deleted

eliza61nyc

I searched for the expression on Google and found surprisingly few results. If I recall correctly, @eliza61nyc said she heard it from a nun!

Yep, now I'm a little older so when I was in elementary and high school we had the "old" school nuns that ran around with rulers and full habits. Anyhoo, we had a nun Sister Mary Catherine and that was one of her favorite sayings.
every trick we tried she would say...."that stunt is two days older than Christ" or "Kids have been doing that since Jesus was a boy".

lol, her other favorite saying when she would get disgusted with us..

"Sweet Mary, mother of a teenage Jesus"

People with a problem with it are free to contact to Archdiocese of New York. I am not about to apologize over a saying that is in no way sacrilegious.
For the love of >>>

LittleBuford

Yep, now I'm a little older so when I was in elementary and high school we had the "old" school nuns that ran around with rulers and full habits. Anyhoo, we had a nun Sister Mary Catherine and that was one of her favorite sayings.
every trick we tried she would say...."that stunt is two days older than Christ" or "Kids have been doing that since Jesus was a boy".

lol, her other favorite saying when she would get disgusted with us..

"Sweet Mary, mother of a teenage Jesus"

People with a problem with it are free to contact to Archdiocese of New York.

A nun with a wicked sense of humour!

I'm suddenly in the mood to watch Sister Act.

eliza61nyc

A nun with a wicked sense of humour!

I'm suddenly in the mood to watch Sister Act.

lol, it's worse than that, one of the Parrish priest went on to be a NBA referee. and according to my dad played a mean game of poker. I grew up in the middle Harlem, god love 'em . They truly made religious education fun.
Lord knows I will refrain from using them again here but methinks this has nothing to do with 60 year old sayings ;)

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In my opinion, the Disney company that we once knew of is dead. There is no longer a drive for excellence or innovation. Creativity and quality are minor considerations.

The Disney of today is only ever interested in its stock price. That's it. That's all there is in this era. The ONLY focus is to pump up the stock price. Iger has resorted to turning the parks and the Disney legacy into some overpriced, minimum quality effort. The Stock price is the "Pimp" that every other aspect of Disney must suffer under.

Disney parks have now been reduced to the cheapest possible "come on" at the maximum price levels. It's all one big con job. Disney is depending on your sense of nostalgia when you consider a Disney vacation. They are hoping that you don't notice that it's all one big hustle for your cash while providing you with the minimum effort.

My favorite con of all is when Iger says that the parks are too crowded, so we must raise prices.

If the parks are too crowded where are all the phased closings and why are they building more resort rooms?

For years the parks have pretty much been abandoned. Occasionally, Disney would throw us a bone with a reimagined this or that and minor expansions. Epcot has especially paid the price of the Disney Parks collapse. It's basically been turned into a yearlong food court. Disney cares not a bit about anything going on in Epcot. They only care if they can get you to pay 8 dollars for a 3-ounce premixed margarita and 7 dollars for 3 frozen dumplings. After all, the Stock Pimp must be paid.

If it weren't for the competition from Universal, the parks would be completely stagnant and would sink into ever increasing levels of disrepair and dysfunction. All while the pretty commercials show you a Disney parks experience that is disappearing before our eyes.

As for the I.P. infiltrating the parks it's because it's cheaper than innovation and it's cross marketing the brands. I.P. is basically the laziest way they can do things in the parks. They are hoping that by cramming down your throat, the latest entertainment effort, they can build a following. Disney used to be the definition of entertainment greatness. Not so much anymore. Now the entertainment is purchased off the shelf, and prepackaged.

They only problem with that is that there is no shelf life when a concept has no greatness. That's a problem that Universal suffers from. So, we are seeing the once almighty Disney abandon its history of crafting fantastic themes and concepts and buying them off the shelf with short expiration dates.

Always remember that the Disney of today is ONLY a con job designed to escalate the stock price. Iger is destroying everything we love about the Disney legacy. He's cheapening it and selling out, all for higher dividends.

That's why all this is happening.

~NM
Disney bought ABC. ABC took over Disney.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I never understood the upcharge hate. If you don't think its worth it, don't do it. If you think its worth it, do it. To each their own.
We generally don't hate upcharges unless they replaced a benefit formerly included with resort stays or some other paid-for experience.

eliza61nyc

No, not really. But as the world gets more politically correct, we must also learn to not exclude the various faith communities from the same considerations we give others in our speech and writing.

Talking about returning things to the way it was, I wish we'd go back to a time before we were so PC and sensitive. A time when people could read an entire sentence and infer whether the sentence was actually offensive, when if you said it was raining cats and dogs, nobody thought it was animal cruelty or if someone said the devil was beating his wife, no one thought the writer condoned spousal abuse.
Lol there is actually a thread on the chitchat forum about Mary Poppins is racist because of the chimney sweep scene.
We've become a nation of snowflakes.

eliza61nyc

You want a good example of a Changing Demographic you say? Try comparing watching the Very Merry Parades from several Years ago to the atrocity of what it is from the past few years...

Ok so i only got through 30 minutes of each but I gotta ask, I didn't see any thing vastly better between the two.
I mean I did giggle that they had Mayim Balyak because I know she's Jewish so I thought that was funny but basically they follow the same formula. ABC daytime host (Regis/Robin) bunch of singing guest and Disney floats. 2015 leans more heavily on pop stars but hey, Reba's a class act and was Arianna on the Disney channel?

Shouldigo12

Ok so i only got through 30 minutes of each but I gotta ask, I didn't see any thing vastly better between the two.
I mean I did giggle that they had Mayim Balyak because I know she's Jewish so I thought that was funny but basically they follow the same formula. ABC daytime host (Regis/Robin) bunch of singing guest and Disney floats. 2015 leans more heavily on pop stars but hey, Reba's a class act and was Arianna on the Disney channel?
Ariana was on a Nickolodeon show (two actually), but that's close enough haha.

Cmdr_Crimson

The earlier versions show more of the parks and characters and what the resort has to offer....I was more excited to see this during this time and the Easter Parades...

The new ones are just awful....You think your going to hear about Galaxy's Edge? Think again! Here's a video of a family getting a free trip to Disney and what they thought about it...And now let's get back to the parade for 3 floats and then get to some no-name butchering a Christmas song..Yep can't see a difference there....

Tony the Tigger

A respectfully disagree. Using "two days older than christ" is offensive. You're talking about God in the flesh here.

The expression meant (clearly) that something was 2,019 years old.

There was nothing derogatory said about Jesus.

If you think there was, show it.

You’re beginning to sound like the people who won’t let you draw a picture of Muhammed.

Goofyernmost

No, not really. But as the world gets more politically correct, we must also learn to not exclude the various faith communities from the same considerations we give others in our speech and writing.
As long as it is legit and not just the perverted thinking of an individual that has lost a grasp on reality and finds the need to be offended when what is said has no slanderous connotation at all. Words are words and in all cases interpretation is in the mind of the beholder. Just because you see something as wrong, does not make it wrong. It is up to each individual to determine what is right or wrong (remember free will supplied by god) and live their own life in that light. You are not in charge of others or their possible destiny. God is supposed to do the judging. If they did something wrong it will be part of the big court in the sky. You go to your church and the rest of us will go to ours. (or not) In other words we can't stop you from being offended, (truthfully or imaginary), it is however none of your business what others do or say. If you want to get offended that is up to you. Just make sure that there are no skeletons in your closet.

If you don't think that god has a sense of humor, look at the person standing next to you or a mirror, as far as that goes. That's what I do. 😬

Last edited:

RandySavage

^In my parents' generation, nice people would do their best to avoid saying "J.C." as light exasperation or "Christ Almighty!" or those kinds of things. It was/is considered a polite, genteel way of communicating with people, for the reasons Mark mentioned: to many raised that way, it's blaspheming. I still try to follow my parents' example, though its incredibly commonplace to hear it in tv, movies and most peoples' lives.

eliza61nyc

The earlier versions show more of the parks and characters and what the resort has to offer....I was more excited to see this during this time and the Easter Parades...

The new ones are just awful....You think your going to hear about Galaxy's Edge? Think again! Here's a video of a family getting a free trip to Disney and what they thought about it...And now let's get back to the parade for 3 floats and then get to some no-name butchering a Christmas song..Yep can't see a difference there....

ah cmdr, I guess I just don't see a huge drop in quality. Now I wouldn't call Reba Mcintire, Seal and Ariana Grande exactly no name but come on, every body that can hold a mic has a Christmas album and some would say they like the stars better than the no named mall carol singers in the first

Once again what you are describing is purely subjective based on what one likes. again I only got through 30 minutes of each so maybe the first one became spectacular later in the viewing. both were too dull to watch 30 minutes of it.

Different does not equal worse.

eliza61nyc

^In my parents' generation, nice people would do their best to avoid saying "J.C." as light exasperation or "Christ Almighty!" or those kinds of things. It was/is considered a polite, genteel way of communicating with people, for the reasons Mark mentioned: to many raised that way, it's blaspheming. I still try to follow my parents' example, though its incredibly commonplace to hear it in tv, movies and most peoples' lives

A very funny comic who has had a fall from grace did a routine in his early standup days about how he and his brother thought their names were Jesus and Christ" almuighty because they were always in trouble and their mother started every sentence by that.

Did anyone here take the SAT's, do they still have that section on English where you had to read a paragraph and then "infer' what the writer was talking about? you would get some multiple choices about what the next sentence or thought would be?

Now you are going to have to explain to me how some one saying "man that car is 2 days older than Christ" is in anyway shape or form condescending or insulting or if some one is watching a football game and says "Jesus, did you see that hit he got"?

When I was a little girl, we had to wear some type of head covering and get dressed up to go to Mass every Sunday, most women don't wear hats and gloves to church and teens wear sneakers and jeans.

so actually once again, it makes a point. this is not 1960 and simply taking the time to read and listen to the tone of the sentence goes a long way.

Yes, I have heard older folks say to not take the "lords name in vain" but I figure since a nun taught it too me, she got permission but believe me I will definitely not say it again. Lord knows (is that ok?) I do not want to get folks in an uproar again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom