DHS-First to worst. Can I get an amen?

Goodtimes

Original Poster
I was recently talking to a friend of mine who also loves Disney World and we were both in agreement that Disney Studios (MGM, Hollywood, whatever) went from favorite park to least favorite park over the past ten years or so. It seems more like a collection of a few good rides instead of a full-fledged concept. With the actual studios gone, it feels like it lost its core and purpose. Imagine Animal Kingdom without the animals. You would still have a few nice attractions, but it would be missing the whole point.
I'm not against having a theme park based on the movies. But this theme park was based on a working movie/television studio--and it's obvious that it's missing something now. If anyone got a chance to see what it was like in the first few years of operation you know what I mean. It was exciting to see real TV shows taped there and to know animators were working on the latest Disney feature on the premises.
New attractions at DHS are slow to come, but when they do they are of high quality. But, unlike the other parks, this place doesn't add up to more than the sum of its parts.
What do you think? I've never been to DCA in Anaheim, but it seems to suffer from the same disease. Is DHS the East Coast DCA?

sponono88

I don't have much to add, except to say that I like both DHS and DCA. DCA isn't suffering a disease, quite the opposite - the park is growing by leaps and bounds. Come join us at the DL section to see what's in store for DCA..

DHS does need some work, that I will agree with, but overall it is a solid park. Getting rid of the hat, doing some work on the backlot tour, just to name a few things that would improve the park. The addition of some smaller family rides (c-d tickets) would be great as well. And add me to the list of those who miss the MGM name.

Figment632

DHS currently has no theme it is inbetween th HW theme and a generic DIsney theme. Most likley you will see Pixar Studios expanded to a great extent and one day the creation of MArvel studios.

I agree yes MGM was great and had a great theme it is very sad to see what the park has become. On the other hand once it establishes it self the park has a very bright future.

Animaniac93-98

Just wait till 'ol Studios fan hears about this!

I actually think that DHS is a park with a great future out there. It's additions have been both frequent and of good quality, helping to fix the awkward theming it's had.

While old MGM had working facilities (and I do feel bad for the Florida animators losing their jobs), it didn't have randomized drops on ToT, TSMM, Block Party Bash, an upgraded Star Tours etc. In addition the park still has interesting dining facilities and shops and plentiful live street entertainment. With plans to digitalize Muppet-Vision, add the MI coaster, take down the hat etc. I feel good about what's going to happen to the park. And I love it now!

I can't say the same for AK, which is about to enter it's 4th year without any new shows or attractions and no rumors or signs of construction. Shouldn't we be concerned about that?

fosse76

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who also loves Disney World and we were both in agreement that Disney Studios (MGM, Hollywood, whatever) went from favorite park to least favorite park over the past ten years or so. It seems more like a collection of a few good rides instead of a full-fledged concept. With the actual studios gone, it feels like it lost its core and purpose. Imagine Animal Kingdom without the animals. You would still have a few nice attractions, but it would be missing the whole point.
I'm not against having a theme park based on the movies. But this theme park was based on a working movie/television studio--and it's obvious that it's missing something now. If anyone got a chance to see what it was like in the first few years of operation you know what I mean. It was exciting to see real TV shows taped there and to know animators were working on the latest Disney feature on the premises.
New attractions at DHS are slow to come, but when they do they are of high quality. But, unlike the other parks, this place doesn't add up to more than the sum of its parts.
What do you think? I've never been to DCA in Anaheim, but it seems to suffer from the same disease. Is DHS the East Coast DCA?

I somewhat disagree. The working studio bit, was in my opinion, only a ploy to legitimize the building of the park. Even Universal Studios had limited production at their park in Orlando, as it was an attractions-based park. Disney should have stuck with the park that way. Maybe theme areas after specific film genres. That said, its become the park I spend the most time at, for some reason. I think it's just the overall atmosphere of the park.

misterID

You know if they set up the park in genre's; Comedy, Sci Fi, Horror (A Great Horror Movie Ride :D ) ... it would really do a lot for that park. Even if they switched LMA to a James Bond theme would help the theming.

I know some people hate the idea, but an INDY ride would be perfect there. *hides*

This park has ton of potential.

EpcotServo

I actually think that DHS is a park with a great future out there. It's additions have been both frequent and of good quality, helping to fix the awkward theming it's had.

While old MGM had working facilities (and I do feel bad for the Florida animators losing their jobs), it didn't have randomized drops on ToT, TSMM, Block Party Bash, an upgraded Star Tours etc. In addition the park still has interesting dining facilities and shops and plentiful live street entertainment. With plans to digitalize Muppet-Vision, add the MI coaster, take down the hat etc. I feel good about what's going to happen to the park. And I love it now!

I can't say the same for AK, which is about to enter it's 4th year without any new shows or attractions and no rumors or signs of construction. Shouldn't we be concerned about that?

^Exactly.

Just wait till 'ol Studios fan hears about this!

I've long ago abandoned any hope of showing sanity to the flaming crazy of Disney fans who have an incredible ability to oversimplify and ignore the inherit and intrinsic value in things. For all the complaining I do, I'm at least able to see the value inherit at everything at Disney and Universal. Lately though this premise of thinking has been abandoned for short term attention and a mob-mentality to only stand behind others' opinions instead of having decent compromised ones that come from the heart, rather than the opinion.

In short, I grow tired of these monkeyshines on the internets and the TVs, and the radios, and I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

:lol:

RAVENS FAN

We never used to be big "MGM" fans, spending very little time there. However, on our trip there last week, we found ourselves there more than normal, and enjoying it.
I would like to see some updates.... how hard would it be to do a new Muppet movie? Philharmagic is wayyyy better.. As for the Great Movie ride..... seriously has ANYONE ever seen a Buzby Berkly film?? Certainly not the 19 yo "driving" the ride.
Still, i like the atmosphere, and the shopping. Why? i dont really know, but i do.

_Scar

In a year it will enter its 4th year :p

And I am actually beginning to fall madly in love in DHS. The atmosphere- there's nothing like it. And although many attractions need refurbs, DHS has so much potential in the future.

_Scar

Completely disagree.

DHS is my favorite park, with the MK being by far my least favorite as of now.

Yea, I agree about MK.

If any park is going from first to worst, it's MK. But that's because FLand is so mediocre, and we all know that problem is getting fixed.

So that leaves just one park that offers nothing really new and exciting.... *cough*Epcot*cough*

SirGoofy

I would like to see some updates.... how hard would it be to do a new Muppet movie? Philharmagic is wayyyy better..

Good God, no. The minute that show is changed is the day I never ever go to WDW again. Update the effects, maybe, but the show itself was the last thing Jim Henson completely, and should never be changed.

And besides, Philhar may have better effects, but Muppets is much more entertaining.

As for the Great Movie ride..... seriously has ANYONE ever seen a Buzby Berkly film?? Certainly not the 19 yo "driving" the ride.

Yes, some of us that enjoy classic movies have seen them.

Besides, what would you like to replace it? Some of the crap that comes out nowadays? No thank you.

Duckberg

Dhs

They have TERRIFIC Art Deco street building facades NOW they just need a little more going on behind those facades Duckberg :cool:

_Scar

Yes, some of us that enjoy classic movies have seen them.

Besides, what would you like to replace it? Some of the crap that comes out nowadays? No thank you.

Why can't there be modern classics like The Lion King, Star Wars, Titanic, Nightmare Before Christmas. And forgotten classics like Snow White/Peter Pan.

:shrug:

It's getting fixed?

Yup, in my eyes. I can't wait to finally be able to want to go to Fantasyland. :)

SirGoofy

Why can't there be modern classics like The Lion King, Star Wars, Titanic, Nightmare Before Christmas. And forgotten classics like Snow White/Peter Pan.

A) It's not The Great Disney Movie ride. Most of those are already represented in the Disney parks.

B) Titanic is not a classic.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom