Destination D details released

Bairstow

If you live east of Denver, do these guys look familiar? Yeah, I didn't think so. :cool:
America+Sings+Act+4+Rooster%252C+Stork%252C+Porcupine.jpg

One of them does.

4050092715_987a6177b4.jpg

Swfewrmco

Have to say I'm a little surprised they didn't sell out yet. Now available for free members
I think they have room for 1,100 or so attendees. Hate to say it, but seeing D23 caters to California residents, the feasibility of west coasters flying out to Florida the weekend before Thanksgiving probably lowers attendance.

asianway

Original Poster
Ummmm, this still didnt sell out?

Certainly better than a dessert party, and we know how well those sell.

There really is no hope

mikenatcity1

I think they have room for 1,100 or so attendees. Hate to say it, but seeing D23 caters to California residents, the feasibility of west coasters flying out to Florida the weekend before Thanksgiving probably lowers attendance.

I'm the complete opposite...I am flying to CA that same weekend or else I'd be going to it (was really excited that a D23 event like this was on the east coast, of course I have to pick that same weekend to head to DL).

Figments Friend

Here is one fans perspective.

When it was announced a few months ago that Tony Baxter was to be involved in this, and do a special presentation all about his cherished *Discovery Bay* concept, i actually seriously considered possibly going.
As a big fan of both the man and that concept, it was tempting.
This would have been my main reason to attend such a gathering.
A part of me wishes i could be there just to see that ....

However, as much as i would love to see him present this in person.... several factors are keeping me away, the primary one being the costs involved to not only get there, but just to attend the Event.
So the primary deterrent is the price tag to attend.

Add into that the timing ....the Event takes place the weekend before Thanksgiving in the US.
Getting time off during that time of the year can be challenging for some, which may be why this Event is not yet a *sell out*.
If it had been re-scheduled earlier in the month instead of that pre-Holiday weekend, i am sure more would be able to attend and it likely would now be sold out.

I still give the D23 folks credit however for trying to bring these smaller fan Events to different parts of the country.
It is good that they are at least making an effort to try to *spread the love* elsewhere.

Last edited:

CSUFSteve

To each his own, respectfully, but I'm pretty excited about this event, actually.

My main reason for going is the Fair stuff. I had occasion to be in NYC a couple of months ago, and made it a point to head out to Flushing Meadows. I'm so glad I did, and came away with a different experience than I expected, based on photo essays I'd seen which make it seem forlorn and wasteland-like. While I probably would've gone anyway, knowing that this event was coming up made it a "research trip" in my mind... to set the proper context :) Sure, we've all seen the old Disneyland TV episode, but other than that, only bits and pieces for me. So I'm curious to see what they're planning for the whole day. This was all that was needed to get me there.

That said, way excited about Discovery Bay too, since that's my coast, and curious to hear if he'll interweave tales from its transition to DLP. While I can see how some wouldn't care to hear about America Sings if that's not the Park they have the affinity for, I honestly can't decide between the curiosity of hearing about FL's early attractions, which I know less about, or curiosity about what nuggets they might show from Walt's original.

So, I dunno, $200 for the event itself really doesn't seem bad to me. $100/day for all the presenters, sessions, "things" they'll have to crate from Glendale, rental space, etc? Having been exposed to how Disney divisions charge each other, I can't imagine the $200/head covers their costs, but I'm guessing they expect to make it up in merch sales, but a chunk of that probably goes back to Mickey's of Glendale. They obviously have sponsors in Twinings, H2O, and I'm sure Walt Disney Pictures paid for the Tomorrowland space, just like they do at the Parks. I don't pretend to know the economics of D23, but I have to believe the primary purpose of these events is membership sign-ups, retention, and PR, rather than being huge cash cows. I wonder if D23 actually turns a profit, or merely breaks-even?

It's my first Destination D, and kind of assuming it's basically a D23 "Parks"/"Expo Lite". In fact, I'm actually kind of expecting more substance, less "glamor", which I'm fine with.

Last edited:

Iamit

$50 Star Wars breakfast. $200 Pleasure Island museum. I guess the Spirit wasn't wrong about the flood of upcharge events to pay for Magic Bands.

You know you will be going o his... but the real question is just how many souvenirs will you buy?

prberk

To each his own, respectfully, but I'm pretty excited about this event, actually.

My main reason for going is the Fair stuff. I had occasion to be in NYC a couple of months ago, and made it a point to head out to Flushing Meadows. I'm so glad I did, and came away with a different experience than I expected, based on photo essays I'd seen which make it seem forlorn and wasteland-like. While I probably would've gone anyway, knowing that this event was coming up made it a "research trip" in my mind... to set the proper context :) Sure, we've all seen the old Disneyland TV episode, but other than that, only bits and pieces for me. So I'm curious to see what they're planning for the whole day. This was all that was needed to get me there.

That said, way excited about Discovery Bay too, since that's my coast, and curious to hear if he'll interweave tales from its transition to DLP. While I can see how some wouldn't care to hear about America Sings if that's not the Park they have the affinity for, I honestly can't decide between the curiosity of hearing about FL's early attractions, which I know less about, or curiosity about what nuggets they might show from Walt's original.

So, I dunno, $200 for the event itself really doesn't seem bad to me. $100/day for all the presenters, sessions, "things" they'll have to crate from Glendale, rental space, etc? Having been exposed to how Disney divisions charge each other, I can't imagine the $200/head covers their costs, but I'm guessing they expect to make it up in merch sales, but a chunk of that probably goes back to Mickey's of Glendale. They obviously have sponsors in Twinings, H2O, and I'm sure Walt Disney Pictures paid for the Tomorrowland space, just like they do at the Parks. I don't pretend to know the economics of D23, but I have to believe the primary purpose of these events is membership sign-ups, retention, and PR, rather than being huge cash cows. I wonder if D23 actually turns a profit, or merely breaks-even?

It's my first Destination D, and kind of assuming it's basically a D23 "Parks"/"Expo Lite". In fact, I'm actually kind of expecting more substance, less "glamor", which I'm fine with.

I am right there with you, only right now I just can't afford to go. (Helping my mother in many financial ways right now has kept things very tight for me.) Check out the pics people have posted in my other thread (about the streaming of part of the event).

I would MOST appreciate it if you would post as many pictures or videos of the exhibits as you can, especially the World's Fair presentations. It would mean a lot to me.

Thank you,
Paul

Swfewrmco

I am right there with you, only right now I just can't afford to go. (Helping my mother in many financial ways right now has kept things very tight for me.) Check out the pics people have posted in my other thread (about the streaming of part of the event).

I would MOST appreciate it if you would post as many pictures or videos of the exhibits as you can, especially the World's Fair presentations. It would mean a lot to me.

In a move that I 100% applaud, D23 announced yesterday that photography and video taping will be prohibited during all presentations. I think people spend way too much documenting these things for social media to the detriment of those around them. Also, I think that something that someone paid $200 or $1000 to attend (plus travel costs) should be kept somewhat exclusive.

prberk

WOO HOO - by this time tomorrow... (I *need* this getaway!!)
View attachment 74548

Have fun. Give us some good reports. Still can't get my D23 account online access working, and the only response I have gotten is the generic, "Make sure that type your name and member number in exactly...".

I have left several messages and an e-mail since last Friday a week ago. If they can't fix it by Saturday I will not get to see the live stream. So, you may be my best access to reports or info.

CSUFSteve

I'll do what I can! Hope you get to view the live streaming, though. I always forget my D23 password b/c for some weird reason it's not linked to the rest of disney.com :)

Shockingly, reservations opened up last night for Be Our Guest and California Grill while I'm there. I've toured but not eaten at Be Our Guest (DVC/AP preview), and I haven't eaten at CA Grill since the big redo. So, lots to be excited about this weekend (aside from that whole Destination D thing they got goin' on) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom