Delux resort with a 2 1/2 year old

tommyboy12099

Original Poster
For some reason I was getting e-mails that people were replying but none ever showed up on the forum so I never saw any responses. I think the site was down. For all who replied could you try again? Your experiences are always the best guide for me. Thanks

Upvote 0

missy28

Poly!

I recently survived a stint at the Poly Concierge with a friend and her slew of kiddies (ages 11, 5, and 3 yr old twin girls), and the place was GREAT for them. The concierge servicve actually saved $$ on food, since we could eat breakfast, a snack, and a light dinner, not to mention free evening cocktails for the grown-ups! (Which we needed after a day in the parks with that crew!)

It's on the monorail and it's just a quick ride to the 2 and a half year old's Mecca-- The Magic Kingdom, and close enough to jump back for a nap and swin in the afternoon when everyone's cranky.

Also, it's a great place to watch the fireworks if the little one is scared of loud noises. The twins are preemies, and hate loud noises-- so this was perfect for them!

The pool has a great waterslide, and offers free lifejackets for the little ones. The character breakfast at O'Hana is not to be missed-- with the mouse Himself. There is also a fast food type restaurant as well, for quick snacks.

But if you can budget concierge, it might be worth the extra$$. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

I tried to help before, honest I did!! Anyway, I've only stayed at GF and Poly. The last trip was concierge at the Poly, and it was soooooooooo nice! It's up to you, really. I'm sure you're going to get the typical "GF isn't as kid friendly, blah blah, blah" but don't listen. I've had all my kids (4 of them now) at varying ages at both those resorts, and never had any trouble. But yes, concierge was definitely a wonderful thing, if you can do it. And, 2 1/2 is so young, I wouldn't even worry at this point about planning the hotel around him/her. Save that for later, when he/she will actually be picky about it!! Choose the place that you feel is the most suited to you... the theme you think you'd enjoy the most. Truthfully, I think I like Poly the best. To walk around with a pina colada, and listen to the music, and the breeze through the trees... Okay, I'm going to cry now. :lol: Have fun, whatever you choose!:wave:

Upvote 0

Figaro

We took our son when he was 1 and again when he was 3 to the Contemporary. He loved it. At the end of the day at the MK, we were able to avoid the crowds going back to hotels by walking. The game room is huge and they have those games where you earn tickets to trade in for prizes. Also, he thought it was really fun watching the monorail go through the hotel. The playground was pretty good, but I think the one at Poly is a little nicer. It's also where Chef Mickey's is.

We had problems with our rooms both trips. First trip we stayed in the wings and the toilet broke and leaked all over the bathroom 2 different nights. Second trip in the tower, the A/C didn't work.

We're hoping to try the Polynesian with him this year (he'll be 4).

I know you asked about monorail hotels, but the AKL is really great for kids of all ages. We stayed there with him when he was 2. He loved it! It was really easy to talk him into going back to the room for a nap when he could see all the animals from his room.

The only hotel I personally would stay away from with a toddler is the Grand Floridian. But that's just b/c I wouldn't feel comfortable with him there. He's very "high-spirited", as my husband says. Doesn't seem like there is much for him anyway.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I agree with Figaro on the Contemporary. With a child that young it has a lot to offer. Chef Mickey's for one. You have the food and fun center also which has fast snacks aimed towards kids. They have a wading pool for toddlers located near the North Garden wing section. You have a view of the electrical water pageant from this resort. And if you get a tower room with a Mk view, you can watch the fireworks right from you balcony!

Pam

Upvote 0

beast

No wadding pool at Contemporary

The Contemporary Resort no longer has a children's wadding pool. I stayed in the North Garden Wing last May. From what I've read there used to be a wadding pool located there, but it was replaced by the playground. There appeared to be an area near the main pool that contained sprinklers/fountains for the children. They weren't functioning when I was there.

The walkway to the Magic Kingdom (10 minute walk) is a plus
for children. You'll save time by using the walkway instead of the monorail if it's crowded at the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Re: No wadding pool at Contemporary

Originally posted by beast
The Contemporary Resort no longer has a children's wadding pool. I stayed in the North Garden Wing last May. From what I've read there used to be a wadding pool located there, but it was replaced by the playground. There appeared to be an area near the main pool that contained sprinklers/fountains for the children. They weren't functioning when I was there.

The walkway to the Magic Kingdom (10 minute walk) is a plus
for children. You'll save time by using the walkway instead of the monorail if it's crowded at the Magic Kingdom.

Thanks for the update, that's good to know.

pam

Upvote 0

Carrousel Lover

Another vote for the Polynesian

We have a 3 yr old and we went twice last year at 2 1/2 and 23 months. We stayed at the Polynesian and the Beach Club. Love them both but since we spend more time at MK the Polynesian is better for us now. DD likes Epcot and loves SAB at the BC but again MK...With the Polynesian you have more transport options - boat or monorail to MK and monorail to Epcot by walking to TTC from the resort. Good luck on your final decision.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

I can only compare the Contemporary with the Beach Club. One thing I discovered in our last two trips is how much difference proximity makes in your schedule. When we stayed at the Contemporary, we visited the MK four different times in six days (we never stay the whole day - we visit for a couple of hours in the morning, go back to the hotel, then visit another park for a couple of hours in the evening). When we stayed at the Beach Club, we went to Epcot multiple times. I found it interesting how much we gravitated towards the park that was closest. Especially when the park was within walking distance.

So, if you think your 2 1/2 year old will enjoy the MK more than Epcot (and I think that's a pretty safe bet), you are better off at a monorail resort like the Contemporary. In addition, my kids loved the Contemporary's game room. It's enormous and geared towards kids of all ages (as opposed to the Beach Club's, which is meant for older kids).

On the other hand, if arcades don't matter and you don't plan to visit any given park multiple times during your trip, the Beach Club's pool (StormAlong Bay) is far superior than the Contemporary's pool for toddlers, kids, and adults. You can't go wrong either way, really.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Staying at a monorail resort is definitely the way to go with a little one. By going in the off season; we just strolled Jr. right on. Having to fold the stroller, grab the diaper bag (or the change of clothes we always had for him), grab the camera bag, then the boys.......whew, I needed a break when we got on a bus. When we stayed at the Contemporary, Jr. was 18 months old and it was nice just to jump on the monorail to get back for a nap. Now at the age of 8, the Polynesian is his favorite. He loves the pool and always seems to make friends there.

Upvote 0

disneyagain!

I'm not sure if you are just looking for monorail resorts but we've travelled multiple times and stayed a number of places with our two kids (now 5, 3). Our vote goes to the Beach Club. No it's not next to the Magic Kingdom but it is within walking distance of Epcot and MGM. MGM is awesome for toddlers with Playhouse Disney. There is also boat service to MGM. The pool is the best on property for a 2 1/2 yo. It is sand bottom with zero entry-just like the beach! I have stayed at GF & Poly but would still recommend Beach Club the highest if you have kids! Don't forget the Surrey Bike Rentals next door at the Boardwalk...the kids love that! Don't worry any Deluxe resort will be fine. We've done moderate also but the bus gets a little hairy in the morning and at closing if you have a stroller. Have a blast and don't let anyone ever tell you your child is too you to take to Disney. Our crew even enjoyed it at < 1yo!:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Ok, I tried to post this before, honest!

We have stayed at Poly and BCV with our DD (Poly she was 8 1/2 months old BCV she was just under 2 years old.

Both are great. Poly has wonderful relaxed theming and the monorail is great. The room size is good too. The pool is nice, zero entry so they can play in it easily. No playgound, no hot tub. Location is wonderful.

BCV was the best! I can't say enough good things about Storm Along Bay. My DD had the best time there of the whole trip. The pools are amazing. It has a very large sand bottom wading pool (2 feet deep max, and very shallow at some places.) My DD played in the sand there forever. She was very unsure at 1st and it took her a while to "warm up" but she LOVED IT! There is lots of room to run and play, another kiddy pool and a small playround set perfect for 2 year olds. Beaches and creams was another hit. Also you can walk to Epcot, boat to MGM and boardwalk a night. Nice when non of the other parks are open late and you want to go to Epcot every night anyway. The bus service was fine. I must admit that BCV is better then BC, just because it is DVC and you can't beat that. (freg, and microwave in room, even in a "studio".

If you need the mororail and being close to MK, then go with poly, if you want a great pool and wonderful resort go with BC, and see if you can get a studio at BCV, even better!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom