Destination D details released

asianway

Original Poster
$50 Star Wars breakfast. $200 Pleasure Island museum. I guess the Spirit wasn't wrong about the flood of upcharge events to pay for Magic Bands.
If you are so inclined you would need to wait in four 1 hour lines in the scorching May sun to meet the VIPs in those outfits. Considering that, I don't know it's such a bad deal. <--realizes I'm a failure because I know this

tissandtully

Looks like this was rescheduled from July to November.

https://d23.com/d23-events/d23-destination-d-attraction-rewind/

The thing people shouldnt be complaining about is the $1000 premium price tag.

Its that TWDC PR department is going to make the costs to put on this event look like chump change when they comp all the mommy bloggers at their upcoming *****-up.

$1000 for a private Carousel of Progress viewing. Funny, every time I'm on CoP it is a private viewing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Looks like this was rescheduled from July to November.

https://d23.com/d23-events/d23-destination-d-attraction-rewind/

The thing people shouldnt be complaining about is the $1000 premium price tag.

Its that TWDC PR department is going to make the costs to put on this event look like chump change when they comp all the mommy bloggers at their upcoming *****-up.

How to drain the Fanboi's pockets, But based on the description of the event it's a real yawner Yesterland has more details than this does, For a kilobuck ticket you get some chocolate swag, Excuse me while I RUN AWAY SCREAMING.

TinkerBell9988

$50 Star Wars breakfast. $200 Pleasure Island museum. I guess the Spirit wasn't wrong about the flood of upcharge events to pay for Magic Bands.

You understand that D23 has nothing to do with TDO or the way that MagicBands are financed, correct?

All of these are separate business units with different budgets, and the money cannot be shared. MagicBands, FP+, MyMagic, MyDisneyExperience... All TDO. D23 is run from Burbank under Corporate Communications.

71jason

You understand that D23 has nothing to do with TDO or the way that MagicBands are financed, correct?

All of these are separate business units with different budgets, and the money cannot be shared. MagicBands, FP+, MyMagic, MyDisneyExperience... All TDO. D23 is run from Burbank under Corporate Communications.

So they're just insanely greedy on their own? Is that really your defense of this?

flynnibus

Premium Member

and you should realize D23 doesn't own the parks nor have carte blanche to use them. When D23 collects a pile of money to run such private events on WDW property.. you don't think TDO is demanding 'fees' from them? Think TDO is going to sit by and say "please sell access to my resources for whatever you want... we don't care and will support you in anyway you want for free"???

TP2000

What the heck does America Sings have to do with Walt Disney World?!? :confused:

And how many Disney fans living east of the Rockies, or born after 1975, even know what America Sings is?!?

If you live east of Denver, do these guys look familiar? Yeah, I didn't think so. :cool:
America+Sings+Act+4+Rooster%252C+Stork%252C+Porcupine.jpg

This would be like having an exhibit on the history of renting Water Sprites on the Seven Seas Lagoon, but holding it on a dock at Disneyland's Rivers of America.

This latest Destination D offering at WDW, about the only thing D23 does any more beyond Anaheim, seems particularly pointless. And more than a little sad.

Last edited:

wendysue

I was a charter member of D23, but this year I am not going to renew. There is no point. All the events are too far away and cost WAY too much! Likewise any of the merchandise online...

MickeyPeace

I was a charter member of D23, but this year I am not going to renew. There is no point. All the events are too far away and cost WAY too much! Likewise any of the merchandise online...
Same here. I didn't renew about 6 months ago and I don't miss it at all. I never went to any events, bought any merch and got bored with the magazine which went from being about the parks to promoting the latest film.
Anyone want to buy a back catalogue?

asianway

Original Poster
Really, Most events are $200+ and you get nothing except peeks at stuff TWDC discontinued decades ago. I am underwhelmed with D23 It seems to be a vehicle by which TWDC mocks the fanboi's and lifestylers without them realizing they are being mocked.
At the last one, there was a Robert Sherman concert. This one has some kind of PI nightclub recreation. That kind of stuff isn't cheap. This is a world where a park ticket is $100.

Parks & Resorts is never going to do this kind of thing(well maybe for their hand picked blogging corps), so it's this or nothing.

prberk

I love the New York World's Fair memorial concept, but the priciness of it all is off-putting.

I did see that they are offering a sweepstakes for the free membership members... a free ticket with accommodations at Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort... and no airfare included. It must say something about the cost of Disney's own accommodations when their business units can't afford to offer Disney accommodations to attend an event at the Contemporary. LOL.

WDWFigment

and you should realize D23 doesn't own the parks nor have carte blanche to use them. When D23 collects a pile of money to run such private events on WDW property.. you don't think TDO is demanding 'fees' from them? Think TDO is going to sit by and say "please sell access to my resources for whatever you want... we don't care and will support you in anyway you want for free"???

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that one weekend worth of rentals from WDW (in spaces that might have been rented by an outside organization if not by D23) really can be connected to the "flood of upcharge events to pay for Magic Bands."

You can parse words if you like, but the fact remains that this event and its pricing are not a result of the cost of Magic Bands.

I certainly don't think D23 is a perfectly-run organization (far from it), but when they put on ambitious events for a small number of attendees, the costs aren't going to be cheap. Especially when they have to deal with other arms of the company that may not exactly be cooperative with them.

The people I know in D23 are genuinely passionate fans of the parks and put tons of effort into these events because of said passion. They certainly are not stuffed suits somehow using the events to mock fans.

prberk

I actually would like to see this event, but the whole thing is just amazingly expensive, as are most D23 things, considering that they already own the facilities as a company.

And as I said in another thread, I think the 1964 World's Fair was pivotal for Disney and for Walt Disney World in particulare (especially EPCOT). D23 or not, I would like to see them do a television special about Disney's connection to the Fair (and the things that came out of it)...

DougK

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that one weekend worth of rentals from WDW (in spaces that might have been rented by an outside organization if not by D23) really can be connected to the "flood of upcharge events to pay for Magic Bands."

You can parse words if you like, but the fact remains that this event and its pricing are not a result of the cost of Magic Bands.

I certainly don't think D23 is a perfectly-run organization (far from it), but when they put on ambitious events for a small number of attendees, the costs aren't going to be cheap. Especially when they have to deal with other arms of the company that may not exactly be cooperative with them.

The people I know in D23 are genuinely passionate fans of the parks and put tons of effort into these events because of said passion. They certainly are not stuffed suits somehow using the events to mock fans.

Tom, I agree with you 100%. Nobody complains more about Disney's prices than I do when the complaint is justified, such as the prices of WDW's hotel rooms, but these special events are expensive for a reason. They are limited in size and also always very well done. I am hoping to be able to go to this event. I do wish the $1000 Top Of The World ticket was for two people though. I will have to stick with the "cheap" $190 tickets!

asianway

Original Poster

I'm with you on this one. I personally have no use for the "cry in our beer" type of events d23 has been putting on, but for what they are, they do a decent job. I'd rather have something unique along the lines of the old Disneyana Conventions. I'm sure those events would be priced at $10,000 if they had them today

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom