DHS 35th

PREMiERdrum

They’ve used it for other things as well. It’s very clear that Disney has no intention of ever bringing back this merch location. And honestly unless they choose to diversify their merch offerings soon, there’s really no need anyway.
A dead 360-degree store smack dab in the middle of the part of the park that desperately needs *something*. Right now, Grand Ave serves little purpose beyond a place to drink overpriced drafts while awaiting your LightningLane return time. As jumbled as the Hollywood Blvd's east side shops are, they could absolutely split out a store concept for this location.

MagicHappens1971

A dead 360-degree store smack dab in the middle of the part of the park that desperately needs *something*. Right now, Grand Ave serves little purpose beyond a place to drink overpriced drafts while awaiting your LightningLane return time. As jumbled as the Hollywood Blvd's west side shops are, they could absolutely split out a store concept for this location.
My point was that there is very little merch they could put here that isn’t already available elsewhere in the park. No purpose of staffing and maintaining inventory for this location.

ToTBellHop

A dead 360-degree store smack dab in the middle of the part of the park that desperately needs *something*. Right now, Grand Ave serves little purpose beyond a place to drink overpriced drafts while awaiting your LightningLane return time. As jumbled as the Hollywood Blvd's east side shops are, they could absolutely split out a store concept for this location.
I just want an actual bakery back!

PREMiERdrum

My point was that there is very little merch they could put here that isn’t already available elsewhere in the park. No purpose of staffing and maintaining inventory for this location.
I see what you're saying, but DHS has the most concentrated and least themeatically-organized merchandise offerings on property.

The selection of toys and plush there is inferior to any other domestic Disney park, and they have a huge location just begging for life. Do a toy concept there with plush, transportation, figures, Marvel etc, open the doors on all 4 sides, and be done with it.

MagicHappens1971

I see what you're saying, but DHS has the most concentrated and least themeatically-organized merchandise offerings on property.

The selection of toys and plush there is inferior to any other domestic Disney park, and they have a huge location just begging for life. Do a toy concept there with plush, transportation, figures, Marvel etc, open the doors on all 4 sides, and be done with it.
Oh yeah. I think merch has just gone way down hill in general. I very rarely buy anything anymore, I used to buy at least 1-2 things a trip.

WDWs merch offerings are in desperate need of an overhaul, one that includes diversifying

Animaniac93-98

Happy 35th anniversary to The Disney-MGM Studios.

To The Great Movie Ride, Catastrophe Canyon, the OG Muppet Crew, the animation staff who made so many animated movies possible, the MMC kids, Adventures in Wonderland, the kitschy restaurants and shows and everything else that made "the Hollywood that never was and always will be"

You were a strange, underbuilt park, that never really got the whole studio things to work, but you gave us Tower of Terror and helped launch some actual entertainment careers. If nothing else, you had a lot of shows and were not like the rest of WDW.

That's more that can be said about the Star Wars/Toy Story park that exists now with less to do between rides.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Oh yeah. I think merch has just gone way down hill in general. I very rarely buy anything anymore, I used to buy at least 1-2 things a trip.

WDWs merch offerings are in desperate need of an overhaul, one that includes diversifying
That’s kind of the most baffling aspect of the Chapek era. The studios decline kind of makes sense given it was out of his wheelhouse. But consumer products was his core competency and the merch has been so generic and uninspired since he took over.

TrainsOfDisney

Happy 35th anniversary to The Disney-MGM Studios.

To The Great Movie Ride, Catastrophe Canyon, the OG Muppet Crew, the animation staff who made so many animated movies possible, the MMC kids, Adventures in Wonderland, the kitschy restaurants and shows and everything else that made "the Hollywood that never was and always will be"

You were a strange, underbuilt park, that never really got the whole studio things to work, but you gave us Tower of Terror and helped launch some actual entertainment careers. If nothing else, you had a lot of shows and were not like rest of WDW.

That's more that can be said about the Star Wars/Toy Story park that exists now with less to do between rides.
Very well said….

For unique reasons, the Disney MGM Studios park was actually the first Disney park I ever visited (we also visited MK and Epcot on that trip, but we started at MGM) - I still remember Sounds Dangerous and the animation studio tour and of course the original studio tour with catastrophe canyon which may have been my favorite thing at Disney on that first trip.

Later I’d grow up watching the citizens of Hollywood, Hollywood public works, comedy warehouse holiday special and see the Osborne lights.

That park was so quirky - I miss it.

Note - on my last visit to Disney world I spent at day there - I watched Indiana jones for nostalgia, waited forever to ride slinky, Had a perfect lunch at brown derby and ended with seeing the new Fantasmic. The park is still enjoyable of course…. But I do miss the original!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I still feel like I’m 10-years old every time I turn down Sunset toward what I still find to be WDIs greatest achievement in Florida. I love some of the more recent builds, but my Tower is still tops for me. I can’t believe it turns 30 in a couple months!
Agreed. It’s the last standing near-perfect WDI creation. I could stand in the queue easily for an hour and enjoy it all.

peng

This is why they should have had Peter Linz who does the voice of Walter also voice Kermit..He voices Ernie..

I've seen multiple youtubers who could do a better kermit too (though I do agree with you on that). Surprised they did some custom muppet stuff, even if said custom stuff totaled around a minute (then again, Disney isn't using the muppets for much these days, honestly they should sell them back to the Hensons or another party at this point).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Tower on the east and Indy on the west were the last true WDI masterpieces with Radiator Springs Racers as close consideration.
I'd have a very difficult time arguing against any of that. Radiator Springs in general was just so well done as an area.

Rise has an impressive queue but it feels like a queue with props in it. The Tower queue feels like you're walking around on the grounds of the hotel. It's my happy place, one of the last left in the entire property. In fact, I'm going to go listen to the queue loop right now.

aladdin2007

I'd have a very difficult time arguing against any of that. Radiator Springs in general was just so well done as an area.

Rise has an impressive queue but it feels like a queue with props in it. The Tower queue feels like you're walking around on the grounds of the hotel. It's my happy place, one of the last left in the entire property. In fact, I'm going to go listen to the queue loop right now.
going to do the same after reading that,,, is there any source audio somewhere from the hercules parade and the loop from sids?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
going to do the same after reading that,,, is there any source audio somewhere from the hercules parade and the loop from sids?
I'm not aware of any audio available from Sid's. Others probably know more than I do. Mousebits has the Hercules 'Zero to Hero' parade as part of the WDW40 - MGM-DHS collection. It could be available elsewhere, I've never looked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom