Describe your first trip to WDW. How old were you? What year was it?

tsesow

First trip to WDW was Christmas 1971, I was 16 at the time (just got my drivers license). My Dad loved Disney Parks, my Mom hated them,
after our first trip to DL in 1967.

There was a 4 mile backup on US 192 to get to the Magic Kingdom at 7am. I recall a 1 hour wait for Haunted Mansion, but the chains for the lines were screwed up and my Dad got us into a queue that went straight to the front in about 5 minutes.

I didn't go again until 1975 during Spring Break from college.

champdisney

1997. I remember freaking out before the start of Alien Encounter, I squeezed my little a$$ to break free from the harness. Once I did that, I was going to make a run for it. My aunt said “Nope! Get back here right now! It’s going to be okay.”

No, it wasn’t okay for 6 year old me. Once it was over, I was hella relieved.

Oh! And I distinctly remember seeing a bunch a wild kids jumping all over Baloo at Adventureland. Throwing him to the floor and going nuts on him. Crazy...

NickMaio

Wow, did your parents share the driving?
Second are you and your wife making the same drive?
My dad would drive 90% of the way, he could stay awake. Usually we would leave after dinner and drive through the night and get to Orlando around dinner the next day.
My wife and I did the same drive 5 times before we had our little guy. He is 3 now. We flew a few times. Ironically, we were going to drive with him this past summer. Thanks for nothing Covid.
We would share the drive 70/30. Driving can make her sleepy.
I love the drive, it part of the vacation.

Stopping at South of the Border is part of our myst do's.

JoeCamel

My dad would drive 90% of the way, he could stay awake. Usually we would leave after dinner and drive through the night and get to Orlando around dinner the next day.
My wife and I did the same drive 5 times before we had our little guy. He is 3 now. We flew a few times. Ironically, we were going to drive with him this past summer. Thanks for nothing Covid.

Wow, family of road warriors
Thanks

dizbang

We stayed at The Contemporary Hotel from July 1st to July 6th 1972. WDW opened nine months earlier. I was 23 at the time.
My mother was a travel agent and booked the hotel two years before the park opened. She later got her masters degree and
spent the rest of her career as a school teacher.
Our rooms were not ready when we checked in so we went to The Top Of The World for drinks while waiting.
I looked down at the stream of cars coming to The Contemporary and to my amazement saw a boat passing over the cars.
I turned to my parents and brothers and said "this place really is magic".
During our stay I met a cast member and she really added to the magic. The park closed and we met inside the park.
At midnight we went through The Haunted Mansion. When we exited only cast members were in the park.
Since then I was hooked. We've had annual passes to WDW and for two years annual passes to Disneyland as well.
I've retired to Florida with my wife and we go to The Parks fairly often. We stay on property five times a year.
We always stay at The Grand Floridian for Christmas and stayed at many of the Disney hotels.
I have been photographing and videoing WDW and currently have 100,000 photos and 20 tb. of video.
I put Disney videos on youtube for those that missed various events.
I've posted "Francis The Talking Robot" , "Lucky The Dinosaur" , "Delta Q At Epcot" , "A Busy Day At Epcot" ,
and many more. I am currently digitizing all my pre 2007 (when I went digital) video and will be adding
many of the "Lost Moments" so others can enjoy them.

It was 1991 and I was 42. I insisted we take the ferry to MK to get the entire effect of the park experience. 42 yo and I wept when the castle came in sight. I know it is weird that after many, many visits, I still get emotional as we dock.

Goofyernmost

When going with the family, we drove. Didn't want to spend the money for four flights. Can't help it, I'm very frugal. My wife would drive on interstate stretches that weren't overly crowded and two lane (one direction). I can't tell you how many times I tried to explain why it was less stressful on a three lane or more, but she wouldn't change her mind. There are a few places of distance on I-95, where the highway is just two lane. If it wasn't in contact with a big city she would drive. Just not having to concentrate as much would usually mean I could rest up, if no sleep. We decided because of that, plus the fact that on the first couple of trips down we saw or came up on a lot of serious accidents that we would stay two nights, at least on the road.

My wife had one really bad driving habit and that is she would direct her vision to just a few feet in front of the car which meant that something in the road ahead wasn't noticed until she got right up to it. Which would be the reason why I couldn't sleep. People would ask me why we never tried to drive through. My feeling was sure I could but I would be exhausted when we got there and not really have gained much extra time and not have to much enjoyment when I got there, so better safe then sorry. One time I tried the night drive but was surrounded front, back , left side and right side with 18 wheelers. Having been a professional driver I knew all about the two log book tricks and those are some big rigs if the driver decides to take a nap at 75 miles per hour.

Rumrunner

My first visit to DW was 1976-was 32 years old. Took my five year old son. Went again in 1977. Still have some of the tickets we didn't use that came in the ticket books. Kind of interesting collectible.

No resorts and nothing but MK. The park was open until 1 or 2 in the morning.

AFoodie

ME TOO! I couldn't remember the name of that ride until I described it here several years ago. I just remember that eye and riding in "doom buggies" like in the HM. The other thing I remember about the ride were the snowflakes. I'll have to look it up on YouTube now!
Alex the Historian & Yesterworld have great videos!

orlandogal22

July 6, 1992. Four days after my 16th birthday. I went again in 1993 and 1997 (staying the opening week at brand-new Coronado Springs).

Moved to Orlando in 1998.
Got hired by Disney within one week of moving here.

(no longer a CM; just an AP)

MickeyCB

I preface by stating I have a horrible memory for dates and events, but can generalize.
My first trip I was in my late teens and it was 1975 or 76. My mother who hated any kind of vacationing took my sister and I. All I can remember is the night parade, it was truly magic! We stayed off site.

In 1985 (I know this because I found an old ticket recently), my husband and I went to WDW for a conference with his job as a YMCA director. We stayed off site in Orlando somewhere. Had a blast!

We took my daughter in 1991 when she was 3 1/2 and again a few years later. She loved Daisy and still has a Daisy hat. We stayed at I believe Port Orleans.

We then took my son who was born in 2000, in 2003 when he was 3 1/2. He loved Goofy and has a Goofy hat from that visit. One of the family sayings came about on that trip. It was June and hot as the surface of the sun and my husband being a pest always touched, poked and prodded people. We were at a bus stop, sweltering, and he was pestering my 3 yr old son, and my son said to my husband "no touchies Daddy"!! We stayed at Coronado.

Fast forward to 2008 and it was my 49th birthday and I thought, "oh my, I'm going to be 50 next year! Where do I want to be, not here"! And my son had the Disney channel on tv and I said, ahh hah! That's where I want to wake up 50. So I planned a big trip with our first time to stay in Deluxe. We had a 7 Seas Lagoon facing room at the Polynesian and when we went in I opened the drapes and looked out, and was just amazed, there was Cinderella's Castle! That was in November and a week before Thanksgiving. It was gorgeous weather, crowds were nothing at the time and we had so much fun we all said, we need to do this next year.
And so it began. I badgered my husband for years, and in 2015 we bought into DVC at the Poly and now are blessed to be able to go 1-2 or occasionally 3 times a year now.

But, biggest news of all, we became first time grandparents in December and I have been bugging my daughter to let me plan a big family trip for Feb of 22 when the baby will be 14 months or so. I can't wait!!!

belledream

1995 - I was 5 years old. We stayed at All Star Music, and I remember the fountain in the little courtyard by Jazz Inn. I remember being obsessed with Dumbo the Flying Elephant. My parents took turns waiting in line for me so I could go on over and over again. I remember wandering around Mickey's Toontown Fair, particularly the sound of Donald's boat. I remember being very shy and giving characters awkward side hugs, more focused on filling up my autograph book. Most of all, I remember picking Belle's blue dress out of every princess dress on the shelf, and back at the hotel, I put it on and ran out of the room without shoes.

My brother was born a couple years later and we stayed at Contemporary. We were hooked. We went multiple times a year... drove, flew, took a train once... always mixing it up from All Stars to Dixie Landings to Wilderness Lodge. From experiences like Behind the Seeds Tour to every single stuffed animal that resided in the Hundred Acre Wood, my parents gave us everything we could have wanted and more... and I am so motivated to do the same for my kids.

I found my Belle dress in my mom's basement last weekend and was filled with joy. I thought it was long gone. So excited for my daughter to wear it someday.

It's been a minute since I've been on the boards and have able to post, but this one got me all excited and hopeful again. :)

Rmacmouz

It was 1975, my senior class trip. My parents scrimped and saved to be able to send me. I loved every minute of it! The Haunted Mansion and The Pirates of the Caribbean absolutely blew my away!! I was fascinated by everything! I knew I would never be able to see this amazing place again so I drank it all in, overwhelmed with sadness when I left. Then in 1994 I married my second husband and he asked how would you like to go to Disney World on our honeymoon. YES I WOULD!!! We've been married 26 years and have managed to get back every 4 or 5 years. This place is in your blood!

addacollier

As a 19 year old, my first trip was in Sept 1989. Flying in from the UK, a 2 week trip was the only option. We bought a 5 day WDW pass. MGM studios had been open for 3 months but no Universal. We also did Seaworld which at the time had no rides, just animal exhibits. Wet n Wild, Boardwalk and Baseball, Church Street Station and the Buccaneers/Saints game in Tampa.

Last edited:

wdworlandlover

February 1972 I was 6 years old. I remember the characters, especially the Aristocats, roaming around Main Street USA. My most vivid memory is of feeling a tap on my shoulder and turning around to discover it was Captain Hook. It scared the daylights out of me. He still freaks me out. Lol

Dutch Inn '76

It was 1976 and I was seven years old. I was standing with my Mama near Cinderella Castle. She saw Mickey nearby and BOLTED for him, leaving me sobbing and alone. I still give her grief for that. ;)

<<---- We stayed at the Dutch Inn, until the last night, when my folks managed to get us one night in the Contemporary...

NickMaio

When going with the family, we drove. Didn't want to spend the money for four flights. Can't help it, I'm very frugal. My wife would drive on interstate stretches that weren't overly crowded and two lane (one direction). I can't tell you how many times I tried to explain why it was less stressful on a three lane or more, but she wouldn't change her mind. There are a few places of distance on I-95, where the highway is just two lane. If it wasn't in contact with a big city she would drive. Just not having to concentrate as much would usually mean I could rest up, if no sleep. We decided because of that, plus the fact that on the first couple of trips down we saw or came up on a lot of serious accidents that we would stay two nights, at least on the road.

My wife had one really bad driving habit and that is she would direct her vision to just a few feet in front of the car which meant that something in the road ahead wasn't noticed until she got right up to it. Which would be the reason why I couldn't sleep. People would ask me why we never tried to drive through. My feeling was sure I could but I would be exhausted when we got there and not really have gained much extra time and not have to much enjoyment when I got there, so better safe then sorry. One time I tried the night drive but was surrounded front, back , left side and right side with 18 wheelers. Having been a professional driver I knew all about the two log book tricks and those are some big rigs if the driver decides to take a nap at 75 miles per hour.
Some accidents are very very bad, tip for drivers doing the long haul, always drive defensively.
Look ahead as far as possible, check your mirrors every 30 seconds. When stopping quickly put on your 4 way lights and flash your brakes if possible, watch the upcoming traffic behind you.
Getting my motorcycle license 10 years ago really opened my eyes to the way most car drivers behave.
The drive can be a blast or pure exhaustion.

I wish the big rigs had their own separate lanes apart from everyone else. Most of the nasty accidents always involved an 18 wheeler.

Take care everyone.
Covid will be in our rear view mirrors hopefully soon.

Goofyernmost

Some accidents are very very bad, tip for drivers doing the long haul, always drive defensively.
Look ahead as far as possible, check your mirrors every 30 seconds. When stopping quickly put on your 4 way lights and flash your brakes if possible, watch the upcoming traffic behind you.
Getting my motorcycle license 10 years ago really opened my eyes to the way most car drivers behave.
The drive can be a blast or pure exhaustion.

I wish the big rigs had their own separate lanes apart from everyone else. Most of the nasty accidents always involved an 18 wheeler.

Take care everyone.
Covid will be in our rear view mirrors hopefully soon.
Sorry... the length of this is almost criminal. Read at your own risk. 🥱

The ones that I witnessed, didn't involve any semi's. The first one was a car that had passed me on I-95 about 10 minutes earlier who just drove off the road at full speed into a cluster of trees. I don't know what happened but no attempt was made to put the brakes on. I pulled over but a whole bunch of people did as well and since I had no experience, at the time, in medical anything. I decided that I would just be in the way. Another one, which was on the Washington Beltline was an old stake body truck loaded with junk. One of the side supports gave way causing what seemed to be a waterfall of junk and a chain reaction to the cars behind. To my knowledge no one was hurt in that one, but it was spectacular with stuff flying all over the place.

I did see one however just to the east of Toronto that I was almost involved in. I had passed a flatbed truck carrying large rolls of sheet metal destined to probably be a car at one point. We were cruising along at a good rate and came up upon one of the group entrances from side roads which caused a large literal traffic stop. I had just stopped when I glanced in my rear view and saw the smallish car coming up behind me followed by that same truck. She started to slow down, but the truck never let up and crashed into the back of the car pushing it forward toward my car.

I braced myself and prepared for the collision. At the last moment the car, still being pushed by the truck moved slightly over to the right just missing may rear fender by inches. At that same time the truck climbed up the back of that car pushing it around 180 degrees so it was facing that truck. Then continued to climb up the back of the car causing the truck to tip over on it's side and came to a stop about 4 inches from the front of that car. If I looked out the passenger side windows I was about 2 feet away looking at the undercarriage of the truck. I also saw the lady that was driving that car. Clutching tightly to the steering wheel just gazing straight ahead at the grill of the truck.

Looking behind me one of the gigantic rolls of sheet metal had fallen off the truck when it tipped over and was about 3 feet from the back of my car. I don't usually react to stuff, but I was in shock. I witnessed the whole thing. The road was clear in front of me and since I didn't think I had been hit I drove around in front and pulled over. I was trying to stop shaking so I could move to see if everything was OK. I quickly glanced around the car and did find a couple of chipped paint marks where debris had been thrown in my direction.

Then again looking up I saw that there were about 50 people trying to see if the two operators were OK. From the best I could tell the lady was at least talking to those around her but I'll bet she was hurting the next morning. Her rear bumper ended up in the back seat, but the driver area was not damaged. There were people trying to climb up to the cab of the truck and I can tell you now that there was no movement coming from there. I don't know what happened to the driver. Very shortly after a police car pulled up and a few minutes later ambulances appeared. Then out of nowhere every policeman in Canada converged on the scene. I searched one out and told them that I had seen the whole thing in my rearview and told them what I just told you. After about a half hour I finally calmed down enough to continue on with my trip, but that image has stayed in my mind for a very long time. That happened in 2008. Since I was on my way home to Vermont I never did find out what happened to everyone. While talking to the police all I could imagine is the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

I've put a lot of miles on in my lifetime and saw many minor things. The one I recall the most was when happened all in one day. I was in college and drove a delivery truck part time for a hospital supply company. The first thing happened as I was following a truck around a corner in the city. The load shifted on the turn and made the trailer brake away from the tractor and flip on it's side. No injuries on that one. About an hour later I was driving around a city park and heard a loud noise. It was a gunshot as I glanced over I saw a guy slumping to the ground. He had killed himself in the park just as I was along side it. Flash ahead about 4 hours and I was on the other side of Lake Champlain on my way back to the office from a delivery and was loading on one of the ferry's that traversed the lake at that point. As I pulled on I heard tires squealing and look up to see a car about two vehicles ahead, literally fly through the boundary chain in the front into the water. The chain had come up on top of the hood and smashed the windshield of the car. As soon as it hit the water it sunk well below the top. An employee of the ferry company jumped in and found a lady desperately trying to get out through the windshield area. He grabbed her and got her up to the surface where a couple others had also jumped in to get her to the shore. The guy dove back under and was down there for a long time and then came back up because he couldn't get the driver out. According to the news report he had a heart attack and his foot pushed down on the accelerator and that was that. That was in the summer of 1967 I think.

When I got back to the office and told them of my day they all wanted to know when I was going to be on the road so they could stay home. Sorry for the length of this, I apparently have diarrhea of the brain this morning. It is amazing how some topics can just trigger a flood of memories.

dreday3

Our first family trip was maybe 1979 or 1980? I was 6 or 7. All I remember is only MK was open and River Country.

But my main memory is I know my dad booked us at somewhere called ...King's Court or something? We arrived that day, then we went to MK and saw the Contemporary. My dad promptly cancelled our reservation and we stayed at CR. :D

Next two trips we did split stays between CR and Poly. I remember eating breakfast at Papeeta Bay Verandah. Was there for Epcot's opening in October too. Awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom