DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

lazyboy97o

I wouldn't blame the hat for that either though since Mickey sorcerer hats are probably among the higher sold items at Disney. I don't know that for a fact, but I would imagine they're far better off than other things. I do agree with you though that WDW merchandise is too generic. There is little to no creativity in any of the merchandise currently available outside of the World Showcase.
We're getting into an area where we will be lacking in data, but I think that the popularity of Sorcerer Mickey would cause people to cut back on purchases as it kills the uniqueness of the two lines.

flavious27

Agreed, it's pretty crazy. Wasn't trying to tell you about your business, just musing on the inevitable breakdown in threads for controversial topics. This could be a thread about the Imagination Pavilion, Stitch's Great Escape, or the Adventurer's Club, and it would be the same story: a vitriolic chorus of complaint punctuated by a few posts defending the subject under attack, and occasionally trolls poking people with a stick.

For a fun twist, this thread had lots of pictures to spice it up!

I love the internet.

Pictures make internet threads what they are.

Let's think about this better, which icon sells merchandise better? A water tower to a closed studio or a hat that represents the icon of WDW, Mickey Mouse? Which one will result in more of those photo pass pictures taken at the park entrance? Which one is currently in a convenient location? Which one is more recognizable?

Answer those questions and then from a business stance, answer: which icon would be better for business?

I love the Hollywood feel and it (Hollywood Blvd) does fit the theme of the park by far, but I doubt we'll ever get the old view back. If they do anything to the hat, it'll probably be replaced with something else. WDW is all about money. Icons sell merchandise and some more than others. If I could rank icon merchandise sales I'd guess it's like this: Castle, SSE, Hat, ToL, ... Water Tower.

I'm not saying the hat won't go down, but I doubt they'll go back to the water tower as an icon. It's not a good business decision, IMO.

Well they could be selling these shirts.

buckleimagineer.png

As many people that hate the hat as there are, why not just put the hat in a different location somewhere in the World? There has to be someplace that the hat could go...

I agree, though I think that moving it to the front of dhs would work, along with a redevelopment of the area west of sunset blvd.

pumpkin7

i don't really like or dislike the hat. it's a bit big and in your face, and i much prefer the earful tower. they should have just moved that into the spot if they desperately needed to put something on that plaza.
it's just annoying that it's a massive pin trading post, and ruins the biggest hidden mickey in the parks. o and the view down the boulevard which i have never experienced :(

What happened to the Earful Tower?

you can catch a glimpse of it if you take the backlot tour, but you can't really get a decent photo.

User

Today is the 15th anniversary of WDWMAGIC. It is also the 78th anniversary of the release of "Mickey's Gala Premier[e]". That short made me wonder about the Chinese Theatre after a move of the Hat. Should the Theatre continue to have pretty much the same look as now, or should it have a "movie premiere" look added to it? Additionally, what should that "movie premiere" look be that would complement the Hollywood Blvd. and Great Movie Ride themes?

aladdin2007

Today is the 15th anniversary of WDWMAGIC. It is also the 78th anniversary of the release of "Mickey's Gala Premier[e]". That short made me wonder about the Chinese Theatre after a move of the Hat. Should the Theatre continue to have pretty much the same look as now, or should it have a "movie premiere" look added to it? Additionally, what should that "movie premiere" look be that would complement the Hollywood Blvd. and Great Movie Ride themes?

Interesting thought, what comes to my mind is how about the Great Movie Ride sponsored by Turner Classic Movies, with a well done premier theme out front and new special exhibits inside, and new film at the end hosted by Robert Osborne of course. Also with it would come a ride refurbishment with a new scene or two, something in place of Alien, and Fantasia. Actually would like to see the Fantasia scene redone to how it was meant to be, the tornado in Kansas, and then your in Oz. :wave:

stelledelmare

Interesting thought, what comes to my mind is how about the Great Movie Ride sponsored by Turner Classic Movies, with a well done premier theme out front and new special exhibits inside, and new film at the end hosted by Robert Osborne of course. Also with it would come a ride refurbishment with a new scene or two, something in place of Alien, and Fantasia. Actually would like to see the Fantasia scene redone to how it was meant to be, the tornado in Kansas, and then your in Oz. :wave:

Having it sponsored by Turner Classic Movies would be a perfect fit for the Great Movie Ride. I've never thought of that before but now that you mention it, it's perfect. I definitely think they need some new things in the queue as well and if they did add new scenes that would also mean new movie trailers in the queue as well which would be great. I've always felt they should do the chocolate room scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory but then again considering all the things that go on in that scene, it would probably be even more expensive and complicated than Oz but it would be cool if they could do it.

FigmentJedi

I'm thinking to fill the Sci-Fi niche and throw in an old classic at the same time, why not replace Alien with the squid fight from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

HMF

Having it sponsored by Turner Classic Movies would be a perfect fit for the Great Movie Ride. I've never thought of that before but now that you mention it, it's perfect. I definitely think they need some new things in the queue as well and if they did add new scenes that would also mean new movie trailers in the queue as well which would be great. I've always felt they should do the chocolate room scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory but then again considering all the things that go on in that scene, it would probably be even more expensive and complicated than Oz but it would be cool if they could do it.

Turner owns most of the movies anyway.

Sam Magic

If they take down the hat, that's enough celebration for me. Hell I would not even care if they added new rides or not, as long as that damn hat comes down. If it does fall I'm planning a group trip to see it, who is coming?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom