20170810_202731.jpg
20170810_202447.jpg
20170810_202251.jpg
20170810_202239_HDR.jpg
20170810_201250.jpg
20170810_200625.jpg
My last ride today....sure going to miss it

yoda_5729

Bummed about the loss of both of these classic rides. :( Both were not only classic in ride designs, but in the reality that they both were opening day attractions for their parks. I hope somehow the dinosaurs from Energy can be replicated somewhere, and perhaps something to give the Great Movie Ride it's proper respect. A bit of my childhood just faded off over the horizon (no pun intended). GMR helped me appreciate older movies. For that, I will be forever thankful.

Last edited:

Movielover

As a major film buff like myself I will always remember the first time I went on The Great Movie Ride as a youngling. Disney's MGM Studios was and still is my favorite park and GMR was a major part of that. However I look towards the park's future with great excitement! I take comfort in the fact that I own all the movies that were represented in the ride, and also countless more great movies that were not. These films will always be with me because you can't truly erase a great movie from your mind. I'll always remember the great moments in film, like when Gene Kelly sang and danced in a downpour of milk, or when Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman had their heartbreaking goodbye in front of the airplane. Or the time when Clint Eastwood dueled for a fistful of dollars, or when Christopher Reeve convinced us that a man could truly fly. Those fantastic moments when Luke Skywalker faced off against an evil empire, and the classic look at space travel from the mind of Georges Méliès. Or most importantly that time when my father showed me a film where Indiana Jones explored tombs, battle Nazi's and became legend in my favorite movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark! I say bring on Mickey and Minnie for I will never forget the "The spectacular journey into the movies"!

KBLovedDisney

After riding GMR for the last time this weekend, I feel like they are making huge a mistake with getting rid of it. IMHO, they should have just decided to update it is all. :cry: GMR, you will be greatly missed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
After riding GMR for the last time this weekend, I feel like they are making huge a mistake with getting rid of it. IMHO, they should have just decided to update it is all. :cry: GMR, you will be greatly missed.
There's no reason why we couldn't have had GMR and Mickey aside from money.

Same as Energy and Guardians. Or even Guardians wholly in Energy.

ppete1975

There's no reason why we couldn't have had GMR and Mickey aside from money.

Same as Energy and Guardians. Or even Guardians wholly in Energy.
Money as in upkeep and staffing? Or new buildings being more expensive than overlays? GMR I understand, but the rebuild for UOE to me a new building would be as cheap.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Money as in upkeep and staffing? Or new buildings being more expensive than overlays? GMR I understand, but the rebuild for UOE to me a new building would be as cheap.
Both rides needed extensive work doing to them.

Conversely GotG has an astronomical price tag. A new build could have been cheaper but that's not going to happen.

Raineman

My first trip to WDW in 1990 when I was a teenager, my favorite parks were Epcot and Disney MGM Studios. My favorite rides in those parks? UoE, Horizons and GMR. It's hard not to feel like a piece of my childhood has died when these classic attractions are closed and replaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom