DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

HauntedMansionFLA

Then the OP should have chosen their words more carefully. There's also Big Hero 6 characters meeting for over six months, but that's a bit more contentious on whether or not they count as Marvel characters.
My bad, since Disney never used the word Marvel to promote it. I didn't think that Guardians counted - I stand corrected. :)

Matt_Black

Easy mistake. After all, it's not like Marvel appears right above the name in all the marketing...

guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-logo-header.jpg.jpg

:p;)

VulcanCafe

Easy mistake. After all, it's not like Marvel appears right above the name in all the marketing...

guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-logo-header.jpg.jpg

:p;)

Except when used at Disney Hollywood Studios, seen here courtesy Mouseplanet
ST+Guardians+of+the+Galaxy.jpg

Since Guardians does not seem to appear in Universal's Marvel contract (murals, rides etc) they can be used by Disney at WDW provided they are not branded Marvel at all. (at least that is what I understand from many pages of internet commentary, lol)

HauntedMansionFLA

Except when used at Disney Hollywood Studios, seen here courtesy Mouseplanet
ST+Guardians+of+the+Galaxy.jpg

Since Guardians does not seem to appear in Universal's Marvel contract (murals, rides etc) they can be used by Disney at WDW provided they are not branded Marvel at all. (at least that is what I understand from many pages of internet commentary, lol)
Well said :)

yensidtlaw1969

Now you're all splitting more hairs than my barber looking for a payday. They are Marvel characters, and they showed up in WDW.
The terms of the Marvel contract are pretty clear - basically, Disney can only use their newly developed properties in Theme Parks that are east of the Mississippi. No one else has Theme Park rights to Guardians of the Galaxy, hence why it showed up (but they couldn't even use the word Marvel to promote it). Same with Big Hero 6.

Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America . . . don't be looking for them in attractions at WDW.

doctornick

The terms of the Marvel contract are pretty clear - basically, Disney can only use their newly developed properties in Theme Parks that are east of the Mississippi. No one else has Theme Park rights to Guardians of the Galaxy, hence why it showed up (but they couldn't even use the word Marvel to promote it). Same with Big Hero 6.

Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America . . . don't be looking for them in attractions at WDW.

You are somewhat oversimplifying and it's not that clear. Some properties definitely fall among a grey area in the contract: for example, Dr. Strange or The Inhumans (to pick some properties that are in development).

doctornick

In development by whom?

Sorry, not clear on my part. Marvel Studios is developing movies for Dr. Strange and The Inhumans. No one (that anyone is aware) is developing rides for them. My point is that they could be the next Guardians of the Galaxy that could potentially be used at WDW if the movies are a success because they fall in a grey area of the Marvel/Universal contract.

yensidtlaw1969

Sorry, not clear on my part. Marvel Studios is developing movies for Dr. Strange and The Inhumans. No one (that anyone is aware) is developing rides for them. My point is that they could be the next Guardians of the Galaxy that could potentially be used at WDW if the movies are a success because they fall in a grey area of the Marvel/Universal contract.
Marvel Studios, owned by Disney? Yeah, that jibes with what I was saying, that Disney can build attractions based on properties they develop. I didn't mean develop from whole cloth, I meant Marvel properties not yet developed into films or attractions by another studio. That was unclear on my part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom