Describe your first trip to WDW. How old were you? What year was it?

Minnesota disney fan

First trip was in 1983. I was 35. Was with my wife and two daughter (age 9 & 7). We didn't have much money at the time and I was in publishing then and got four tickets as a thank you for running a promotion with a travel agency. We saved money for months and budgeted, with the kids, what we could spend per day. They saved up their allowance. And we made the road trip from Vermont the last week of February. I had to work all day setting things up so everything would get done while I was gone so I got home after dark but we headed out for Albany as soon as I got home. I had a headache that would have killed a lessor man. All the way to Albany my head was throbbing and lights were shining in my eyes. It was awful. When we got to the hotel in Albany, I was so wired that I couldn't sleep much, a couple of hours maybe. The further south we went the better and more excited I felt. We stayed in Econo-lodges the entire trip. We had to guess where we would get and make reservations ahead of time from a pay phone or the last hotel we stayed in. We stayed 3 miles to the west of the main entrance to WDW. Up until about 5 years ago the building was still there, but had been abandoned for quite a while. We only had a three day ticket, so we spent the first day at MK. On the second day we went to EPCOT. At the time it had only been open for about 3 months. It didn't have the organization of MK and long, long lines existed. We spent two hours to get in to Imagination and all we got to see was the 3D movie I don't remember the name of.

Anyway, we spent all the time waiting for a 12 minute movie and that was all that was operating at the time for Imagination. We looked at each other and decided that EPCOT at that stage just wasn't worth it. So we drove to the Kennedy Space Center and had a great time. The next, last day, was back to MK. That's all there was at the time.

The next morning we drove up the westside of the state to Silver Springs, toured there and then headed back up north on I-95. When we got to DC we stopped and set up a bus tour of DC for the next morning. They showed up with a van and said you're the only ones that reserved for the day so where would you like to go. We didn't know the things available so we just told him a couple of places like the Vietnam Veteran Memorial and the air and space museum and the driver just took us to the regular places like the Capital building and the white house. The driver was very friendly and asked my youngest what grade she was in and what they were studying in school. She was in 1st grade and since it was Presidents week they have just studied Abe Lincoln. A light went on in his head and took us to the Ford Theater and the residence across to the road where Lincoln actually died. Quite and eye opener for the youngin'.

Then we drove the rest of the way to Vermont singing "Now is the time, Now is the best time, Now is the best time of our lives" which we all had memorized from the Carrousel of Progress. Memories for all of us and I talk with my middle aged daughters about it even now. That was why we or I ended up going to WDW 47 times and Disneyland once and Disneyland Paris once.
Love this report! We did alot of the things you have done. Our first visit was l977, and our son was 7 and daughter was 5 y/o. I was28. I think that was a perfect age for the kids to visit. We didn't have much money either but had saved up for the trip, and then, my husband was laid off from a good paying job, to Nothing at the time. We were worried, but since we had already saved up and were set to leave in a week, we decided to do it. I am so glad that we did.
Like you, we stayed off site but I can't remember the name of the resort. It was nice and clean and had a great pool, which was all the kids wanted, LOL. We drove to disney and parked in the neat named rows in the lot. First impressions were of being in awe at everything. The place was so clean, with uniformed CM;s very much in view picking up trash or cleaning the bathrooms. Everything was pristine including the attractions which were painted and actually worked!!! we had no breakdowns while we were there.
All of it was amazing! But the kids wanted to go back to the hotel at noon so they could swim all afternoon! That's kids for you. They just want to swim at that age. I'm not saying they didn't love disney, because they did and had a ball while in the parks.
Like you, we visited Silver Springs but not with the kids on that trip. As a side note: we went to Florida in l969 before there was a Disney! We visited Silver Springs when it was pristine and they had glass bottom boats that you could actually see huge fish and alot of them. We visited later and there were very few smaller fish, which was disappointing.
We also visited the Vietnam Memorial and I couldn't help it, but cried at the huge number of young men and women who lost their lives there, including my young brother in law.
Sorry, I got sidetracked from disney........
We visited again when the kids were 9 and 11, and have visited alot since then. More recently, my husband and I have been visiting yearly by ourselves, which is a whole other way to visit disney, but fits our lives at this time.

Goofyernmost

Love this report! We did alot of the things you have done. Our first visit was l977, and our son was 7 and daughter was 5 y/o. I was28. I think that was a perfect age for the kids to visit. We didn't have much money either but had saved up for the trip, and then, my husband was laid off from a good paying job, to Nothing at the time. We were worried, but since we had already saved up and were set to leave in a week, we decided to do it. I am so glad that we did.
Like you, we stayed off site but I can't remember the name of the resort. It was nice and clean and had a great pool, which was all the kids wanted, LOL. We drove to disney and parked in the neat named rows in the lot. First impressions were of being in awe at everything. The place was so clean, with uniformed CM;s very much in view picking up trash or cleaning the bathrooms. Everything was pristine including the attractions which were painted and actually worked!!! we had no breakdowns while we were there.
All of it was amazing! But the kids wanted to go back to the hotel at noon so they could swim all afternoon! That's kids for you. They just want to swim at that age. I'm not saying they didn't love disney, because they did and had a ball while in the parks.
Like you, we visited Silver Springs but not with the kids on that trip. As a side note: we went to Florida in l969 before there was a Disney! We visited Silver Springs when it was pristine and they had glass bottom boats that you could actually see huge fish and alot of them. We visited later and there were very few smaller fish, which was disappointing.
We also visited the Vietnam Memorial and I couldn't help it, but cried at the huge number of young men and women who lost their lives there, including my young brother in law.
Sorry, I got sidetracked from disney........
We visited again when the kids were 9 and 11, and have visited alot since then. More recently, my husband and I have been visiting yearly by ourselves, which is a whole other way to visit disney, but fits our lives at this time.
The parking lot thing reminded me of the fact that was before instant digital camera's so they made us repeat the parking area and row number over and over from the time we left the lot until we got off at the TTC. That was 38 years ago. I just remembered that it was 38 years ago today that we were in Washington on the way home. Anyway, I'm not sure I still remember the lot and number now but I did for a very long time. Even now the name Goofy 23 seems to be popping up in my mind. Good chance I'm thinking of some other time.

The Vietnam Memorial was much more gut wrenching than I thought it would be, but being a Vietnam Vet, I was overwhelmed with sadness when I remembered all those people on the wall were young humans that never got to have the kids, much less take them to Walt Disney World. It bothers me more now that I realize the they never got the chance to hold their grandchildren or attend their birthday parties. What a huge waste of humanity. For a while, I also felt very guilty about surviving when all of them wanted to survive as much as I did. I got home, they didn't! ☹️

OK, pity party is over, time to return to happy memories of first trips to WDW. My kids also spent hours whining about how tired they were and how they want to go back to the hotel. It was a miracle just how quickly their energy returned as soon as the pool came into sight.

Smiley/OCD

1993, I was 29 on my honeymoon and the first time I was ever on a plane...began a second half of life obsession for me...

dreday3

Our first family trip was maybe 1979 or 1980? I was 6 or 7. All I remember is only MK was open and River Country.

But my main memory is I know my dad booked us at somewhere called ...King's Court or something? We arrived that day, then we went to MK and saw the Contemporary. My dad promptly cancelled our reservation and we stayed at CR. :D

Next two trips we did split stays between CR and Poly. I remember eating breakfast at Papeeta Bay Verandah. Was there for Epcot's opening in October too. Awesome.

Wait, I remember! It was the Court of Flags Resort! 70's chic.

jmargarone27

My first trip was in 2002, I was almost 5 years old. I have just a couple memories: 1) we stayed at the Grand Floridian, 2) I remember going out on our balcony at the hotel and hearing the howling from Haunted Mansion, 3) I remember going on Tower of Terror and buying the Disney Channel movie at the gift shop, 4) I remember eating at Mickey’s Backyard BBQ with my mom’s cousin and his wife who were both CM’s at the time, 5) I remember meeting Mary Poppins at 1900 Park Fare during breakfast, and 6) I remember picking up and dropping off a rental car at MCO (pre-Magical Express days). That’s all I really recall from my first trip there, some of my fondest childhood memories are from the trips that followed my first one!

EngineerMom

Oh, and the trips we took when I was a kid we would drive to Harrisburg, PA and take the Autotrain overnight. First few times that was part of the fun.

We never flew as my grandparents came with us and my grandmother would not fly.

sheilafri

My first WDW trip was in November, 2001, with my husband and our three children. In the aftermath of 9/11 the parks were almost empty. I remember going on most rides three times in a row in the MK as we would ride, circle back around, and get back on with a minimal wait time. Three times was pretty much our limit before we wanted a different attraction.

CntrlFlPete

DW - 1971 and I was young. Parents, 1 brother (older) drove up from south FL. I recall driving through rolling hills of Orange groves forever -- passed the entrance and drove more and more. We stayed at the Contemporary.

I recall the trees/topiaries as the monorail passed. I recall they gave you caps and cork 'bullets' w/ the muskets they sold at the Pirates shop. I recall these odd round boats you could rent, needing tickets for everything -- just how removed we were from the real world.

DL - only went in '85, dug how different it was -- that eyeball staring at me during adventures in innerspace.

That's how I recall it all anyway.

Qscout

Wow feel like a complete newbie with my first trip being honeymoon in 2007. Though love it that there are many on here that had there honeymoon with the mouse. We stayed off property and had done quite a bit of research before going but it was still magical and soo exciting. It was the first time that either of us had been to America, and coming from Little Britain, everything seemed so large, the roads, cars, food portions. Everyone seemed so friendly, the smiling and helpful cast members, the sights, sounds, smells, we fell in love with it as a holiday destination.

We have since been back every couple of yours, apart from a break of 5 yrs in the mid 20-teens. Still love it and find it magical, and the last two times have stayed on property. We were due a visit this year, instead settling for next year, our 15yr anniversary, though starting to plan and see the prices, we are considering going off property again. Dietary choices/needs, makes us want to be able to prepare our own meals, and Disney don't have a cost effective way of doing this on property.

That first trip across the lake on the ferry boat and seeing the castle for the first time was awesome. So much so that since then on each vacation the first visit to magic kingdom we always get the ferryboat.

John park hopper

The parking lot thing reminded me of the fact that was before instant digital camera's so they made us repeat the parking area and row number over and over from the time we left the lot until we got off at the TTC. That was 38 years ago. I just remembered that it was 38 years ago today that we were in Washington on the way home. Anyway, I'm not sure I still remember the lot and number now but I did for a very long time. Even now the name Goofy 23 seems to be popping up in my mind. Good chance I'm thinking of some other time.

The Vietnam Memorial was much more gut wrenching than I thought it would be, but being a Vietnam Vet, I was overwhelmed with sadness when I remembered all those people on the wall were young humans that never got to have the kids, much less take them to Walt Disney World. It bothers me more now that I realize the they never got the chance to hold their grandchildren or attend their birthday parties. What a huge waste of humanity. For a while, I also felt very guilty about surviving when all of them wanted to survive as much as I did. I got home, they didn't! ☹️

OK, pity party is over, time to return to happy memories of first trips to WDW. My kids also spent hours whining about how tired they were and how they want to go back to the hotel. It was a miracle just how quickly their energy returned as soon as the pool came into sight.
I remember going to the Vietnam Memorial and looking up names specifically my wife's cousin Robbie Ruttle and others I knew-- not ashamed to admit it brought tears to my eyes. Why we made it back and others didn't only god knows why.
As I posted first trip was 72, spent our honeymoon at the Contemporary in 77. In 89 we took our then 2 boys total surprise to them their reaction was priceless.

mergatroid

Back in 1977 when I was 8 years old.

Remember visiting the MK and being blown away by it all. Whilst driving up World Drive a sign encouraged you to tune into a radio channel giving you details of events and times for the MK that day. The very first attraction we visited was Circlevision in Tomorrow Land which I found a little boring but following that we did 'Mission to Mars' and I was hooked. I also remember eating in what is now Cosmic Rays and where Sonny Eclipse now is, they had a live band that rose out of the floor on an elevator. Happy, happy days.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
1970-Something. I was about 6ish. My Pops was always a big Walt Disney fan, being he was an artist himself, and for the most part a kid at heart.

There are few things that were 'told' memories -

Staying at the Contemporary - My Dad told me, we were having such a good time, that he added an extra day onto the stay. I laugh when I think about that now. First of all being able to afford the Contemporary (We aren't/weren't rich and at the time, on only one income) AND being able to just "tack on a day" LOL.

Looking out the Monorail at the topiary - This is a memory I THINK i recall, but I am almost certain was placed through a photograph of me somewhere.

Riding IASW - That song of course..and my Pops pointing out the Italian kids :)

Riding HM - I remember being surprised at myself for not being more scared.

finally....

Riding POTC - Something I am certain is a 'real memory' my Dad pointing out the hair on the bridge pirates leg and making sure I understood that was made WDW / Disneyland so different from every other amusement park; that everything looked real because of that attention to detail.

Side note: We drove down and I remember all the South of the Border signs "Pedro's weather forecast: Hot Today Chili Tamale"
Also actually stopping at SOTB. To this day, if we ever drive down to FL I HAVE to stop. That incredible cheesy kitsch is so nostalgic to me.

CntrlFlPete

something I forgot to bring up. In the early days (years) of the park, they would put a WDW bumper sticker on your car while you enjoyed your day at the MK.

Analog version of gorilla marketing I imagine that seems to have worked really well!

NelleBelle

something I forgot to bring up. In the early days (years) of the park, they would put a WDW bumper sticker on your car while you enjoyed your day at the MK.

Analog version of gorilla marketing I imagine that seems to have worked really well!
ooh, I don't know how well that would've flown with my dad (or DH)--he despises bumper stickers! And they didn't have the car magnets they today. That probably would've killed any future disney trips! 😛

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom