Diagon Alley details revealed - spoiler alert

Fox&Hound

With risk of getting called a "pixie duster", or even getting violent threats (as i have gotten on twitter...yay adults!), I do have a few negative viewpoints on this expansion.

BEFORE I EXPRESS THEM, I will start by saying that thematically, this area is GORGEOUS. They did a fantastic job and raised the bar for all other parks WORLD WIDE. Props to them for that.

..with that in mind...I wish I could have seen what they could do if they didn't rely on screens. On Hogwarts Express..TOTALLY acceptable, works well...I can understand WHY its used. But from what I've heard from a few different people, Gringotts is 95% screens? This goes for ANY theme park, not just Universal...but the moment you rely on screens, you start to lose my interest...add 3D glasses? You lose me completely. This is my opinion, and I'm sure many many many others will call me stupid for having it, but its how I feel. (REMEMBER, I said this isn't just limited to UNIVERSAL, I'm not a fan of their use at disney either). They have showcased how great they can build things...and I think that having all 3 new potter attractions that rely heavily on this technology is a bit overkill. I'd have loved to see a gringotts with physical effects rather than ones shown on a screen. Maybe I'm too old school for these sorts of things, but I go to the movies to watch things like that...I go to a theme park for that physical depth. Not sure if that's making any sense. Add to that the fact that I know a few people who can't stomach 3D :( It makes them instantly nauseous and its a shame because they are HUGE Harry Potter fans, but feel a tad alienated because they can't enjoy the experience without wanting to throw up. I obviously realize this is a MINORITY situation, and I wouldn't expect that to be a factor in anybody else enjoying it, Just a note as to why my opinion is what it is. Obviously I can't say anything for sure, as no videos of the attraction were allowed and thus we don't know exactly whats involved, but the many things I HAVE heard, lead me to the above concerns.

All that aside, I really do look forward to seeing this in person. I give complete kudos to them for doing what they did, and I will reserve all final judgments until I experience it in person.

I think you said that beautifully. I also have not been yet and fully intend to go, but after watching the behind the scenes making of Diagon Alley on TV tonight my wife and I literally said the same thing. Why the mind-blowing theming and then tons of screens? I get it for Hogwarts express but the Gringotts coaster??? I got so sick on Forbidden journey looking at all those screens. It just seems like a missed opportunity. I wouldn't care if there were no HP characters on the ride itself, just take me around the bank vaults and by an AA dragon and I'd cheer like crazy.

I hope screens are not the next big thing for rides at various parks. I want to be in the world, not watch the ride on a screen.

Fox&Hound

View attachment 57333 View attachment 57332 View attachment 57331 So I've now experienced everything at DA and I really don't even know how to say this, but I guess simply put this is the most amazing experiences I've ever had at any place of entertainment. The level of detail blows anything WDW has ever done out of the stratosphere. It makes ToT look like a six flags ride and I'm really not even exaggerating. My expectations were high, but I was still floored.

Note to Disney... You cannot slash the budget for Avatar land because this has to be your answer to this and you've got quite the uphill battle.

Just a couple pics from today

Not to get off topic, but I fear that Harry Potter has such an established world and there was so much to draw from to make this incredible, realistic world. People wanted to see the world they experienced in the books and movies. I don't see how Avatar could possibly begin to be WDW's answer to this because Avatar is not a franchise-it's one stand alone movie that might be a franchise one day. All of this is coming from a huge WDW fan, but I'm not sure how they will "answer" this Potter home run.

Scuttle

Not to get off topic, but I fear that Harry Potter has such an established world and there was so much to draw from to make this incredible, realistic world. People wanted to see the world they experienced in the books and movies. I don't see how Avatar could possibly begin to be WDW's answer to this because Avatar is not a franchise-it's one stand alone movie that might be a franchise one day. All of this is coming from a huge WDW fan, but I'm not sure how they will "answer" this Potter home run.
I agree, but until Star Wars is official it's the answer.

Wysdom

Don't these heathens know that any civilized theme park visitor reserves their access to attractions months in advance using convienient smart device enabled mobile apps that are linked to RFID chips? Savages.

They aren't even able to be steered by technology over to the empty seats at T2 and Fear Factor.

What kind of resort is this anyway with new attractions that people are waiting for a chance to get into? Don't they understand that new and different isn't the same as classic and unchanging? When I go on vacation, I expect it to be almost exactly the same as it has been for the last 10 years.
The sarcasm in this post is hugely entertaining!!!! lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom