Determining the Best WDW Resort

jlsHouston

I've stayed at Beach Club as well. It's not as nice as the Yacht Club, though, in my opinion. Never eaten at Cape May, though I haven't heard very good things about it. Everytime you would pass, it would smell like a high school cafeteria. A seafood buffet... Yuck. Always seems very noisy, too. Can't judge it, though, I've never eaten, although I have no desire to. I don't mean to sound so negative. :confused: You might love it, so it doesn't hurt to try.

Well...the Cape May breakfast buffet with characters is one of my favs....however the seafood one in the evening....the smell should have been enough to warn me out of there....Crab legs over done where you couldn't break the shells properly to remove the meat...I hate that. I mean we eat fish alot.. we go to oyster bars where they are shucking a dozen every 3 minutes onto a platter right in front of you and plates of fried shrimp oysters and catfish coming off the line all served in tiny quarters to a packed diner and never had the fish smell like that.

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
I've eaten there for breakfast, it was actually really good and the characters dressed in their beach wear was so cute! We're staying at the Beach Club in May and I've made a reservation for dinner there, I've never tried it for dinner, so I figured we're staying there, why not give it a shot? The menu doesn't look too bad.

No I do..even though I love them both as well. It seems whenever I stay at POFQ I like that more and whenver I stay at POR I like that more. What I like about POFQ is the outside decor. The streets between the buildings are my favorite. It's just so peaceful walking around there at night feels like you're in a little town of some sort. But I like the overall room theming and area of POR. I've stayed in the Alligator Bayou section which is my favorite! And I just recently stayed in a Princess Room (which I love the Princesses so it was right up my alley!) It was just so amazingly themed, I couldn't get over it. Plus with the great service at the River Roost Lounge and Yeehaa Bob it can't be beat!
I booked Cape May for dinner in May too! I just booked it earlier today! I'm so excited! Alligator Bayou is my favorite as well. I stayed in the princess rooms for a pretty good amount of time, and I just felt magical staying there. ;) I love how the rooms are in a good part of the resort; Kinda in between.

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
It's been some time since I've eaten there but it's always been good in the past. I once had a steamed clam eating contest with my brother there. I lost even though I ate over 100 clams. It's was fun. We had a running tally of how many clams we ate right on the paper tablecloth.
Sounds awesome! I booked a dinner reservation there when I visit in May (since i'm staying right next door at Yacht). Anything you recommend? Or were you too stuffed with clams? ;)

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
I agree with everything you just said...although not a huge fan of Jiko. LOL. One of my most favorite things at AKL is the African music they play throughout the resort. Listening to the drums and soft music just puts the icing on the cake for me.
I absolutely love the fire pits. Sitting at the one indoors and smelling Boma is so... relaxing. :joyfull: Another special treat is when you can go outside at night and view the animals through the night-vision goggles.

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
I have yet to see anyone mention Old Key West. We are considering a 2 bedroom there and bringing the "rents" with us. Has anyone had positive (or negative) experiences they would be willing to share?
It's nothing special, but I like dinning at Olivia's. When I wasn't piscatarian, I recall their fried chicken being very good.

Last edited:

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
Well...the Cape May breakfast buffet with characters is one of my favs....however the seafood one in the evening....the smell should have been enough to warn me out of there....Crab legs over done where you couldn't break the shells properly to remove the meat...I hate that. I mean we eat fish alot.. we go to oyster bars where they are shucking a dozen every 3 minutes onto a platter right in front of you and plates of fried shrimp oysters and catfish coming off the line all served in tiny quarters to a packed diner and never had the fish smell like that.
Oh goodness... We'll see when I go. How long ago was this? ...Disney has continued to step up their game in food.

jlsHouston

Oh goodness... We'll see when I go. How long ago was this? ...Disney has continued to step up their game in food.

Thanksgiving week...the kids and I went there for dinner on a Friday night...I was disappointed in the crab legs...but we had Cape May character breakfast there on Thanksgiving day morning and it was wonderful as usual...

Sparkle81

I'm just starting out on my journey around the resort hotels. Have only done the Dolphin and Saratoga Springs Resort so far, and I have to say that we loved SSR. Beautiful grounds, peaceful, lovely rooms & good bus service. Wonderful CMs too. Staying at Wilderness Lodge on our next trip which I'm really looking forward to. Contemporary is on my DH's bucket list, and AKL is on mine. We both fancy trying Poly one day and also Yacht Club when DS is a bit older and will appreciate the location.

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
Thanksgiving week...the kids and I went there for dinner on a Friday night...I was disappointed in the crab legs...but we had Cape May character breakfast there on Thanksgiving day morning and it was wonderful as usual...
Alright, thanks! I'm going to do more research, and possibly change to a breakfast reservation.

CheshireCat12

Now I have been lucky enough to stay at every WDW hotel. Though what I want to here from you guys is your all time favorite hotel, and why. Is because of the restaurant? The room? The atmosphere? Maybe even the view? I really want to know everyone's opinions on the matter!
OK, let it be known that I'm officially GREEN with envy!
I've stayed at or visited only a handful of resorts but I would say the most impressive was the Wilderness Lodge. The decor, the landscaping, and the way I felt so far away from FL when I was there. It really took it to another level.

I've been converted. My trip in May is already booked for the CBR. With the WL getting so much love in this thread I am going to have to look into staying there for my trip with the fam in September.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Well, I will be the first to say Old Key West. It is our favorite. Most laid-back, relaxed, quiet resort on site. Nicely centered with about 5-10 minutes to MK, HS, and Epcot. Staff is absolutely wonderful. Rooms are larger than comparable rooms at other resorts. I've stayed at CBR, CR, All-Stars, POR, SS, BC, BW, AKL, and OKW.

In our experience, the hotel-style resorts (CR, All-Star, POR, SS, BC, BW, and AKL) all tend to be a bit noisy compared to CBR and OKW. While OKW doesn't have a great restaurant or amazing pool, both are nice. The parks are where we find our constant stimuli. We find that after a morning of park touring, the relaxed atmosphere of OKW is perfect for napping and since we tend to drive everywhere, the spread out layout isn't too difficult to deal with.

John

I could never just pick one resort as my "favorite" can we pick just one of our children? Even though I have only one.....LOL Seriously though most of the resorts have a special charm, they may have a special place in your heart....a memory. But so many are truly special. Some appeal to some people and may not to others.

I have stayed at many of the resorts. I have special memories with all my visits. I have no "favorite" but I do have my safe "go to" resort. POR or POFQ. Cant always afford a deluxe and when I don't have to stay at a Value because of the numbers of people in my group I always find myself going back to where I feel most comfortable. If I havnt stayed at a particular resort I have spent more then enough time at them to get a genuine feel for the place. As far as deluxe is concerned? It would be extremely hard to pick a favorite. WL has theming hands down....AKL has ambiance and where else in the United States can you stay and have a giraffe right outside your window? BW? Night life, great location and terrific amenities. CR? LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Poly? the resort has a little of everything....atmosphere, theming, food, location, entertainment and probably most of all nostalgia. Lastly the big daddy of them all....the Gran Flo, it isn't my cup of tea but it is a wonderful resort. One of the last places at WDW where cleanliness and service is job #1. One of the best restaurants in Florida. Yes it cost a lot but if you want to experience opulence at WDW at its best in WDW this is the place. SO I ask you....pick your favorite...Go ahead.

PartOfYourWorld

I booked Cape May for dinner in May too! I just booked it earlier today! I'm so excited! Alligator Bayou is my favorite as well. I stayed in the princess rooms for a pretty good amount of time, and I just felt magical staying there. ;) I love how the rooms are in a good part of the resort; Kinda in between.

Awesome! When is your reservation in May? I think ours is like the 12th or the 13th. And I figured if worse comes to worse theres always the kid section right??? I've just always wanted to try it, just to see. And I'd rather say I tried it and didn't care for it than not try it at all.

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
Awesome! When is your reservation in May? I think ours is like the 12th or the 13th. And I figured if worse comes to worse theres always the kid section right??? I've just always wanted to try it, just to see. And I'd rather say I tried it and didn't care for it than not try it at all.
Mine is booked on May 2nd, I might change it to April 30th (I'm gonna be up there for HS 25th).

FitzherbertFreak

Original Poster
As you all know, the main point of the discussion was to determine the best WDW resort based on all of your opinions. So here are the results so far: Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Saratoga Springs, and Old Key West all have received one vote so far. Boardwalk and Polynesian have received two votes, and Contemporary has received three. In the lead right now, Animal Kingdom Lodge has received four votes. However, four of you have also said that you cannot decide your favorite WDW resort. And I must admit, they are all wonderful! Overall though, Wilderness Lodge has been getting tons of buzz. A lot of you have been talking about your up and coming trips to WL, and I hope you have an awesome time! Involving all the resorts that haven't been mentioned, what's your opinion on them? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom