Destination D anyone?

Jerm

Original Poster
So we are 3 weeks away from the biggest D23 event in WDW to date, is anyone on here going? I attended the one in Disneyland and while it was not as great as the Expo it was a great time! I walked away from that Dest D knowing a few things I had not before. Up until yesterday I was planning on getting updates over the web from the WDW Dest D but as it turns out I will be there! Anyone else going?

Jerm

Original Poster
where is it at in WDW

It is going to be at the Contemporary Hotel, you have to buy tickets now and be a D23 member.

To the other few of us going.......from the looks of things all over the web, me might be some of the few there. Last year for Dest D in Disneyland tickets sold out fast and it was packed. But so far tickets still on sale means me might have some free seats around the area!

Tigger1988

Except Disneyland's was held in a 18,000 sq ft ballroom and Disney World's is being held in an over 44,000 sq ft ballroom.

Jerm

Original Poster
Except Disneyland's was held in a 18,000 sq ft ballroom and Disney World's is being held in an over 44,000 sq ft ballroom.

That is very true, but I have been checking around some of the other "disney" sites and it seems like not very many are going. I will be very interested in seeing the crowd!

TP2000

Last year for Dest D in Disneyland tickets sold out fast and it was packed. But so far tickets still on sale means me might have some free seats around the area!

It's funny, because aside from this thread you created there just hasn't been much buzz here or on other boards I visit. No one seems to be talking about the WDW Destination D, and you've even educated some folks who had no idea what it was.

A totally different scene from the two weeks leading up to the Disneyland version last year. There's been more talk about D23 Expo in Anaheim this August on these boards than the upcoming Destination D. :confused:

TP2000

That will depend on whether they use the full-size Fantasia Ballroom, or partition off the 12 breakout rooms along the flanks and perhaps slide the walls across sections H or G, leaving just one or two of the 10,000 square foot center sections of Fantasia to seat the potentially smaller crowd.

One thing I know from the event planning industry is that planners and stagers absolutely HATE to have a room that is bigger than the crowd, and they'll pull those moving walls of the Fantasia Ballroom closed if they can.

At September's Destination D in Anaheim, they set up the full 18,000 square foot Disneyland Hotel Grand Ballroom in the two-level auditorium seating plan, to accomodate the sell out crowd at $125 per person.

5031269839_0b3de6e753_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5031269839_0b3de6e753_b.jpg

The Disneyland Hotel's full convention center is actually a bit larger than the Contemporary Resort's convention center, and they used the room and seating format that worked best for the 2010 Destination D presentations that were mainly on a stage flanked by four movie screens.

Disneyland Hotel Convention Center - 136,000 Square Feet of Meeting Space
Contemporary Resort Convention Center - 115,000 Square Feet of Meeting Space

At this point three weeks beforehand the tickets were sold out for the Anaheim version, but they are still available for the WDW version. A big part of that might be that they are charging $175 for the WDW event tickets ($215 if you want to do the scavenger hunt), which is quite a bit more than the $125 Disneyland version last September. :eek:

It will be interesting to see who shows up, how many show up, and how they divide up the Fantasia Ballroom if they do the stage presentation format that they used at Disneyland last year. But for now, the lack of buzz on this event is noticeably odd. :confused:

Jerm

Original Poster
5031269839_0b3de6e753_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5031269839_0b3de6e753_b.jpg

The Disneyland Hotel's full convention center is actually a bit larger than the Contemporary Resort's convention center, and they used the room and seating format that worked best for the 2010 Destination D presentations that were mainly on a stage flanked by four movie screens.

Disneyland Hotel Convention Center - 136,000 Square Feet of Meeting Space
Contemporary Resort Convention Center - 115,000 Square Feet of Meeting Space

At this point three weeks beforehand the tickets were sold out for the Anaheim version, but they are still available for the WDW version. A big part of that might be that they are charging $175 for the WDW event tickets ($215 if you want to do the scavenger hunt), which is quite a bit more than the $125 Disneyland version last September. :eek:

First off, the back of my head looks great in that picture!

Second, I am expecting more from D23 as far as gifts and surprises go. That was one of the things that at the DLR Dest D was very short on and I heard more then a few feel the end of the event fell flat. I am guessing besides the gift book we will be getting more then that at check-in and a few things during the weekend.

But I have noticed the same thing as far as people talking about it or even seem like they are going. I have talked to a few of the "in the know" people and while they don't know numbers, they seem to feel the same way...people just are not going to this.

Tigger1988

A totally different scene from the two weeks leading up to the Disneyland version last year. There's been more talk about D23 Expo in Anaheim this August on these boards than the upcoming Destination D. :confused:

I guess you missed the long multipage thread on this event started months ago? Do a search and I'm sure it'll pop right up.

Jerm

Original Poster
I guess you missed the long multipage thread on this event started months ago? Do a search and I'm sure it'll pop right up.

It does not pop right up. I went looking and found it and looked through, it was nice to see a few other people are going that have not said anything also. But really the numbers still look small and that thread was last active like 2 months ago so it is not easy to find.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=635900&highlight=Destination

Also they did talk about projects coming up at the Dest D here in DLR so you never know if they will announce a new attraction or something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom