DHS Third Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Entrance?

MKeeler

Original Poster
I apologize if this particular rumor has already been discussed; I searched through the comments, but perhaps did not use adequate search terms.

I know that as it stands DHS will only have two entrances to SW:GE compared to Disneyland's three. In listening to the Disney Dish podcast with Jim Hill and Len Testa about what was announced at D23, they discuss a potential new street area and third entrance to SW:GE. They discussed how imagineers had mentioned with the conversion of the Great Movie Ride to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, part of the now unused space would be eventually converted to a third street for the third entrance to SW:GE. This entrance would be behind the GMR building.

In trying to visualize this, I'm assuming access to this area and entrance would have to come through what is currently Pixar Place. Does this mean an eventual re-theme of Pixar Place instead of leaving it designated as backstage? Is there any further information on what this area could be or if this possibility has been completely rejected?

I know some will dismiss the notion summarily due to the source, but it does seem like this is something that has potential and wanted to raise for discussion in case.

roj2323

I apologize if this particular rumor has already been discussed; I searched through the comments, but perhaps did not use adequate search terms.

I know that as it stands DHS will only have two entrances to SW:GE compared to Disneyland's three. In listening to the Disney Dish podcast with Jim Hill and Len Testa about what was announced at D23, they discuss a potential new street area and third entrance to SW:GE. They discussed how imagineers had mentioned with the conversion of the Great Movie Ride to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, part of the now unused space would be eventually converted to a third street for the third entrance to SW:GE. This entrance would be behind the GMR building.

In trying to visualize this, I'm assuming access to this area and entrance would have to come through what is currently Pixar Place. Does this mean an eventual re-theme of Pixar Place instead of leaving it designated as backstage? Is there any further information on what this area could be or if this possibility has been completely rejected?

I know some will dismiss the notion summarily due to the source, but it does seem like this is something that has potential and wanted to raise for discussion in case.

If they remove the maintenance bay for GMR (the white roof area) that would clear about 50-60ft of space to do such a thing on the back end but it wouldn't make much sense as they'd also have to demo a good portion of ABC commissary or part of GMR which isn't going to happen. A conversion of Pixar place would be more likely but they seem to be putting a lot of effort into blocking that corridor off to guests so I don't think thats very likely either. I believe your source which is known to be Horribly inaccurate in most cases is trying to wish something into being or they are confusing the possibility of a second park entrance in the Star Wars area of the park that leads to and from the proposed Star Wars resort.
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 4.04.00 PM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Commissary Lane already empties into Grand Ave which is the main entrance. So, the only real possible 3rd entrance would be at the end of Pixar. I showed that on the map below in a cyan arrow.

That large green space is a possible expansion pad. Which means, OTOH, that it's cutting into expansion space. But, OTOH, an expansion there can allow folks to pass it by to get in and out of the land. An entrance there means that people exiting TSMM can easily pop into SWGE rather than snake back around the ride building into TSL. It also means they can open Pixar Lane for food carts and M&Gs.

Jim Hill is the only person with this news that I know of.

upload_2017-8-21_17-2-51.png

HauntedMansionFLA

Commissary Lane already empties into Grand Ave which is the main entrance. So, the only real possible 3rd entrance would be at the end of Pixar. I showed that on the map below in a cyan arrow.

That large green space is a possible expansion pad. Which means, OTOH, that it's cutting into expansion space. But, OTOH, an expansion there can allow folks to pass it by to get in and out of the land. An entrance there means that people exiting TSMM can easily pop into SWGE rather than snake back around the ride building into TSL. It also means they can open Pixar Lane for food carts and M&Gs.

View attachment 224177
Is the potential expansion for the SWL located where you're blue arrow is pointing? I know for now its the Berm.

doctornick

This is an interesting -- though seemingly inaccurate -- rumor. I don't believe it or expect it to happen, but....

If the powers that be recognized that DHS is going to have severe crowding, guest flow and capacity problems and wanted to address that, this would be a reasonable and easy way to possible help. For starters, the (current) Pixar Place path already exists, so they don't have to really build it, but make a proper connection to SW:GE. Second, once TSL opens and they close off Pixar Place, that area becomes backstage and could be worked on (re-themed/updated) relatively easily.

Pixar Place as is already has a M&G space (Woody/Buzz) as well as a small counter service kiosk and merch area. If nothing else, those could be quickly repurposed for capacity. Say, for example, of converting the current Pixar Place to a Monsters Inc theme -- change the M&G to Mike and Sulley, change the food kiosk to Tony's Grossery and have the merch be Monsters stuff. Allowing another path for entering or exiting SW:GE would potentially help with crowd control.

And if they really got ambitious, they could use the potential SW expansion plot in the berm for a Monsters* ride instead or maybe even use part of the GMR building since some of it reportedly won't be used by Mickey. Don't know how much space we are talking about, but something small like DCA's Monsters ride would be appreciated in that park.

*=doesn't have to be Monsters Inc, could be any other concept, just mentioning that as an option.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is an interesting -- though seemingly inaccurate -- rumor. I don't believe it or expect it to happen, but....

If the powers that be recognized that DHS is going to have severe crowding, guest flow and capacity problems and wanted to address that, this would be a reasonable and easy way to possible help..
The last thing they want is another way in.

Expect 2019 to come with one entrance and one exit at opening.

doctornick

I was actually thinking if they did open this -- again, do not think it is any more than unsubstantiated rumor -- that it would be a second exit for the land at first.

TiggerDad

I was wondering about this given the traffic controls to get into Pandora. With multiple ways in, it becomes harder to queue people to access the land. This just makes sense for opening until the crowds die down. Then the only issue becomes shoving people out the exit to free up room for new people to come in.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't want to go too far off-topic, but I recall hearing the show buildings may be taller in WDW because they're not building them partially underground there? Is that true?

They appear to have gone down as far underground as they did in DL, or close to it.

doctornick

I don't want to go too far off-topic, but I recall hearing the show buildings may be taller in WDW because they're not building them partially underground there? Is that true?

Doubt it, but.... in DL there might be more of a desire to keep the land hidden and secluded and not visible at all from the rest of "Walt's park" while in DHS they could make the buildings taller and a visible weeny from other lands in order to "show off" the land.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

View attachment 224177

Mr Penguin I love almost all of your posts, but can't that just be a light blue arrow? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom