Destination D23 2021

Squishy

I also think there will be major pressure on this anniversary and the guest experience of this year - Disney’s getting another chance to make a first impression, and if they make a bad one it will likely affect them for the next 25 years.
Wouldn't say 25 years but yeah, they have to do something good before the wave of bored post pandemic tourists runs out.

jt04

This is EU currently, I think they have some time to respond. I’m excited for the new park and Disney’s response.

Realistically I could see Disney waiting until more concrete plans for EU emerge to announce something, and even then I could see them re-using some of the rumored 50th ride enhancements as a response. Outside of that, I would guess an expansion of Pandora, galaxy’s edge, or a finding Nemo musical / primeval whirl replacement being their response.

DAK a new land with anchor E ticket. Everything else focused on Epcot would make sense to me.

ppete1975

some things that they could announce... new shows... electric cars in the speedway (they already have them ready to go) stitch replacement, sse upgrades, moana details, more epcot details, parades, play pavillion,get everyone excited again for guardians and tron.. maybe some upgrades to tomorrowland, more info on splash/pof, mary poppins back on

that all would be cheap but behind a pr blitz sounds like a lot.... and isnt anything really added lol that we didnt know minus stitch

rioriz

At this point what could Disney even possibly, realistically announce to compete with epic universe?

We aren't getting a 5th gate, they are in cost cutting mode.

Only thing I expect is 2-3 Mary Poppins sized announcements and 1 big one like a new ride for Pandora or Galaxies Edge but neither as big of a ride as Guardians. Also, of what they announce at D23, half of it will get canceled eventually. Heck I wouldn't put it past them to announce something huge knowing full well it will never actually happen just to take steam away from Epic Universe.
My sentiments exactly. As long as epic Universe keeps getting pushed back we should not expect anything particularly huge from Disney World. Although I I would have bet on a Skyliner expansion until recently

MagicHappens1971

At this point what could Disney even possibly, realistically announce to compete with epic universe?

Only thing I expect is 2-3 Mary Poppins sized announcements and 1 big one like a new ride for Pandora or Galaxies Edge but neither as big of a ride as Guardians. Also, of what they announce at D23, half of it will get canceled eventually. Heck I wouldn't put it past them to announce something huge knowing full well it will never actually happen just to take steam away from Epic Universe.
A fifth gate wouldn’t even make sense as we’ve discussed across countless threads on this forum, majoring plussings to the four existing parks could help compete with Epic Universe, like WWoHP did for UOR.

MagicHappens1971

Did a 3rd park make sense in 1989?
My point was, that the parks themselves today are not fleshed out enough. This point has been made a million times but DCA & DL have more attractions than all 4 WDW parks combined. Building a fifth park right now, would just be a waste of resources, in my opinion. Replace Dino-Land USA, flesh out another country in AK, replace Rafikis Planet Watch, build another land/more attractions in the Star Tours/Indiana Jones Stunt Show footprint @ DHS, as well as taking over animation courtyard and building another land/more attractions there. All of that as well as adding a few more attractions to Epcot in World Showcase, as well as rehabbing the Imagination Pavilion, etc. Expansions in Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, as well as rehabs/refreshes to Fantasyland. I could go on and on. All of those things would bring in more guests to the parks, sell more hoppers and keep guests there longer to make sure they experience everything new that there is to offer. Building a half-baked 5th gate when the rest of the parks could desperately use some TLC is foolish right now and is not the answer to combatting Epic Universe. Obviously this is all just my opinion, I’m no theme park exec

TTA94

some things that they could announce... new shows... electric cars in the speedway (they already have them ready to go) stitch replacement, sse upgrades, moana details, more epcot details, parades, play pavillion,get everyone excited again for guardians and tron.. maybe some upgrades to tomorrowland, more info on splash/pof, mary poppins back on

that all would be cheap but behind a pr blitz sounds like a lot.... and isnt anything really added lol that we didnt know minus stitch

Yeah I agree on that stuff. I’m sure they won’t announce anything to major or to much we have not heard about. I strongly think if a parade of some sort were to come out of this and there was any truth to the speculation and rumors of a borrowed light parade, this is when they would announce something like that. Not before hand. Which would obviously put a “new” parade debuting for Spring or Summer 2022. It makes perfect sense to have this happen when Tron opens plus another addition to the 50th Anniversary year.

TrainsOfDisney

My point was, that the parks themselves today are not fleshed out enough. This point has been made a million times but DCA & DL have more attractions than all 4 WDW parks combined. Building a fifth park right now, would just be a waste of resources, in my opinion. Replace Dino-Land USA, flesh out another country in AK, replace Rafikis Planet Watch, build another land/more attractions in the Star Tours/Indiana Jones Stunt Show footprint @ DHS, as well as taking over animation courtyard and building another land/more attractions there. All of that as well as adding a few more attractions to Epcot in World Showcase, as well as rehabbing the Imagination Pavilion, etc. Expansions in Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, as well as rehabs/refreshes to Fantasyland. I could go on and on. All of those things would bring in more guests to the parks, sell more hoppers and keep guests there longer to make sure they experience everything new that there is to offer. Building a half-baked 5th gate when the rest of the parks could desperately use some TLC is foolish right now and is not the answer to combatting Epic Universe. Obviously this is all just my opinion, I’m no theme park exec

I agree and I don’t think they will build a 5th gate but they chose to build a half-baked 3rd gate when Epcot needed more attention as well. Why? Because of universal.

Homemade Imagineering

I predict we see:
  • Zootopia at Animal Kingdom
  • 5th Gate
  • 6th Gate
  • Figment --> Inside Out
  • Resort-wide transportation
  • WandaVision Carousel of Progress
  • Stark Industries PeopleMover
  • "It's a Small World" Tangled Retheme
  • India, Brazil, South Africa, Wakanda, and Indiana Jones Land in World Showcase.
🤣

Or maybe that's just a figment of my imagination ;)
Don’t give them ideas…

SirLink

I could think of projects that are sitting on a shelf if they were to be announced would create waves. The real question would be is it realistic to announce new capex projects when they wouldn't get built. They have rides, lands, restaurants and cruise ships they have to finish.

ppete1975

I could think of projects that are sitting on a shelf if they were to be announced would create waves. The real question would be is it realistic to announce new capex projects when they wouldn't get built. They have rides, lands, restaurants and cruise ships they have to finish.
well speed of disney, i wouldnt expect anything announced to open until 2026 at the earliest regardless of capex or the current environment. They really need to announce whats coming next since we know it takes 4 years to do anything, outside of an overlay. But i would expect that to be announced next year at a real D23 event with everything closer to normal. Speedway going electric with cars they already have or something put into stitch seems plausible.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is where we get our big announcement/new info about Splash Mountain. Since D23 was called off last year I'm assuming that's where they wanted to drop the news, but got caught in the whirlwind of last year and dropped the news then. At the very least I do think they mention it.

TTA94

I’m thinking:

•New FP system
•Something else for Tomorrowland (besides Tron)
•Opening dates for Tron and Guardians
•Updates on Epcots makeover
•F! changes/opening date
•Some type of parade for 2022

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom