DHS Villains in Vogue Store sadly on it's way out...

prberk

Even Sid's has been hit by this plague. Up to a few years ago, you could purchase posters from random and obscure movies for an extremely reasonable price. They had containers on the porch with samples that featured all kinds of older Disney movies. I bought one from The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band.

Now those same containers have the same posters you can buy in tubes at the Art of Disney - ones that have Tink in the various seasons, etc. I keep checking to see if it has changed back, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it ever will.

Yeah, that is why I liked Sid's. Now those old posters and artifacts are gone?

Well, I actually bought a few obscure, unique ones for friends. So much for spending that money again.

I just don't understand how they don't get it: More unique items = more sales. More of the same stuff you bought yesterday = less sales.

Yes, there should be some catch-all generic Disney stuff around, but there should also be unique stuff to really maximize sales (and profits).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, that is why I liked Sid's. Now those old posters and artifacts are gone?

Well, I actually bought a few obscure, unique ones for friends. So much for spending that money again.

I just don't understand how they don't get it: More unique items = more sales. More of the same stuff you bought yesterday = less sales.

Yes, there should be some catch-all generic Disney stuff around, but there should also be unique stuff to really maximize sales (and profits).

Unfortunately, it appears that Disney is gearing their merchandising (not unlike the changes to their dining menus) towards the lowest common denominator. They see the parents pushing their Nimitz-class strollers as being more interested in generic Pixie merchandise or glow sticks as opposed to villans' merchandise or rare movie posters. For me, the upside is that I actually spend less for souvenirs on my trips. Especially since they've also gotten rid of the resort-specific mugs....:brick:

Ignohippo

Well, what they may be missing is that you can't have a million and a half stores carrying the same merchandise. The villains stuff certainly may not have sold as much as other more popular items, but you still need the specialty stores so that the other "bulk" merchandise doesn't appear stale.

In these days, it all comes down to sales per square foot. Disney needs to realize they need to maintain the unique items and stores or else everything will run together and they will lose sales as a whole.

After all, you're not only selling merchandise, you're selling the "Disney Experience." If people feel they can get the same merchandise anywhere, it loses it's uniqueness and people will stop seeing it's value. The parks will also lose some appeal because people will feel they can get the same merchandise at their local Disney Store.

It's becoming more and more apparent that all of the Disney Stores in the parks are carrying the same merch and all have the same sections of merchandise.

It's another great example of Disney not seeing the forest for the trees...

tirian

Well, what they may be missing is that you can't have a million and a half stores carrying the same merchandise. The villains stuff certainly may not have sold as much as other more popular items, but you still need the specialty stores so that the other "bulk" merchandise doesn't appear stale.

In these days, it all comes down to sales per square foot. Disney needs to realize they need to maintain the unique items and stores or else everything will run together and they will lose sales as a whole.

After all, you're not only selling merchandise, you're selling the "Disney Experience." If people feel they can get the same merchandise anywhere, it loses it's uniqueness and people will stop seeing it's value. The parks will also lose some appeal because people will feel they can get the same merchandise at their local Disney Store.

It's becoming more and more apparent that all of the Disney Stores in the parks are carrying the same merch and all have the same sections of merchandise.

It's another great example of Disney not seeing the forest for the trees...

You'd have a great time meeting some of the people making the decisions. They live in an alternate universe.

dipdee

This blows.I love the villain's store.We love to go in there and buy stuff. There are still people out here that love the villains. Villains need the love just as much as the hero's because without them there wouldn't be need for hero's!!!!:fork:

arielbabe

aww this is such rubbishness :( i remember when it first opened and they had a big picture of all the disney villians and if you could name them all correctly you would get a prize either a big keyring or a small action figure of your fave villian i love my malificent one i got still take it everywhere

DisneyParksFan

They just need to get back to the "imagine" part of "imagineering"...

Once a store has been designed, the items sold in them is dictated by merchandise, not Imagineers.

I keep checking to see if it has changed back, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it ever will.

The store probably won't fully return to the one that you remember but I am sure it also will not go completely away. Sid's has an amazing back story to it while also being one of the more selective stores for cast members to work it.

Not really. For a vacation destination such as WDW, it's pretty much the opposite. Most people who visit are looking for their typical vacation souvenirs, not usually some obscure item that can only be found in one store at one park. People want their Mickey ears, their autograph books, and their plush Mickeys.
Now, it's not the same with all people, but the majority of the guests want what pretty much every other guest wants. And because of these similar wants, a lot of the same items of manufactured.....and at a cheaper cost too since everything arrives in bulk.
But, since true specialty items are special, they are not produced in bulk, meaning the cost of production is higher...thus making the price tag on each item higher. Simple economics.
Just using Sid's as an example, you'd be surprised at how little actually gets sold there on a daily basis.

but there should also be unique stuff to really maximize sales (and profits).

The problem is, if unique items are produced and aren't sold, the company loses money on those products. The lose of money will lower their confidence in the decision to further produce specialty items in the future.
Of course, a unique item might be a hit...you never know.

At the end of the day, Disney is a company and for the most part, they will look towards the bottom line.

That's why many items (like plush) are marked "Park Exclusive." It adds to the value of the item because it promises a uniqueness to the item.....that it cannot be found outside their parks.

From what I always see, many guests love the idea of having the option of purchasing similar items at all four parks, at Downtown Disney, and their Resorts. Having generic merchandise sold in multiple locations gives guests the option to purchase items when they want as opposed to being focused to buy one item that they really want but can only find at this one store in this one location. Now, a guest has the ability to purchase a similar item later at night say at Downtown Disney or the Magic Kingdom instead of worrying about buying it where they originally saw it that day or trying to return to it later.

tirian

From what I always see, many guests love the idea of having the option of purchasing similar items at all four parks, at Downtown Disney, and their Resorts. Having generic merchandise sold in multiple locations gives guests the option to purchase items when they want as opposed to being focused to buy one item that they really want but can only find at this one store in this one location. Now, a guest has the ability to purchase a similar item later at night say at Downtown Disney or the Magic Kingdom instead of worrying about buying it where they originally saw it that day or trying to return to it later.

Your argument's weakness is that it assumes merchandise must be "all or nothing." That isn't true.

I agree that every park should have a main emporium selling similar merchandise, but that doesn't mean that almost every store in the same park should carry the same items, which is the case in the MK (and becoming true at DHS).

Adventureland, Epcot, DL, TDL, and DAK have proven that specialty stores and general Disney emporiums can happily coexist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom