Deluxe Dining Plan: Are these good reservation choices?

$crooge McDuck

Original Poster
My Fiance and I will be going to Disney for our honeymoon in August, and we both love the table-service meals on the Deluxe Dining Plan. We're also more than willing to bring along breakfast fixings for the room in order to use a lot of the signature/2-credit places, but I'd like to know if I'm making the right choices.

Sunday night, post Check-In:

Dinner: California Grill (got a reservation around fireworks time, here's hoping being on honeymoon will get us a good window seat!)

Monday:

Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner: Citricos

Tuesday:

Lunch: Coral Reef
Dinner: Le Cellier

Wednesday:

Lunch: Teppan Edo
Dinner: Raglan Road

Thursday (this is probably a water park day, so breakfast instead of lunch:)

Breakfast: Kona Cafe
Dinner: Jiko

Friday:

Lunch: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Dinner: Brown Derby

That's 15 of the 18 total credits for the plan - any other places I've overlooked? Should we just plan to use those on quick bites/counter service stuff if need be? Any fantastic breakfast spots I'm missing? We'd rather not do any character dining, and we're not sure if we want to go to any of the dinner shows.

PoohBear119

I would look in to Artist Point instead of Raglan Road... DH and I loved it there and are heading back for our anniversary in August.

Pioneer Hall

If you still have three credits, I would have to agree with everyone and say to ditch Raglan Road. Pick up another signature dining (yachtsman or Narcoosees).

$crooge McDuck

Original Poster
We plan to be around Downtown Disney that evening, which was why I was leaning towards Raglan - is there something wrong with it that I'm not noticing? If we were to pick up another Signature, what's good that's also close to DTD?

armyfamilyof5

If I were on my honeymoon I would make sure and eat dinner at the castle. I understand you don't care about character meals but you won't regret eating there. You will also get a picture keepsake that is included with the meal. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, I hope everything goes perfectly at your wedding and you have a magical marriage!

PoohBear119

We plan to be around Downtown Disney that evening, which was why I was leaning towards Raglan - is there something wrong with it that I'm not noticing? If we were to pick up another Signature, what's good that's also close to DTD?

Nothing really wrong with it, but there are just so many more places around the world that are superior to it... If you are in the DTD area you can take a bus to any hotel... so I would go with Artist Point or Yatchsman as another poster said.

popsicletrees

I would strongly suggest looking into Narcoossee's. We went there on our trip last month and absolutely loved it! We celebrated my parent's 32nd wedding anniversary there, and they printed up special menus for my parents to keep. Also, everyone really enjoyed their meals. My fiance said that it was the best meal he's ever had. I know that you are already going to Cali Grill, but this is also a good place to see Wishes.

mickey2008.1

My Fiance and I will be going to Disney for our honeymoon in August, and we both love the table-service meals on the Deluxe Dining Plan. We're also more than willing to bring along breakfast fixings for the room in order to use a lot of the signature/2-credit places, but I'd like to know if I'm making the right choices.

Sunday night, post Check-In:

Dinner: California Grill (got a reservation around fireworks time, here's hoping being on honeymoon will get us a good window seat!)

Monday:

Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner: Citricos

Tuesday:

Lunch: Coral Reef
Dinner: Le Cellier

Wednesday:

Lunch: Teppan Edo
Dinner: Raglan Road

Thursday (this is probably a water park day, so breakfast instead of lunch:)

Breakfast: Kona Cafe
Dinner: Jiko

Friday:

Lunch: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Dinner: Brown Derby

That's 15 of the 18 total credits for the plan - any other places I've overlooked? Should we just plan to use those on quick bites/counter service stuff if need be? Any fantastic breakfast spots I'm missing? We'd rather not do any character dining, and we're not sure if we want to go to any of the dinner shows.
skip brown derby and do mama melrose. tepan edo great for dinner. LeCellier over rated. I would try a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe, excellent without the crowdedness of Chef Mickeys.
Have fun, spent my honeymoon there as well.

$crooge McDuck

Original Poster
I would strongly suggest looking into Narcoossee's. We went there on our trip last month and absolutely loved it! We celebrated my parent's 32nd wedding anniversary there, and they printed up special menus for my parents to keep. Also, everyone really enjoyed their meals. My fiance said that it was the best meal he's ever had. I know that you are already going to Cali Grill, but this is also a good place to see Wishes.

I considered Narcoossee's, but for me at least, two big seafood meals in a week is going to be overkill. Also, we didn't really want to go to any specific resort twice, and we both like the Citricos menu a bit better. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

mickey2008.1 said:
skip brown derby and do mama melrose. tepan edo great for dinner. LeCellier over rated. I would try a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe, excellent without the crowdedness of Chef Mickeys.
Have fun, spent my honeymoon there as well.

We've actually switched 50's lunch for Mama Melrose - Brown Derby is her choice and if you want to try and tell her otherwise, I'll be happy to let you!

Going back to the Artist Point/Raglan Road thing, I went ahead and booked a reservation at AP for the same time as RR. The AP food, admittedly, looks fantastic. I'm just concerned about the time factor - we want time to spend at DisneyQuest in the evening, and with Wilderness Lodge on the opposite side of the property, we'd probably need to have a very early dinner at AP to be able to drive/take the bus system there, eat, and get back to DTD before 9-10:00. Plus, our first date was at an Irish place, so Irish food/atmosphere is dear to us.

In terms of character breakfasts/meals... maybe. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that as a young Disney park attendee, the two character meals I had were, well, not good. I can see giving a character breakfast a chance if we end up on a property that offers them, but for now we're probably going to be at Port Orleans. Let's hope the honeymoon registry comes through and we can move up to a Deluxe!

$crooge McDuck

Original Poster
To update: Raglan has been changed to Artist Point - because we're going to be staying at Wilderness Lodge. We may still go to Raglan as we're leaving Disney on our last dining credit, or pay cash or something, but that'll be decided later. Does WL have any good dining options for breakfast?

slappy magoo

Whispering Canyon Cafe is a popular breakfast place with great food. Noisy. Not a character meal per se, but the wait staff are definitely "characters," and are meant to be sassy/folksy/fun-bordering-on-the-obnoxious. Think 50s Prime Time transplanted to a Cracker Barrel (but with better food). Given an opportunity, they will try to make you look silly, so have a sense of humor going in.

stlbobby

Don't discount Ragland Road. The food is outstanding and in the evening the entertainment first rate. Artist Point is great, but RR is more festive. Ironically, the more typical food at RR can be a nice change of pace after so many signature spots. Some of the best burgers in the world, not WDW, the world.

Narccoossee's is the best kept secret at WDW. I'd drop Citrico's for Narccoossee's. Citrico's is fine for a business meeting, but Narcoossee's is more intimate and has a more adventurous menu. Their fillet is exquisite.

At the Cali Grill ask for the wine room. With just the two of you and it being your honeymoon you should get a seat. You may have to wait a bit longer, but it is worth it. The wine room is reserved for smaller adult parties. It is quieter and the service is better, not that any service at CG is bad, but this is where they put the best servers, and the view is amazing.

I'd keep the Brown Derby. This is still one of my favorites. The boards keep lamenting its decline, but I ate there in December and had a great time. Here you should wait for a booth. The floor can get crowded and feel a bit like a cafeteria.

For breakfast, the Crystal Palace in MK is the top, but 1900 Park Fare and 'Ohana are also great. CP has the Pooh characters and a great location, 1900 has Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter--and they talk--'Ohana has Stitch for breakfast.

A few others to keep in mind The Yacht's Man's Steakhouse is awesome, I had my wedding reception there, Whispering Canyon has great hearty fare and a fun atmosphere, and Shutter's at Old Port Royale is an off the beaten path gem.

One last tip, don't forget to get your honeymoon pins either at your resort or at guest services of any park. The CM's do a great job of making things extra special when they know you are celebrating.

Korrieleslie

Totally agree with the last post RR is really fun and the food is fantastic. I think The Crystal palace is WAY overrated. I hear that for breakfast as well as for dinner Kouzzinas is great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom