
Dropping thousands of dollars in a week at WDW and I will let my concerns know to staff right then and there.

Disstevefan1

With all other things being equal, it's probably they are simply understaffed; partly because they can't find people to do the job and partly because Disney wants to work with minimum staff..

After all, folks will continue to pay their money and continue to go to the parks in MOBS anyway..

The trash will be picked up and the bathrooms will be cleaned up..... Eventually...

It makes you wonder what would Walt say about the parks today?

aliceismad

As you should! I voiced a few on my visit because I want to see them do better, not out of bitter spite. But there is a difference between lying about what Cast are doing on stage and voicing legitimate concerns.
I agree that voicing concerns politely to guest services is the best way to go in situations like this.

Trash cans overflow in one of the parks in my neighborhood. Why? Because there are food trucks that park there one night of the week. No one worked with the food trucks or neighborhood parks staff to provide additional garbage service, and people are too lazy to carry their trash 2 blocks to their house and would rather put it in a trash can that's obviously full or right there on the ground.

After the year+ that everyone has had, it seems we should extend one another a little more courtesy and grace, especially toward people in jobs that probably didn't have a job a few months ago. If a CM is on their phone, I'm not going to assume they're a louse with no work ethic. If a trash can is full, I'm going to assume Disney is getting to it. If another guest is rude, I'm going to assume that maybe they're having a bad day/month/year or are just an unpleasant person. Or maybe they've been cooped up in their house homeschooling their kids for a year. Who knows? It's been a traumatic time for many reasons, and I think the world could use a little patience.

Now if there is a trend of full trash cans everywhere and dirty bathrooms for months and years, then yes, Disney should absolutely address that, but in the grand scheme of things, if I'm fortunate enough to be on vacation, a little trash is not much of a concern.

drizgirl

Yes from my vantage point as a guest enjoying the day at the park. No reason jumping on a fellow forum member like that. Have a good one!
But there you are jumping on the custodial staff for looking at their phones.

Why the assumption they're posting on social media? You don't think maybe Disney dispatches staff as needed throughout the parks with some sort of electronic messaging.... by phone? I doubt they're sending a manager out to find a custodian to handle the cleanup in aisle 8.

Lilofan

But there you are jumping on the custodial staff for looking at their phones.

Why the assumption they're posting on social media? You don't think maybe Disney dispatches staff as needed throughout the parks with some sort of electronic messaging.... by phone? I doubt they're sending a manager out to find a custodian to handle the cleanup in aisle 8.
It seems clearly you are supporting their roles regardless of the end result - over flow trashcans. I'm not hear to debate something I saw even if you think it is an assumption on your part.

drizgirl

It seems clearly you are supporting their roles regardless of the end result - over closing trashcans. I'm not hear to debate something I saw even if you think it is an assumption on your part.
Nothing like that at all. But I do like to give the benefit of the doubt until I know different.

I agree that voicing concerns politely to guest services is the best way to go in situations like this.

Trash cans overflow in one of the parks in my neighborhood. Why? Because there are food trucks that park there one night of the week. No one worked with the food trucks or neighborhood parks staff to provide additional garbage service, and people are too lazy to carry their trash 2 blocks to their house and would rather put it in a trash can that's obviously full or right there on the ground.

After the year+ that everyone has had, it seems we should extend one another a little more courtesy and grace, especially toward people in jobs that probably didn't have a job a few months ago. If a CM is on their phone, I'm not going to assume they're a louse with no work ethic. If a trash can is full, I'm going to assume Disney is getting to it. If another guest is rude, I'm going to assume that maybe they're having a bad day/month/year or are just an unpleasant person. Or maybe they've been cooped up in their house homeschooling their kids for a year. Who knows? It's been a traumatic time for many reasons, and I think the world could use a little patience.

Now if there is a trend of full trash cans everywhere and dirty bathrooms for months and years, then yes, Disney should absolutely address that, but in the grand scheme of things, if I'm fortunate enough to be on vacation, a little trash is not much of a concern.

A little trash may not be much of a concern for you, but seeing trash cans overflowing and trash scattered all over the ground near it does concern me. You can excuse it all you want, but I'm not buying into that. Seeing garbage tossed on the ground and those cans jammed and spilling out shows me is that Disney doesn't give a about it, and that is what concerning to me. They open the park, they increase capacity when they aren't equipped with the staff to take care of it. And why should they care, they have plenty of guests making excuses as to why it's OK. Next thing you know WDW will be looking like the grounds at a traveling carnival. No thanks.

Lilofan

A little trash may not be much of a concern for you, but seeing trash cans overflowing and trash scattered all over the ground near it does concern me. You can excuse it all you want, but I'm not buying into that. Seeing garbage tossed on the ground and those cans jammed and spilling out shows me is that Disney doesn't give a **** about it, and that is what concerning to me. They open the park, they increase capacity when they aren't equipped with the staff to take care of it. And why should they care, they have plenty of guests making excuses as to why it's OK. Next thing you know WDW will be looking like the grounds at a traveling carnival. No thanks.
These trash cans serve another purpose. It is a place to put our food and drink while enjoying the cuisine at World Showcase Food and Wine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom