Destination D23 2021

BrowncatP

I am a D23 gold member but have never been to a D23 event like this.
Is it worth going to?
Can someone give a brief description of what they were in the past so I would kind of know what to expect?
My thx!
2014-Was based on the attractions Disney had at the 1964 World's Fair. 2016-Nature theme(Amazing Adventures.) 2018-Mickey's 90 birthday. Each Destination D has been theme based. Much more relaxed that the Expo.

TrainsOfDisney

I went to the 2014 Destination D and loved it. During the day it’s mostly presentations on that year’s theme / topic. Also a few things on exhibit like old reside vehicles, artwork etc.

And of course a special shopping opportunity!

There’s usually a big presentation one night as well. In 2014 it was a Pleasure Island reunion with Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club performances.

fishpatrick

Destination D23 tickets will go on sale in July . . . any guesses about how much we will be asked to pay for those tickets if we want to attend the event? Single-day, two or three-day passes?

Last edited:

Disneyson

I went to the 2014 Destination D and loved it. During the day it’s mostly presentations on that year’s theme / topic. Also a few things on exhibit like old reside vehicles, artwork etc.

And of course a special shopping opportunity!

There’s usually a big presentation one night as well. In 2014 it was a Pleasure Island reunion with Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club performances.
This is absolutely right. During my year, they had a mix of smaller presentations (historians discussing the design of the Polynesian, as well as the infamous wave machine), larger presentations that were rather hollow (discussions on how Animal Kingdom was re-designed for the nighttime), and partnerships with products and animation (a Moana panel).

Usually, as noted above, there are one or two “evening events” that are a surprise cherry on top of the proceedings, as well as a gift. During my year, they showed a pre-screening of Moana on the beach of the Poly, along with the debut of the Moana face character. They also gave us a (brand new at the time) MagicBand 2 with a Nighttime Safaris fastpass loaded onto it. I think they would have done an exclusive advance showing of Rivers Of Light if the boats hadn’t kept crashing into one another. In previous years this event has been a Mickey and Minnie Pajama Party with characters, snacks, and cartoons.

I suspect that this year they may do some sort of thing with one of the Epcot attractions, depending on how far along they are, or else they might preview some other nostalgia-based content, like, IDK, a Figment something.

We also got to go on one of the awesome next-gen show busses, which are likely a prototype of what we’re seeing at Galaxy’s Edge.

Expect several small announcements, perhaps one medium one, one or two free goodies, a very little Archives exhibit, lots of wonderful Merch, and let yourself be surprised by the evening events so that you don’t get disappointed. I’m going myself, setting expectations at the same level as previous years.

In all likelihood, the theme with be “50th”.

Last edited:

TTA94

If you purchase a gold membership is that good for you and someone else to purchase tickets for D23? Or does each person need a membership?

zachrupertdsn

This is EU currently, I think they have some time to respond. I’m excited for the new park and Disney’s response.

Realistically I could see Disney waiting until more concrete plans for EU emerge to announce something, and even then I could see them re-using some of the rumored 50th ride enhancements as a response. Outside of that, I would guess an expansion of Pandora, galaxy’s edge, or a finding Nemo musical / primeval whirl replacement being their response.

nickys

Premium Member
If this had been during the Summer sometime I’d think they would be releasing lots of details about the Galactic StarCruiser experience.

They still could of course, but they’ve said that booking will open later this year, which wouldn’t leave a lot of time after D23.

TTA94

You can get the Gold Family membership which covers yourself and 3 others.

Thinking about it. They have a duo plan for two apparently. $129.99. My next question is how much is the actual event? lol. This combined with the cost of After Hours events… oof lol. Yet I wanna go lol. Decisions Decisions 🤔.

Disneyson

Disney is instituting a park reservation system to keep guests out.

They're not worried about what EU is doing.
*to keep the illusion of exclusivity.

I think that each time they “raise capacity”, it’s done so that websites like this one flood their front page with this “news”, brainwashing us all into thinking that the parks are more exclusive than ever. When I read any Disney news site, I often see 1/3 of the page is merch, 1/3 of the page is “SOLD OUT” or “NEW TICKETS”, and the remainder is a stray food review or, even more seldom, a concrete update on an in-park experience…

But anyways. I like that they changed the name from Destination D to Destination D23. Too many jokes to be made about “Destination D”.

Dan Deesnee

Disney is instituting a park reservation system to keep guests out.

They're not worried about what EU is doing.

Disney is 100% interested in what is happening with EU, and I'm not sure I would use the term worried but definitely concerned.

Why is this an obvious fact? Well because universal has been catching up to Disney in the years leading up to the pandemic. You never want to let second place overtake you.

Disney absolutely must respond to EU in a meaningful way.

TYOTimer

Disney is 100% interested in what is happening with EU, and I'm not sure I would use the term worried but definitely concerned.

Why is this an obvious fact? Well because universal has been catching up to Disney in the years leading up to the pandemic. You never want to let second place overtake you.

Disney absolutely must respond to EU in a meaningful way.
The question now, is will Disney be willing to use the Disney+ revenue in the parks? And the signs right now, at least in the short term, is that they aren’t.

Dan Deesnee

The question now, is will Disney be willing to use the Disney+ revenue in the parks? And the signs right now, at least in the short term, is that they aren’t.

D23 will be pretty telling. If Universal goes all out on EU advertising next year (Disney likely knows at least some of what they have planned) then we might get some big announcements from Disney this year.

Both parks are in a vulnerable position and need to attract long-term guests. Disney is not stupid enough to think that everyone is flocking back to the parks because ratatouille opens this year and they'll have 50th anniversary cupcakes. They know that there is simply short-term pent-up vacation demand and they also know that they need heavy hitter announcements and attracting to boost crowds in late 2022 and beyond

TTA94

I guess this will give us a idea of what to expect for pricing. Liking a price increase.

Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse event happening at Disney’s Contemporary Resort November 17-18, 2018, celebrating 90 years of Mickey Mouse. Tickets will go on sale beginning Thursday, April 12th at 10:00AM for the Mouseketeer VIP Level: $1,300 per person and 11:00AM for Gold and Gold Family Members: $215 per person.

Disneyson

I also think there will be major pressure on this anniversary and the guest experience of this year - Disney’s getting another chance to make a first impression, and if they make a bad one it will likely affect them for the next 25 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom